Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I use C-Cleaner on my notebook PC after every Internet encounter, and it appears to do a pretty good job of cleaning up the junk collected.

The C-Cleaner website lists a C-Cleaner for Mac, but I am reluctant to try it without asking:

Has anyone else used this program?
Does it work?
Downside ?

Thanks for your help.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You don't need anything, this is not a PC which needs maintenance, just leave it as is, OS X runs fine without any maintenance Apps, besides this OS X also has built in scripts which run and do "maintenance".

sschmelcke

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Thanks I will have to try it. I come from a windows world and have been using ccleaner for years. I realize osx doesn't really need it but in anal from all the years as a windows user

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Thanks I will have to try it. I come from a windows world and have been using ccleaner for years. I realize osx doesn't really need it but in anal from all the years as a windows user

Coming from a Windows mind-set to Apple takes time to undo the Windows brainwashing and condititoning.

sschmelcke

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Yeah I've been Mac certified since 10.6 but mostly for work. Finally bit the bullet and picked up a Mac book pro for home. Love it so far but I feel like I need to keep up with it even though I don't.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Yeah I've been Mac certified since 10.6 but mostly for work. Finally bit the bullet and picked up a Mac book pro for home. Love it so far but I feel like I need to keep up with it even though I don't.

The main thing I love since migrating from Windows to Mac is that I no longer need to run tedios tasks like ccleaner, antivirus check, defrag etc.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The C-Cleaner website lists a C-Cleaner for Mac, but I am reluctant to try it without asking:
You don't need to "maintain" your Mac and you don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well. Some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some can even degrade, rather than improve system performance.

Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Caches exist to improve performance, so deleting them isn't advisable in most cases.

Many of the tasks performed by these apps should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention. You can use Maintidget to see the last time these scripts were run.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
What kind of information/data is stored in caches etc on the Mac that warrants them being cleaned and cleared out?

When a Mac user works on DOC files, TXT files, Excel files, Internet browsing etc, does the Mac store private information, private web browsing etc anywhere on the Mac that needs manual cleaning?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What kind of information/data is stored in caches etc on the Mac that warrants them being cleaned and cleared out?
That's just it: They shouldn't be cleared out, as you'll only burn up more system resources rebuilding them.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
That's just it: They shouldn't be cleared out, as you'll only burn up more system resources rebuilding them.

When a Mac user works on DOC files, TXT files, Excel files, Internet browsing etc, does the Mac store private information, private web browsing etc anywhere on the Mac that needs manual cleaning?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No. When you work on documents, many apps save a backup of the open document, but that is deleted when you save the changed document. As for web browsing, you can either use Private Browsing, which doesn't save cookies or history, or you can clear you cookies and history in your browser. You can also empty your cache in your browser. There is no other "cleaning" that you need to do.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
No. When you work on documents, many apps save a backup of the open document, but that is deleted when you save the changed document. As for web browsing, you can either use Private Browsing, which doesn't save cookies or history, or you can clear you cookies and history in your browser. You can also empty your cache in your browser. There is no other "cleaning" that you need to do.

Good to know because on Windows, activity and files etc can sometimes be "hidden" all over the place exposing private web browsing and activity to others if they search the windows hard drive.

So that does not apply EVER on the Mac where web browsing or personal activity is stored somewhere "out of sight" where others can view who browse the Mac hard drive?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Good to know because on Windows, activity and files etc can sometimes be "hidden" all over the place exposing private web browsing and activity to others if they search the windows hard drive.

So that does not apply EVER on the Mac where web browsing or personal activity is stored somewhere "out of sight" where others can view who browse the Mac hard drive?
It depends on the app, but most only store information in the user folder.

06Honda

macrumors regular
May 25, 2011
I used it when owning a windows pc and currently use it on my MacBook Pro. Good way to manage cookies and do the odd cleanup. No issues at all.

Reactions: kern1988

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
It depends on the app, but most only store information in the user folder.

Well if that's the case, then I need to use an app like ccleaner to make sure traces of apps, web browsers etc are all cleaned up for my own personal security and privacy. The author of ccleaner etc know more than me where Apps may leave behind sensitive and private data.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I never use ANY cleaning app. Macs don't need it. I don't install apps I don't need. If something goes wrong I just reinstall OS X.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well if that's the case, then I need to use an app like ccleaner to make sure traces of apps, web browsers etc are all cleaned up for my own personal security and privacy. The author of ccleaner etc know more than me where Apps may leave behind sensitive and private data.
Use whatever app you want. They're unnecessary and ineffective, but if it makes you feel better to install yet another app, go ahead.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Use whatever app you want. They're unnecessary and ineffective, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead.

According to YOUR comments, "It depends on the app, but most only store information in the user folder.", there are rirks that SOME Apps may leave some sensitive and private data/information somewhere on the Mac that I am not aware of, but programmers like Ccleaner may know about it and give me ability to clean that sensitive and private data/information.

So I no longer believe that Ccleaner etc are unnecessary and ineffective, as they may indeed help me wipe, clear and clean sensitive and private data/information that some Apps may be writing to areas I do not know about.

Reactions: kern1988

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
According to YOUR comments, "It depends on the app, but most only store information in the user folder.", there are rirks that SOME Apps may leave some sensitive and private data/information somewhere on the Mac that I am not aware of, but programmers like Ccleaner may know about it and give me ability to clean that sensitive and private data/information.
There is no assurance that apps like that will locate everything. They frequently don't identify all components of deleted apps, so it's reasonable to expect they're equally ineffective with other "cleaning" functions. As I said, use whatever app(s) you want to. I have no vested interest, either way. I'm just stating facts so people can make informed decisions.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
There is no assurance that apps like that will locate everything. They frequently don't identify all components of deleted apps, so it's reasonable to expect they're equally ineffective with other "cleaning" functions. As I said, use whatever app(s) you want to. I have no vested interest, either way. I'm just stating facts so people can make informed decisions.

Yes that's true, there is no assurance that apps like ccleaner will locate everything, but it sure is a better chance than leaving it all together. At least there may be a possiblity it's cleaning some Apps area that otherwise would have been left there to be exploited by someone else who gained access to my Mac.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes that's true, there is no assurance that apps like ccleaner will locate everything, but it sure is a better chance than leaving it all together. At least there may be a possiblity it's cleaning some Apps area that otherwise would have been left there to be exploited by someone else who gained access to my Mac.
If you give someone else access to your Mac, you may have much more to worry about than just accessing some of your personal information. In that event, cleaning apps won't protect you from greater threats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.