Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has rolled out a new feature for Newsstand, allowing select publishers to be featured in a new Read Them Here First section, reports TechCrunch.

Hearst is the first publisher to be featured, and its entire catalog is available to subscribers several days before the print editions hit newsstands, and before its magazines hit other platforms like Amazon's Kindle Fire.

readthemherefirst.jpg
The exclusive arrangement varies by individual publication in terms of how far in advance you'll be able to get the various Hearst titles compared to in print and from other online storefronts like Amazon's Kindle marketplace, but each will be available at least a few days in advance, I'm told. Existing subscribers will get early access, as well as those signing up for the first time.
The exclusive publishing window is a nice perk for potential subscribers and iPad owners, though it seems unlikely that getting a magazine a few days early would, on its own, sway potential tablet purchasers to the iPad.

Article Link: Hearst Titles Now Available on Apple's Newsstand Days Ahead of Other Channels

Punkwaffle

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2004
Eff Hearst. No thanks, that family is why you can go to jail for 5 years for a joint.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The exclusive publishing window is a nice perk for potential subscribers and iPad owners, though it seems unlikely that getting a magazine a few days early would, on its own, sway potential tablet purchasers to the iPad.

Why the anti-Apple spin, and not just the facts?

This is one of the many things that would sway someone to get an iPad. Of course, 'on it's own' - no. But that statement was specifically crafted to say something bad about something good.

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
Why the anti-Apple spin, and not just the facts?
"Anti-Apple" spin? On MacRumors? You have got to be joking.

Yes, they're wrong. But it has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with naïveté about how people read magazines — especially some of these titles. Cosmo? Elle? O? Absolutely, a couple of days early will sway people to read magazines on their already-purchased iPads, if not to purchase new iPads.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I'm probably in the extreme minority here, but I still prefer magazines in the physical form. I do wish Apple would finally give the option to remove the Newsstand app or put it in a folder.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
"Anti-Apple" spin? On MacRumors? You have got to be joking.

I hope your sarcasm tag is on.

MOST of what is on MacRumors is Anti-Apple spin. Anytime someone says they like something Apple does, no matter how benign, it's bashed 2 to 1.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

MOST of what is on MacRumors is Anti-Apple spin. Anytime someone says they like something Apple does, no matter how benign, it's bashed 2 to 1.

Comments yes. However articles by staff are generally fairly neutral or lean on Apple's side. Never do you see an article coming across as being spun in a negative way towards Apple.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
I'm probably in the extreme minority here, but I still prefer magazines in the physical form. I do wish Apple would finally give the option to remove the Newsstand app or put it in a folder.

you better off getting the print even if you do digital

My girl got Vanity Fair print over christmas for 9.99 a year (Amazon) and I got her the Digital edition for Free in the NextIssue App on our iPad - which also gave it to me on my GalaxyTab 2 7 (via the NextIssue android App using the same account)

I usually get the print and later see if I can get the digital for free on NI

NI is run by the publishers - That way the publisher gets all the money.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I look forward to reading none of those.

How these are still in print or functioning is a huge mystery. The propaganda laced with hi-priced advertising, providing pap and yesterweek's news, is so 20th century.

Digitizing dinosaur media is a like opening a casket before tucking in for a good burial.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008

Then any Andrpoid or Google news but gets twisted positively every time, too - by Google drones posting here. They don't see any problem there.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Yep. That comment in the original post was completely unnecessary.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

You could say this about hundreds of features of iOS and OS X... generally, it's not individual perks that sway a person to buy a given product (particularly a product priced so much above the competition,) but the entirety of how all those small perks come together.

I'm actually going to back down a bit from what I just said though and point out one thing Apple could do that would prompt me to buy an iPad in a heartbeat: get the textbooks I need for class into your iBooks Textbook store! Pay just $15/book and keep it forever rather than pay $200/book and then return it and get maybe $140 back (if you're lucky) sounds amazing. I occasionally wish I had my textbooks back (IE, my Circuits book was a lot clearer than my Electronics book is when it comes to Op Amps... but I returned that book last year and I'm taking Electronics now...)

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

I agree, it's not about selling the first iPad (well, except to a handful to magazine executives and staff who will use "monitor the way Apple is presenting our products" as justification for a corporate expenditure).

Top of the list is iTunes Store revenues. In this case, a unique reason to come to iTunes Store rather than some other e-content vendor. And the magazine publishers get an attractive placement on the store "shelves." Visibility, visibility, visibility.

Then, of course, there's stickiness - give folks yet another reason to use their iPad on a regular basis, and to stay within the Apple ecosystem. (So yeah, hardware sales figure into this, too.)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I subscribe to Food Network on Zinio for far less than they're charging.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I might be dreaming, but I would hope the Pro-Apple, Anti-Apple thing goes away from this discussion.

As to this deal - I did not see any pricing.

As to NextIssue - slick app - but it is not free. Adding one magazine if you already are enrolled is of course free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.