Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone to Android

• Yay - Switched (Android) and not gone back (iOS)

Votes: 39 33.3%
  • Nay - Switched (Android) and gone back (iOS)

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • Hmm - Considering switching from iOS to Android

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • Have both an iOS and Android Device

Votes: 38 32.5%

• Total voters

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Interesting how the results of a poll like this may be statistically so different from the population at large. I am surprised 28% of the respondents have both an Android and iOS device like myself. I realize this would pull in someone with an iPhone and a kindle for example but no doubt there are quite a few people with two or more phones, two or more plans etc.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Owned iPhones for years. Got tired of seeing the same thing from Apple year after year. Bought the iPhone 5 on pre-order for the wife. Apparently, pre-ordering means getting a POS iPhone. Scratches, dings, stain, pixel and scrolling issues. Glad she decided to dump it back on AT&T's hands and now has a Note2 and couldn't be happier. Like me, she now looks at an iPhone and thinks it looks like a little toy phone. I will never use iOS again. It would be to much of a step backwards.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I used both OS but have previously used every iPhone. Tried Galaxy Nexus (liked it), Nexus 4 (love and hate) and now use a Note II which I'm sticking with. I was one who previously thought from a distance that the Note II would be unwieldy but it's not at all. I put my wife's iPhone 4s on top of my Note II and the size difference was incredible. It's every bit as fast/smooth an my iP5, battery life is amazing and camera is very good (the latter 2 being primary reasons for ditching the Nexus 4).

We use iPads in our house for tablets and don't see that changing anytime soon.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Own 2 iOS devices and 4 Android Devices. My phone has been strictly Android as any previous iPhone I had bought for the pure purpose of reselling or I got it broken and dirt cheap and repaired to resell. That said I use my iPad less and less since I got my Surface and it pretty much just serves as a Netflix device for my child.

Last edited:

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I've gone back and forth between iOS and Android phones for a while:

iPhone -> iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 4 -> Samsung Galaxy S2 -> iPhone 4S - Samsung Galaxy S3 - > iPhone 5 -> Nexus 4

I have both the iPhone 5 and Nexus 4 at the moment, but truth be told, as much as I like my iPhone, the Nexus brand might keep me on Android for the near future. I've posted my iPhone 5 on the local classifieds to see how much I could get for a sale.

At first the Nexus 4 battery life was kind of crappy, but once I got a custom kernel/rom on there, it's been within 95% as good as my iPhone 5, for my usage.

Another poster mentioned the camera, which is entirely understandable since the Nexus line has never really had a good camera, but for me it's usable. I take maybe 5% of my photos with my phone, most of the time I have my DSLR when I'm out taking pictures. For the quick snapshot, the Nexus' camera does just fine.

My opinion: If you're a techie, or like (want) to customize your phone more than just a wallpaper and folders, then right now an Android device might be the way to go. Of course, Apple could change things come the summer with iOS7, but then we'd just have to reassess our needs. Although with that said, for me, the only Android brand I will ever get in the future will only be the Nexus brand. I've always hated OEM custom UI skins no matter how much nicer they've gotten recently. Stock (or at least a ROM based on stock) Android is the way to go.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Currently using three lines. One for work, one for personal, and one to play with other phones on.

Current favorite phone: My Nexus 4, with my iPhone 5 running a close second if for no other reason that I'm biased to Apple. As painful as it is to acknowledge after years of loyalty, Apples fading faster than I care to admit.

My third favorite phone is my Galaxy Note 2. If it offered the unadulterated pure Android experience of my Nexus 4, 7 & 10, it would be my hands down favorite smartphone.

I cannot even begin to express how much I want Apple to get with the program and give us an innovative new iPhone with a display that allows me room to work comfortably as I do on my Androids.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
I love the Nexus 4 but prefer my iPhone 5.

Both are excellent devices for slightly different reasons.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I love the Nexus 4 but prefer my iPhone 5.

Both are excellent devices for slightly different reasons.

Yeah that's the hard part though lol I don't need to have both phones, but I feel like once I sell my iPhone I'm going to want to use iOS again. I guess it's good that I'm keeping my iPad that way I can still use iOS when I really want to.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I still use iOS but going back to it is painful. 4.2.1 is so polished and smooth. It's incredible. No more android stutters that plagued older releases. Besides everything it does right of the box without any modifications blows iOS out of the water

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Android 4.2.1 is wonderful although I almost switched from my Galaxy Nexus (LTE) to the iPhone 5, but then I remembered I have bills to pay and don't have $700 to dish out for a phone.

And once I'm upgrade eligible, I still will have to stick to my Nexus because Crappy Verizon will take away my unlimited data if I go the subsidized route. And I'm a huge data hog (about 80 to 100 gigs a month) so that is a no-go.

:(

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Before I bought the IP5 I was using a Samsung SG3 with my iPhone 4S as both use a Micro SIM, and the SG3 was very nice, I just have too much vested in Apple.

That being said if the next iOS and Phone is not spectacular, I would consider going back or to the NOTE II even though I am Mac at home, it is a nice device with a smooth OS and just different and customizable.

I am getting to a point that once I get the iPad Mini with Retina (once it comes out) I really will not care very much which phone I use, although using an iPhone leads to a bit more friendly experience.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Android 4.2.1 is wonderful although I almost switched from my Galaxy Nexus (LTE) to the iPhone 5, but then I remembered I have bills to pay and don't have $700 to dish out for a phone.

And once I'm upgrade eligible, I still will have to stick to my Nexus because Crappy Verizon will take away my unlimited data if I go the subsidized route. And I'm a huge data hog (about 80 to 100 gigs a month) so that is a no-go.

:(

Do you not have access to wifi? Are you downloading full Blu Ray rips? :eek:

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
Long time iPhone owner switched from my iPhone 5 to Samsung GS3. Why? Just fancied a change from IOS to Android. Just to see what its like on the other side of the fence. Owning an iMac though does make some things a little tricky though.

So far really enjoying the switch and can see me keeping this handset for many a year to come. Still have the iPads at home and have no intentions of switching to an Android tablet.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Do you not have access to wifi? Are you downloading full Blu Ray rips? :eek:

This was my 3g usage last month.

datausage.png

With my landline hitting around 1.5 Meg and my Nexus 4 regularly hitting over 20, the temptation to just use that when browsing/streaming/downloading is too strong. :p

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
This was my 3g usage last month.

With my landline hitting around 1.5 Meg and my Nexus 4 regularly hitting over 20, the temptation to just use that when browsing/streaming/downloading is too strong. :p

Wow. You put me to shame. You must be downloading 1080p torrents 24/7.

As the LTE signal is my only source of internet connectivity (as I work from home), I have no choice.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Still have my iPhone 4 which I keep as a backup and use daily as one of my alarms to wake up in the morning.

Sold my 4S.

Use my GS3 as my everyday smartphone. Waiting for the GS4.

Use the iPad 2(jailbroken on 5.0.1) on a daily basis, it's pretty beat up so I might be looking to get a Galaxy tablet soon.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Like some others in the thread, I have no allegiance to either Apple or Google - so I'm completely comfortable having a foot in each ecosystem.

-My two current phones are an iPhone 5 and a Note 2. Both have their pluses and minuses. For cutting edge tech/bleeding edge specs and futuristic stuff (like Google Now) I can show to my friends, I like to use the Note 2. But when I need to get things (daily duties and errands) done quickly, simply, and efficiently, I always find myself going back to my iPhone. My iPhone is like my "modular armor" while my Note 2 is like my "Hulkbuster Armor." ;)

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Like some others in the thread, I have no allegiance to either Apple or Google - so I'm completely comfortable having a foot in each ecosystem.

-My two current phones are an iPhone 5 and a Note 2. Both have their pluses and minuses. For cutting edge tech/bleeding edge specs and futuristic stuff (like Google Now) I can show to my friends, I like to use the Note 2. But when I need to get things (daily duties and errands) done quickly, simply, and efficiently, I always find myself going back to my iPhone. My iPhone is like my "modular armor" while my Note 2 is like my "Hulkbuster Armor." ;)

Your post reflects why me and the majority of people prefer the iPhone(IMO) over any other phone. "when I need to get things (daily duties and errands) done quickly, simply, and efficiently, I always find myself going back to my iPhone." I had a samsung galaxy ace as well as the original galaxy and have been with iOS every since. It just is the better OS for most things i do.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Since iPhone didn't go anywhere, I switched to the S3 and never looked back. I got a N7 from my girlfriend so she inherited my iPad 3 ... Now I got no i-Device anymore right now and never regretted it ... I don't know how I lived without widgets before :) - I might go back one day - but I a more interested in Note 3 / S4 rumours than I am now about iPhone / iPad ...

YourAvgUser

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Had a Nexus 4 since release. Loved it at first as it was refreshing to have something new and different (admittedly widgets). After a couple weeks I just found it awkward to hold and use. And the camera and battery left a lot to be desired. I'll admit, Android was a pleasant surprise, and I could definitely see why people love it. But there are so many bugs in 4.2.1 w/ little to no recognition from Google to release a patch.

Walked into Apple last week and have had a 5 for a week now. AT&T LTE is noticeably faster, and it's hard to imagine how I could go with that compromise. My 5 looks like it's seen better days (scuffgate =/), but the overall experience so far has been far superior.

IndianaSolo

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
I was an iPhone user since day 1 in 2007 when it came out.

I also had a 3GS and a 4, and when the 5 came out I knew it was time for a switch.

I never had any issues with the iPhones, I was just bored with the OS (even with jailbreaking) and wanted to try an Android device.

The only Android devices that interested me were the Note 2 (which I bought and have been using since its release on AT&T) and the Nexus.

I enjoy being able to use different keyboards and I use Nova Launcher Prime and Widget Locker Pro for a custom feel and look without losing and of the built-in Samsung features (like S-Pen pop up abilities). Also, AirDroid is a great app to use for wireless syncing, it just takes a few minutes of tinkering to figure out how to transfer files and things like photos.

My only complaint is some of the carrier bloatware, and I can get rid of that if I choose, so it's not that big of a problem.

I still use an iPad and MacBook Air, and don't plan on changing that anytime soon.

I'm curious as to what Jony Ives will do to the OS in iOS7 and iOS8. I think iOS7 will see some changes, but iOS8 will really be interesting because he will have had over a year and half of control over it by that time.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
iPhone 3G -> iPhone 4 -> Galaxy Note 2 . Awesome switch, one of the biggest things for me was that the iPhone only offers the mobile web, the Galaxy Note 2 excels at the full web which makes a big difference for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.