Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
I just am setting up a new mini. I ordered 16gb ram from OWC and just dropped it in. I ran a memory test ( http://www.kelleycomputing.net/Rember/ ) and it failed the first and second test I ran in the same place.

The test threw this error:
Block Sequential : (trimmed).... setting 113 of 256testing 113 of 256

FAILURE! Data mismatch at local BUFA address 0x0000000165b834c0, BUFB address 0x00000002a2d17cc0
BUFA Data: 0x7070707070707070, BUFB Data: 0x7070707060707070

What does this "block sequential" failure mean?
Is there another memory test worth running?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
YES -- return it. No reason to put up with less-than-fully-working RAM.

Aside: I, too, have bought RAM from OWC and had it go south on me.

I don't see the name mentioned here often, but I've bought RAM the last couple of times from datamem.com and never had any problems with it. The price isn't much higher than "the usual sources"...

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
YES -- return it. No reason to put up with less-than-fully-working RAM.

Aside: I, too, have bought RAM from OWC and had it go south on me.

I don't see the name mentioned here often, but I've bought RAM the last couple of times from datamem.com and never had any problems with it. The price isn't much higher than "the usual sources"...
I have just joined the forum and the name popped up a lot so I just decided to try them out. I am bummed because I travel in 2 days with the machine and thus.. back to the factory 4 gb for me at least for now.

I wish I had done a little more checking around because I realized that crucial has what appears to be an equivalent 16gb setup on their site for 20 bucks less than what I paid. I have seen them recommended a lot in the forums and most likely will give it another shot with that memory instead.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I just am setting up a new mini. I ordered 16gb ram from OWC and just dropped it in. I ran a memory test ( http://www.kelleycomputing.net/Rember/ ) and it failed the first and second test I ran in the same place.

The test threw this error:

What does this "block sequential" failure mean?
Is there another memory test worth running?

You can also run other tests which can be found in our Mac Guides, Testing RAM. But if it failed even once, I'd exchange the chip for a different one.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
I got some bad RAM from them previously and they were quick to cross ship a replacement. I think OWC tries very hard to get the customer sat thing right.
I am not familiar with cross shipping, I will have to look into it. If I wasnt going on the road for a few months this weekend.. it would be less complicated. I dont think I have time for any type of replacement, so it looks like I am stuck with the factory 4 for now.

It looks like they are trying like you said, I filled out an RMA request and they responded in 10 minutes! At least that was a relief as I am somewhat pressed for time right now.

It passed the block sequential test in memtest right now, but it threw two errors after that during the Checkerboard and Bit Spread tests.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I am not familiar with cross shipping, I will have to look into it. If I wasnt going on the road for a few months this weekend.. it would be less complicated. I dont think I have time for any type of replacement, so it looks like I am stuck with the factory 4 for now.

It looks like they are trying like you said, I filled out an RMA request and they responded in 10 minutes! At least that was a relief as I am somewhat pressed for time right now.

It passed the block sequential test in memtest right now, but it threw two errors after that during the Checkerboard and Bit Spread tests.

Cross shipping usually means that they ship you the replacement before getting yours back. Belkin did this for my iPad case. If they don't get the defective item back within a certain time period they charge you for it.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole

Based on my dealings with OWC, you can at least count on a speedy refund.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
yes. failed ram test = bad ram. even if it only happens "sometimes", it is not good enough.

It happens, whatever brand you buy sometimes you get a dud stick. OWC shouldn't give you any problems with replacement.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
I got some bad RAM from them previously and they were quick to cross ship a replacement. I think OWC tries very hard to get the customer sat thing right.

I have bought memory from OWC with no returns for a number of years. I have been very happy with them. I have purchased memory from them for powerbooks, MacBook Pro, White MacBook, and iMac.

I even called them on my iMac as I was confused about paired memery.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I suspect you were asked to run Rember by OWC tech support. I had 2x4GB purchased from them on a machine that was flaking (gray screen of death). They asked me to run this, and sure enough, the memory flunked. It was not a quick return, but I was not in a hurry.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
I suspect you were asked to run Rember by OWC tech support.
Rember was recommended to me in another thread. later in this thread the link to testing ram had some suggestions. the memtest option was free so I ran that just to make sure it wasnt software related, as I was still hoping it 'would work' as in my particular situation be much preferred of an option :) either way its about to get dropped in the mail. Ram sticks being faulty are a pretty common issue, it happens. I feel confident in my dealings with OWC, especially after hearing about others positive experiences with them. Assuming the return goes as planned, this will not affect any decisions on future purchases.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.