Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psybear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
I know it has been asked before but there's not much available via the Apple Store and the choice on Amazon is bewildering. I don't want to be repeatedly fumbling around the back of my new toy (first iMac) any more than I have to.

So powered or unpowered - I'm guessing powered? I'm also guessing USB 3.0 so as not to lose the advantage of the newer technology - but that really cuts down the choices on Amazon... in fact I can only see this one fitting the bill, and (a) it's not the prettiest and (b) it comes with various 'compatibility' warnings:

Compatibility

*NOTE* 2012 Mac Mini and 2012 MacBook Pro with Retina Display are currently not recommended for use with this product. Compatible with USB 3.0 hosts, Windows 8 and earlier, Mac 10.8 (see note below), and recent Linux kernels. The hub requires no driver install (although individual devices will, as usual). Compatibility notes:

* 2.4Ghz wireless devices, such as wireless keyboard and mouse adapters, may not work in close proximity to USB 3.0 devices or hubs. Connecting to a USB 2.0 port is recommended.
* Some USB 3.0 devices require a direct connection to host USB 3.0 ports, including some USB 3.0 hard disks.
* On sleep, Mac OS X 10.8 disconnects USB hard disks attached to USB 3.0 hubs. We recommend connecting directly to your Mac or disable sleep.

:confused:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Looks good but unfortunately not available in UK.

Closest match seems to be this one, not as pretty!

I'm looking for one for my newbie too...No rush as my BTO won;'t ship until January, but a word of caution on one make...Ustream. Amazon sell these in the UK, and my buddy next door bought one for his new 21.5" It can't even supply enough juice to run a CD reader....Tried it with a standard no frills model and my Apple superdrive. In both cases I got the "Insufficient Power" message. It will read and write to USB sticks, but I need to power things like my CH flight control yoke as well as a couple of other things...The one in your link looks ok, but I'm going to keep looking...Post back if you find anything better...I'd rather spend a few more ££ than wind up having to send one back.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Other than my external drive and optical drive, everything else I own is USB 2.0. So, I bought a powered 7-port USB hub 2.0 which can charge devices. Read the fine print and reviews. Many say that they will not charge a device. You also need to see how much power goes to each port. I got a Tripp Lite for my iPhone/iPad/iPod/iPod Shuffle/Suunto Ambit Watch. I've had good luck with Tripp Lite for UPS systems.http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=784&txtModelID=3167

Gascogne

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Sweden
I'm getting this one when it will be updated to usb 3.0.
Currently they working on a updated version but no date is available. :p

Satechi Premium 4 Port Aluminum USB Hub

Attachments

• 05_5.jpg
    05_5.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,574

psybear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012

Interesting becuase your link takes me to the same product as the link above takes me to on the US site - but this is not the same product as that Amazon US link used to link to... if that makes sense? The link was originally to a much sleeker looking hub. I think it was this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007BWTOHU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

I'm sorted anyway. I bought this one and I am very happy with it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chipset-Usp...ompatible/dp/B007ZW1TYW/ref=pd_cp_computers_1

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Mr

Interesting becuase your link takes me to the same product as the link above takes me to on the US site - but this is not the same product as that Amazon US link used to link to... if that makes sense? The link was originally to a much sleeker looking hub. I think it was this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007BWTOHU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

I'm sorted anyway. I bought this one and I am very happy with it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chipset-Usp...ompatible/dp/B007ZW1TYW/ref=pd_cp_computers_1

I only saw the Apple Style aluminium one when I happened to clicked on the section where it says SIZE NAME: then underneath that it shows, 4 ports, 7 ports, 10 ports, 10 ports Apple Style. From the list I chose the Apple Style aluminium one.

The one in the last link of your last post (4 port model) features the same VIA VL812 Chipset that the one I've ordered has.

I'm a bit concerned as to if the hub will work OK, as from what I've read, some USB 3 hubs can be a bit problematic.

Nice to hear your very happy with it. With you having the latest iMac and with the hub working OK, then hopefully I should have the same outcome when I use the hub on my new iMac (when it arrives).

Would you be able to tell me what devices you have connected to your hub and whether they are USB 2 or USB 3?

Thanks.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
This is the best looking one so far for 3.0

Belkin SuperSpeed USB 3.0 4-Port Hub. $50.

Looks like the apple tv.

psybear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012

And once again I say, that was not the one that that link originally pointed to, it was a much sleeker device. :)

Anyway, @ fatboy71, so far I have had mine connected to a USB 2.0 hard drive, and iPad, and iPhone, a USB 2.0 CF reader and a USpeed (same brand) USB 3.0 CF reader. No issues at all and the black finish suits as it sits on top of a black external drive. The blue leds are useful too, and not intrusive.

lee27

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012

The Satechi Premium 4 Port Aluminum USB Hub looks great :)
I'll also Waite for the updated version.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
@ fatboy71, so far I have had mine connected to a USB 2.0 hard drive, and iPad, and iPhone, a USB 2.0 CF reader and a USpeed (same brand) USB 3.0 CF reader. No issues at all and the black finish suits as it sits on top of a black external drive. The blue leds are useful too, and not intrusive.

Thanks very much for the help its much appreciated. Glad to see yours has been issue free. Hopefully with your hub and the hub I've ordered having the same chipset, I should see similar results.

I'll post back with an update when I receive my iMac and I've had a chance to connect all the devices up to the hub. Thanks again.

msg362

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Thailand
USB 3.0 hub

I got this one from Ebay- expensive-£37 but neat and works fine

USB Cable 7 Ports USB 3.0 HUB High Speed 5Gbps H7928-U3 5V/4A Adapter Easy use.

Can't seem to copy the picture, but look it up. Each port has an indicator light. I'm running 5 of the 7 ports at present with no problem. It's powered

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I don't know how many USB slots you need but this is what I got. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BWTOHU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

The design is sleek and stylish, works as intended (but is not a charging device), small and light form factor (a bit smaller than the size of a deck of cards), and the price is just right.

The hub that you've purchased (the Apple Style aluminium 10 port model) is the same one as I have purchased for my new iMac (which I'm waiting to be delivered). I noticed from your signature that you have the new iMac.

I was wondering if you could tell me if you have noticed any issues, problems etc with the hub and your iMac and the devices connected to the hub?

And also, could you tell me what devices you have connected to the hub and also whether they are USB 2 or USB 3.

I would really appreciate it if you would be able to reply back with some answers to my questions.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK

Seems a really nice looking hub and a good match for the contour of the trackpad, wireless keyboard etc, but the USB cable on it seems to be far too short, most are at least 1 metre. It's ok I guess if its going to be placed on the foot of the iMac's stand I suppose.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
USB 2.0/3.0 Hubs

I already have two ancient USB hubs from 2.0 days and six years ago, being used with my PPC G5 for various gadgets: printer, joystick, scanner, camera and other SDs, etc.

Despite the glamour of USB 3.0 I see no need to run out and buy a new, shiny 3.0 hub since I don't think my supported gadgets will notice the difference of what's on the end of their hub.

Someone with more technical smarts please tell me if I'm wrong. If so, Amazon appears to have some very nice 7 port, powered 3.0 hubs.

My 2012 27" BTO iMac being delivered today from MacMall, so I guess I may find out whether the old ones will be OK:confused:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
A lot of the readily available name brand 3.0 hubs from places like micro center, etc, seem to have the ports split to no more than 4 usb3 and the rest usb2 for some reason.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I already have two ancient USB hubs from 2.0 days and six years ago, being used with my PPC G5 for various gadgets: printer, joystick, scanner, camera and other SDs, etc.

Despite the glamour of USB 3.0 I see no need to run out and buy a new, shiny 3.0 hub since I don't think my supported gadgets will notice the difference of what's on the end of their hub.

Someone with more technical smarts please tell me if I'm wrong. If so, Amazon appears to have some very nice 7 port, powered 3.0 hubs.

My 2012 27" BTO iMac being delivered today from MacMall, so I guess I may find out whether the old ones will be OK:confused:

I'm moving from a Windows PC (which has around 8 USB 2 ports on it) to a iMac which only has 4 USB 3 ports. So I need a USB hub and as I'm in the market for a new USB hub, I figured that I might as well go for a USB 3 hub over a USB 2 hub as I will have the option open to me to purchase USB 3 external hard drives (when I get any new ones) and I've already ordered a USB 3 external hard drive to use on my iMac for Time Machine, and as yet I'm unsure as to if I'll have this connected directly to my iMac or connected to the USB 3 hub that I'm getting, it all depends on where I choose to place this external hard drive.

If all your devices are USB 2 and you have no plans to purchase any USB 3 devices then you might as well stop with your USB 2 hub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.