Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the Greatest iPhone Release to Date!

• iPhone 2007

Votes: 74 22.0%
  • iPhone 3G 2008

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • iPhone 3GS 2009

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • iPhone 4 2010

Votes: 161 47.9%
  • iPhone 4S 2011

Votes: 28 8.3%
  • iPhone 5 2012

Votes: 43 12.8%
  • The Greatest iPhone Moment Still has not Arrived!

Votes: 9 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I love the i5 to be honest. I thought the iphone 3g was so nice when it came out same with the 4. But slate black i5 with unlimited Verizon LTE is amazing

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
I wasn't able to upgrade to the iPhone 4 design until the 4S came out. Now that I have the 4S I see no reason to upgrade. I love the design and my phone still looks like new and it's still plenty fast.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Definitely the iphone 4. Incredible design and features that sent the industry scrambling. Of course it wasn't perfect but the 4s and the 5 fixed what it was lacking.

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
IP4 hand down - completely changed the game and converted people like me who were apple haters before. I now have a phone, tablet, laptop and wireless router by apple!

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I'm on the bubble, as it would be between the original and the 4. However, there are a number of things that make this poll vague.

Are we talking about the actual device, or the presentation? If we're talking the device, Original gets the nod. Keep in mind that that was back in the day of very huge and clunky slide-out keyboard phones given by Microsoft with Windows CE on it, geared only towards businesses, and an even bigger, clunkier Blackberry. Nothing the consumer would ever want, which is why they and other kiddies were all over the old Nokia phones and RAZRs. The original iPhone smacked the hell out of those.

If we're talking presentation, the nod goes to the 4. Jobs started it well when he presented the iPhone and made the call to ATT's CEO during the presentation. He changed EVERYTHING and outdid himself when he made the same call on the 4 then Facetimed the ATT CEO. That was sick.

Let's not also forget the controversy leading to the release (read: gizmodo).

So I think the poll needs to be a bit more specific before voting.

BL.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Apple needs to come out with another iPhone 4 next gen type of phone. The i4 over the 3GS was a MASSIVE update, since then the 4S and even the i5 just seem like more of the same, nothing new.

We'll see this June/July when the next iPhone is released, back on the summer schedule again. October release is over.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I've had every one.

Traveling very extensively, only one truly stands out. The 4S.

Second to that is the 3S.

But it's all in the past and completely irrelevant. :)

It's time for Apple to put out some effort this time, and create something great.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Local VoiceControl without the need to use Siri is a big deal for me (only the iPhone 4 has it; although, you can put back with jailbreaking). Retina display is still great; have changed the battery for a brand new one two months ago, so I still have all day battery life - and the speed is more than decent for me even though it's jailbroken and FULL of fun stuff.

Local VoiceControl has been from the 3GS right to the 5 -- you can turn Siri off and use it instead, so no, it's not just for the 4.

In answer to the OP, I think the original was the most groundbreaking, but the 4 was the best upgrade. Literally could not wait to get mine.
The iPhone 5 was great, sure, but the feeling wasn't quite the same.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
iPhone 17. Love it. Does everything I want it to do or imagines I want it to do. Battery life is 14 years.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
iPhone 5 is the best iPhone made of course, but I voted for the 3g. It was the first one that was affordable to the masses and there was huge excitement as this was most people's first iPhone and the lines were ridiculous. It was the first, and last time I stood in line for 4 hours just to get one first day of release.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
I have a four and I've never experience any problems. Except for the occasional apple maps frustration when 6.0 came out. But not anymore.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Without a doubt, the iphone 4. While I currently have the black iphone 5, I miss, from time to time, the form factor of the 4(and 4s). It felt great in the hand and it was just beautiful.

The leap in performance and style the iphone 4 made is something we may not see until Apple decides to increase the width of the screen as well as make the back entirely metal. In other words, that iPhone prototype we saw a while ago.

Increase the width of the phone? Why would apple retrogress?

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I still think the blow away device is the iPhone 4, everything else was cool, but outside of Antennagate :eek: I think it was one of the most well received devices pushed out by any MFG.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
The first iPhone was epic but the best release since is easily the iPhone 4. The others have all been subpar:

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Apple needs to come out with another iPhone 4 next gen type of phone. The i4 over the 3GS was a MASSIVE update, since then the 4S and even the i5 just seem like more of the same, nothing new.

I'm not sure why people keep saying this. In reality, the 4 is barely quicker than the 3GS. It just has a better screen. The performance difference between the 4 and 4S is what's massive, just like the lead the 5 has over the 4S. More of the same my ass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.