Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vincemolina

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
It's the RAM.

Yeah, I came to that conclusion as well. I'm just trying to find out what exactly is happening. I noticed that it crashes to different shades of blue, sometimes black, and sometimes white. When I checked my logs, there were no signs of kernel panics. Can my MacBook just not handle the 16gb of ram? Should I just settle with 8gb? Or is it this specific set I received that is faulty?

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Yeah, I came to that conclusion as well. I'm just trying to find out what exactly is happening. I noticed that it crashes to different shades of blue, sometimes black, and sometimes white. When I checked my logs, there were no signs of kernel panics. Can my MacBook just not handle the 16gb of ram? Should I just settle with 8gb? Or is it this specific set I received that is faulty?

Can't make the conclusion either way though it seems others have had success. Order from somewhere with a good return policy and try again if you want. Don't so it just because apparently you can.

Wooderson00

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
Thanks for this thread.

I am helping a friend sell her MacBook. Specs are: Apple MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz 13.3" (White) (Mid-10) (MC516LL/A). According to Mactracker, it is a 7,1. So based on this thread, and the OWC blog link from page 2, it seems like the system can be upgraded to 16GB? If so, seems like a good upgrade.

I have a Mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro (2.4GHz C2D MC374 7,1). I upgraded mine to 8GB RAM a while back. Don't necessarily need to go up from there, but is it possible? According to the OWC blog, it seems like it is possible, though they don't have a 16GB kit on the RAM page for my particular model?

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Thanks for this thread.

I am helping a friend sell her MacBook. Specs are: Apple MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz 13.3" (White) (Mid-10) (MC516LL/A). According to Mactracker, it is a 7,1. So based on this thread, and the OWC blog link from page 2, it seems like the system can be upgraded to 16GB? If so, seems like a good upgrade.

I have a Mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro (2.4GHz C2D MC374 7,1). I upgraded mine to 8GB RAM a while back. Don't necessarily need to go up from there, but is it possible? According to the OWC blog, it seems like it is possible, though they don't have a 16GB kit on the RAM page for my particular model?

I know it will work, if you get the right ram (Ebay link I posted/OWC link), in the Mid 2010 Macbook. My exact same model.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Is this a fluke? I just bought 16Gs ram for my 2010 Mac mini and since it's the same specs as my 2010 Macbook, I figured I'd throw the 16Gs into my Macbook and see how far it would be until a kernel panic or something happen.

To my surprise, it started right up and went to the login screen. I figured it'd work but only see 8Gs or something a little more if any. I went into About This Mac and it read 16Gs of ram. I selected the Ram and it shows 16Gs and each slot with 8Gs sticks. I even opened up Activity Monitor an it showed all 16Gs.

I'm going to leave it in here and do tests. What's recommended way to stress the ram out or what could I do that might cause it to kernel panic? I'm going to boot off my external drive and do a CCC of my current SSD drive to see if that does anything.

See attached images.

Wow this is awesome! Last year I upgraded my Macbook 2010 to 8GB of Ram. So cool to see that I can actually update it to 16GB.. may be doing this in the next couple of weeks! :D

khomer2

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Received my mushkin 2x8GB ram yesterday.
Popped them into my mid 2010 mbp today and presto! 16GB in place. :)

running 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / ssd 256GB mac osx 10.6.8

Reffolucja

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
I found different guy on ebay with 2x8GB ddr3 1066 pc8500 sodim ther is only difference on voltage this one is 1.37 V and mushkin is 1.5 and ther are cheaper 20£ (30-40 USD) than mushkin I will get them on Thursday next week and give U now how they are working

Wooderson00

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
Thanks again for this thread.

Got my 16GB in the mail today. Put it in my 2010 13" MBP and runs like a champ. Took the 8GB I had in it and moved it to the 2010 13" MacBook. It, too, is working just fine. That should help a little when I list it for sale.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Thanks again for this thread.

Got my 16GB in the mail today. Put it in my 2010 13" MBP and runs like a champ. Took the 8GB I had in it and moved it to the 2010 13" MacBook. It, too, is working just fine. That should help a little when I list it for sale.

The 2010 Macbook (white) can also handle 16GB DDR3-1066MHz of RAM.

Wooderson00

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
So yeah, ended up putting the 16GB in the MacBook. I already wiped that unit and started from scratch. Has Mountain Lion and it flies. Still a very good computer. With a C2D and non-heavy use, 16GB RAM is probably not to going to get utilized the way it can. With RAM being so cheap, though, seemed like a good upgrade. Again, that white MacBook flies. Might put in an SSD later.

I'm going to order another set of 16GB for my 13" MBP. When I had it in there, it was super smooth.

conyey

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
16gb in Mid-2010 white Macbook running Snow Leopard?

Hey guys, just wondering if you actually got 16gb of ram working on your mid 2010 macbook running 10.6.8 or earlier, or if lion or mountain lion is needed in order to run this amount. I just got 2x8gb sticks, and when running them together, I hear my macbook beep singularly and repetitively upon powering on; but when I pair 1 8gb and 1 1gb stick, it does power on just fine.

Please let me know if anyone's experienced something similar. I'm thinking maybe an EFI or SMC update (included with mountain lion) might be needed to run 16gb. Just wanted to know if anyone can chime in. Thanks

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Hey guys, just wondering if you actually got 16gb of ram working on your mid 2010 macbook running 10.6.8 or earlier, or if lion or mountain lion is needed in order to run this amount. I just got 2x8gb sticks, and when running them together, I hear my macbook beep singularly and repetitively upon powering on; but when I pair 1 8gb and 1 1gb stick, it does power on just fine.

Please let me know if anyone's experienced something similar. I'm thinking maybe an EFI or SMC update (included with mountain lion) might be needed to run 16gb. Just wanted to know if anyone can chime in. Thanks

I'm not sure if it will help but, I can clone my ML install, format my disk, and install Lion and see if it still works. I did all of this with ML already installed.

I'll try to do it this week for you. Busy so, it might be the weekend before I can.

frankyvalentino

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
I am so disappointed. I found this thread for the first time today, but I tried ebay and the outletpc link but with no luck. ebay is $110 and outletpc is out of stock :(

I did stumble upon an amazon listing of a different brand of memory, and there are reviews from people saying that it works at 16gb on a 2010 13". Based on the linked mushkin ram, it should be specc'd as: 1066mhz pc3 8500. But this ram I found is: 1333mhz pc3 10600/10666. They are both 2.5V but they're timing is different 7-7-7-20 and 9-9-9-24 (respectively). I'm going to assume this ram won't work.

Would anyone mind looking it over in case I overlooked something? If all else fails I can just purchase it and return, but I would like to get as much info as I can so I don't have to waste time with shipping back and forth.

I'm actually on a MacBook pro 7,1 but this was the most informative thread I've found for the 16gb ram hardware discussion.

Here's the amazon item I found:
http://amzn.com/B00698WP50

Here's the OutletPC link for reference:
http://www.outletpc.com/ug3762-mushkin-997019-ddr3-16gb-2x8gb-laptop-memory.html

Last edited:

frankyvalentino

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
I am so disappointed. I found this thread for the first time today, but I tried ebay and the outletpc link but with no luck. ebay is $110 and outletpc is out of stock :(

I did stumble upon an amazon listing of a different brand of memory, and there are reviews from people saying that it works at 16gb on a 2010 13". Based on the linked mushkin ram, it should be specc'd as: 1066mhz pc3 8500. But this ram I found is: 1333mhz pc3 10600/10666. They are both 2.5V but they're timing is different 7-7-7-20 and 9-9-9-24 (respectively). I'm going to assume this ram won't work.

Would anyone mind looking it over in case I overlooked something? If all else fails I can just purchase it and return, but I would like to get as much info as I can so I don't have to waste time with shipping back and forth.

I'm actually on a MacBook pro 7,1 but this was the most informative thread I've found for the 16gb ram hardware discussion.

Here's the amazon item I found:
http://amzn.com/B00698WP50

Here's the OutletPC link for reference:
http://www.outletpc.com/ug3762-mushkin-997019-ddr3-16gb-2x8gb-laptop-memory.html

I thought I would follow up my post and let you know of some new information. There's good news and bad news! Outletpc now has the RAM back in stock, but it has increased in price to $99

lukarak

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
I have the 2010 MBP 7,1, and just bought 16 GB of mushkin ram, it works great. I didn't buy the dual channel kit as it was unavailable in my local store, but it works great nevertheless. When converted into $ it cost me $100 flat, although the regular price is more around $110. That's including Croatia's VAT of 25%, so I consider this extremely cheap.

screenshot20130312at114.png

lie2me

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Somewhere
I thought I would follow up my post and let you know of some new information. There's good news and bad news! Outletpc now has the RAM back in stock, but it has increased in price to $99

OutletPC is out of stock. Price increased as well.
Note that OutletPC only indicates a 1 year warranty on this ram, not the lifetime warranty that we are used to seeing.

What is a lifetime warranty anyway - our systems are outdated within 3 - 5 years these days. I really doubt the manufacturer would still have this memory to exchange it out in 5 years anyway. The memory chips in these must be difficult to make given their density. Once the wafer fabs shift to making other chips, they are no longer going to be making these.

lie2me

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Somewhere
I am so disappointed.

"Komputerbay 16GB (2x 8GB) PC3-10600 10666 1333MHz SODIMM 204-Pin Laptop Memory 9-9-9-24 for PC only - not MAC"

This is faster memory than the 1066Mhz Mushkin memory. Normally a memory controller would set up the 1333mhz memory to use the lower frequency (i.e., down clock) but for some reason those in the Mac Mini and Mac Book pros reportedly would not do so, unless mixed with at least one 1066Mhz soDimm. Frankly, I don't think it is worth the headache of having to debug memory problems.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Thanks for posting everyone.

Bad news for myself today. It appears one of the 8GB sticks of ram is faulty. I woke up this morning and my system was on. So I tried to restart and it had a kernel panic.

I grabbed my old 8GB (2X4GB) that I had in here before. Put them in and it worked. So, I tried one of the 4GB sticks with an 8GB stick and it worked. Shutdown and tried the other 8GB with the 4GB and panic right after start up.

This is the ram I purchased off Ebay (I think I provided the link earlier.) so, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get it replaced through Mushkin. I'll call here in a few and see.

I think one or two of you bough it too. Are you having any issues yet? Please let me know if you have encountered anything.

blakrj

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2013
Needed some ram in a hurry and couldn't get 16GB of 1066MHz ram, so purchased 8GB from a store locally. Despite specs being spot on, 3 beeps and no joy. Took it back and they had Corsair MacMemory (8GB). Plugged in an works just great. In case anyone wants similar, part number is CMSA8GX3M2A1066C7. As a bonus my NovaBench score went from 363 to 408 (not quite my iMac's 1576)

Wooderson00

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
Anyone have any idea when RAM will go down again in price? It was nice when this deal was in the $60-70 range. Now, you can find anything under $110 or so, and that's if you find it in stock. Any thoughts on when will be the best time to buy again? It's not an immediate need, so I can wait for a little while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.