Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hypotc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Hello.

I'm wondering if it's possible to downgrade from iOS6 to 5.1.1 and rejailbreak the phone. I borrowed the phone from my brother, who had jailbreaked it. When I got it I did a fresh reinstall without jailbreak, and later upgraded to iOS6.

Has anyone done this?

Thankful for answers!

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
I'm fairly sure you can restore an iPhone to any compatible OS providing you have the .ipsw file? I've done it in the past with a 3GS.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm fairly sure you can restore an iPhone to any compatible OS providing you have the .ipsw file? I've done it in the past with a 3GS.

He's talking about a 4S. And you don't just need the ipsw you also need blobs.
And like intel said its not possible at the moment even with saved shsh blobs.
You're not as educated on the topic so don't post false assumptions.
What worked before with another phone model does not work now.
Apple makes it harder with every hardware and software update.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
He's talking about a 4S. And you don't just need the ipsw you also need blobs.
And like intel said its not possible at the moment even with saved shsh blobs.
You're not as educated on the topic so don't post false assumptions.
What worked before with another phone model does not work now.
Apple makes it harder with every hardware and software update.

I realise he was talking about a 4S; hence my point ending as a question, it seemed reasonable to assume it may be possible to do what I did to a newer model.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I realise he was talking about a 4S; hence my point ending as a question, it seemed reasonable to assume it may be possible to do what I did to a newer model.

No. It's not reasonable to assume cause its false.
If you don't know don't respond cause you're giving him false hope on something that cannot be done currently.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
No. It's not reasonable to assume cause its false.
If you don't know don't respond cause you're giving him false hope on something that cannot be done currently.

I don't see how it isn't reasonable to be honest, its by the same manufacturer, running a newer version of the firmware, host to a new set of hardware, simply an update. Generally updates stay to the foundations of their last versions.

Besides, what is it that stops the downgrade to iOS5 after installing iOS6? Is there a check on the firmware version that only allows the latest iOS to be installed?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I don't see how it isn't reasonable to be honest, its by the same manufacturer, running a newer version of the firmware, host to a new set of hardware, simply an update. Generally updates stay to the foundations of their last versions.

Besides, what is it that stops the downgrade to iOS5 after installing iOS6? Is there a check on the firmware version that only allows the latest iOS to be installed?

Yes, many many different things stopping it for happen. Like you said newer hardware, firmware and newer security measures. With each update it becomes harder to JB and to downgrade, restore to older firmware etc...
They dont stay on foundations of last versions, they keep improving security.
You should learn and research more before responding in similar threads.
It would be really nice it if was that easy or simple but its not.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

It is because unlike the iPhone4 and older devices, the 4S is not susceptible to the Limera1n exploit.

That is the difference.

And I agree, if you are not sure about the procedure, one should not post.
Had the OP tried the downgrade with his 4S, he might have ended up in recovery mode from which there is little chance of escape.

That's why - guesses can ruin a phone !

hypotc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Thanks for all the answers.

Anyone know if it will be possible soon? Or should I just wait for a untethered jailbreak for iOS6?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
When the iOS 6 jailbreak is out, you will be able to. But for now you can't.

That might not be the case, the devs have to find a new workaround for the current downgrade block by apple. On 5.x it took awhile as well before the A5 devices were able to downgrade

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
You should read the dev team blog.
He is not correct.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/31869383801/blob-o-riffic

He (I) is..

Asfand Shabbir ‏@iAsfand
@MuscleNerd will we every get around this iOS 6 security? I do have saved 5.1.1 blobs but cant downgrade why?
Expand
1 Nov MuscleNerd ‏@MuscleNerd
@iAsfand if it helps any, there were "no downgrade" issues way back on FW 1.x.x too :) (no blobs then either!). It's a cat and mouse game.

What @musclenerd means is that you are stuck on 6.X without a jailbreak.
You cannot go back, his remark does not mean the new jailbreak automatically brings a downgrade possibility.

Btw i think dhlizard has read the DevTeam blog…..

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I think you misunderstand that statement. It's saying if you are on iOS 6 then you will have to wait until they release it. It never says anything about downgrading.

Jailbreaking and downgrading are two different things. Just like jailbreaking and unlocking.

This ^^

Sadly, that poster is misunderstanding various comments.

----------

Btw i think dhlizard has read the DevTeam blog…..

Thanks ! Perhaps that poster should check my signature :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.