Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Lenovo is getting noticed. I wonder how many people chose a Lenovo lap top over Apple lap tops?

Lenovo is eating sales from Dell and Acer running Windows.

----------

That must be one stupid professor. OS X was based on an open source Unix-based system. In fact, it is more POSIX compliant that Linux is!

To be more precise, OS X is 100% POSIX Compliance, Linux is not.

The Linux Kernel in the past several releases have added a lot of `features' into the kernel and shown to lock up on my me on a weekly basis, and that's running Debian Kernels which haven't moved Linux 3.2 out of Unstable and into the Stable branch yet, never mind Linux Kernel 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 and the nearly released 3.8.

That release often also includes, fix often.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
HP and Dell sell more PC's?

how much money do they make on them? None?

As for DELL... they've been a sinking ship in recent years. They've had declining sales year-over-year for a while now. CEO Michael Dell should do the right thing, just close shop, sell the remaining assets of the company and give it back to the shareholders. ;)

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
So over the past 6 years, Apple have tripled their hold on the PC market (from 4 to 12%)...

Just in time for Apple to basically phase out their PCs...

I went into an AppleStore the other day... they had row after row of iPod, iPad, iPhone, and some MacBooks... then on one wall in the corner, they had 1 each of the iMac models, and a Mac Mini.

Mini-Apple Stores here in Myer no longer seem to stock iMacs... (and never Mac Pros - even at AppleStores they are not an absolute display model)

Yes, PC can probably be laptop as well as desktop... No, I'm not ringing the death knell for PCs... But they're certainly not something Apple seems to be placing any priority on these days... (due of course to the massive income streams from the iOS devices and AppStore)

forcenine

macrumors member
May 23, 2008
The data says "shipments" but the article title says "sales". I feel like you don't even try anymore, Macrumors.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I have nothing against Dell as i previously used on before migrating to apple i see it like a parallel or alternate to Apple with no crap ware installed on purchase however for HP to maintain the top with a whole heap of crap ware upon purchasing is a puzzle to me, my pavilion used to have preinstalled software that would crash upon load up bringing those annoying pop up windows, however my friend who has a toshiba gets far more error messages in windows 7 from this preinstalled junk .

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
If you're in a university the chances are most of the computers around you will be macs.

(Funny side-note: We had a linux obsessed lecturer who spent 2 hours shouting at everyone in the room for being on a Mac or Windows machine, and he stood there with his laptop giving a presentation. Literally as he said "Those crappy closed source operating systems are so unreliable" his laptop locked up. Needless to say the lecture ended at that point. :D)

I had one of those linux people once, but he had some gobbled up distro that was like random pieces put together on his own and didn't even have fat32 or ntfs support and had the most ghetto window manager I have ever seen. This guy was a hardcore linux guy. Its not so bad if you use a good distro but this guys custom job mess was horrible. We were trying to get a file onto a flash drive but it didn't have support for FAT and he was like why the heck would I need that windows filesystem. What a weirdo lol. I am a huge android geek though. Android is like the only linux I can use for more than a few days at a time without wanting to wipe it off my system and put something else back on lol.

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
This isn't such a big thing to me, or at least I don't think its a big deal.

The reason I first got the Mac was because of the small tight knit community in the first place.

I think the small market share really did something in the ways of applications. The people who initially wrote them were fans themselves, a lot of good applications, the free ones especially, were written out of a love for the platform, not just for profits, though I'm sure there was plenty of that.

The larger the market got for Macs, the more I see these...really crap applications that look like a million other crap windows applications.

Keep it niche, keep it personal :)

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Same price. No Bootcamp, either OS X or Windows. If Windows Mac is available, I would ask IS department to order one for me :p

They can't offer it for the same price. Microsoft charges a fee to license Windows. That cost will be passed on in the price of the product. This is why Bootcamp is included with all Macs. Users who choose to install Windows can do so at their own expense. Users who are not masochists can just use OS X and keep their money.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I find it funny how Apple fans like to give Apple their money. Its like they know they are being over charged but don't mind :eek:

I've owned 6 desktop Macs and 2 laptops since 91... half were 2nd hand... So Apple hasn't made that much on new sales from me...

Also have purchased 3 iPhones, but only 1 new.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
HP and Dell sell more PC's?

how much money do they make on them? None?

This.
Total US profit share of all PCs I think would be Apple dominated. Selling a ****ton of something means nothing if the profits are not there.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
If you're in a university the chances are most of the computers around you will be macs.

(Funny side-note: We had a linux obsessed lecturer who spent 2 hours shouting at everyone in the room for being on a Mac or Windows machine, and he stood there with his laptop giving a presentation. Literally as he said "Those crappy closed source operating systems are so unreliable" his laptop locked up. Needless to say the lecture ended at that point. :D)

That is a cool photo, if there is one area where Apple are still kicking butt its the laptop area.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I've owned 6 desktop Macs and 2 laptops since 91... half were 2nd hand... So Apple hasn't made that much on new sales from me...

Also have purchased 3 iPhones, but only 1 new.

But Apple _did_ benefit from you. If you hadn't bought these used computers and phones, the seller wouldn't have had the money to buy new devices, but they would have kept using them. So Apple wouldn't have sold new devices to them.

(The seller might have had enough money to buy a new device, but it might not have been worth it. If I sell a used iPad 3 for $399 and buy an iPad 4 for $499, it costs me $100 to upgrade from iPad 3 to iPad 4. If I buy an iPad 4 for $499, and put the iPad 3 into a drawer, never to use it again, the upgrade costs $499. Even though I have the money, it's not worth it).

Same price. No Bootcamp, either OS X or Windows. If Windows Mac is available, I would ask IS department to order one for me :p

Ask them if your company has a company license for Windows. Where I work, I could install Windows for free (legally), and quite a few Windows-only users are using Macs. Mostly MBAs.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
I have nothing against Dell as i previously used on before migrating to apple i see it like a parallel or alternate to Apple with no crap ware installed
Dell or HP or any PC in my conference room would be banned the first time their noisy fans came on interfering with the meeting.

Not one of any of the Macs with fans on is even noticeable.
It actually used to worry me that I never heard them.

They knew How to Win me over - Light sensitive reactive Lighted Keys - and Total Silence.
No one had it. Worked 8 years ago - still works.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Dell or HP or any PC in my conference room would be banned the first time their noisy fans came on interfering with the meeting.

Sorry, but when the fans spin up on a Mac at 6000 rpm, you definately hear them.

My Macs are no more silent than my work PC. In fact, I can barely hear my Elitebook right now, my MacBook Pro is a screamer.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Sorry, but when the fans spin up on a Mac at 6000 rpm, you definately hear them.

My Macs are no more silent than my work PC. In fact, I can barely hear my Elitebook right now, my MacBook Pro is a screamer.

Agreed -

You can most certainly hear the fans on my MacBook Pro's. LOUDLY.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
Agreed -
They only way you hear my MBP is during video compression.
Otherwise Silent.

Even the fans on MacPro are set to
719 rpm on PS,
1124 rpm on Exhaust,
993 rpm on IO,
1023 rpm on CPU,

The MacPro's exhaust is 2 feet from my screen facing the screen - barely noticeable.
They never ramp up - the hottest - RAM at 136.4f.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Otherwise Silent.

719 rpm on PS,
1124 rpm on Exhaust,
993 rpm on IO,
1023 rpm on CPU,

The MacPro's exhaust is 2 feet from my screen facing the screen - barely noticeable.

That's nice. That's your experience. I shared mine.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
And yet, in a later post, you complain about the uber-low-cost systems you have to use at work where they are chosen purely by pricing.

Most people want the product lines they depend upon to be healthy. Beyond that I doubt they care. Apple isn't anywhere near collapse. No one but investors should really care whether they hit earnings predictions.

They knew How to Win me over - Light sensitive reactive Lighted Keys - and Total Silence.
No one had it. Worked 8 years ago - still works.

Are you really suggesting that PC notebook fans rev up under light use?

Otherwise Silent.

719 rpm on PS,
1124 rpm on Exhaust,
993 rpm on IO,
1023 rpm on CPU,

Mine grows noisy whenever I use it in anything heavy.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
I find it funny how Apple fans like to give Apple their money. Its like they know they are being over charged but don't mind :eek:

overcharged how? Macbooks have the best trackpads, great clean sleek designs, durable and great quality. Apple also has great customer support in the sense that you dont have to send your laptop away for AT LEAST 2 weeks to fix it if anything's wrong.

If you're used to great things please dont comment about them.

----------

Agreed -

have to agree w this. Even when Im doing nothing I can still hear the slight buzz. Nothing major but I was expecting dead silence. :D

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
its the opposite at my university. all those tec nerds HATE apple for some reason. its quite funny. when im in economics class i see lots of macbooks and iphones. once i go to databases class all i see is samsung smartphones and windows laptops. some actually give me the evil eye when i unpack my macbook. redic

Yes! Same Here! In my Gen Eds Apple gets so much love but once I go into my Computer Information System classes everyone likes to say "Apple is over priced *****" etc etc.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Yes! Same Here! In my Gen Eds Apple gets so much love but once I go into my Computer Information System classes everyone likes to say "Apple is over priced *****" etc etc.

As they say, a little knowledge is dangerous.

Where I work, all the software developers (in other words, people who aren't just starting to learn about computers, but who make their living writing software for them) are switching to Macs.

Mac + Xcode + Objective-C + clang + GCD + ARC = heaven.

But I guess the guys in the Computer Information System classes don't know most of those words.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
As they say, a little knowledge is dangerous.

Where I work, all the software developers (in other words, people who aren't just starting to learn about computers, but who make their living writing software for them) are switching to Macs.

Mac + Xcode + Objective-C + clang + GCD + ARC = heaven.

But I guess the guys in the Computer Information System classes don't know most of those words.

Yeah. The most irritating part of is that 99% have never used. Mac and have no idea how to do anything on them. I would be embarrassed if I was going to school for computers but had no idea how to use unix or Linux and only knew windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.