Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FJ2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Hi,

I just received my new 27" iMac today. The menu bar on each apps is just a little bit small.

Is there anyway to increase the menu bar size without decrease the resolution? In Win 7, I was able to do it.

Thanks

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hi,

I just received my new 27" iMac today. The menu bar on each apps is just a little bit small.

Is there anyway to increase the menu bar size without decrease the resolution? In Win 7, I was able to do it.

Thanks

Nope, btw it's irrelevant that Win 7 could do it.

FJ2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks.

Then what's next lower resolution that I should to apply?

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'm assuming you're talking about the top menu bar and not the Dock that runs along the bottom of the screen?

Yes it can't be adjusted, you will get used to it or many you need better glasses?

As for the Dock at the bottom, go into the System Preferences (Apple Menu) then look for Dock. You can adjust the size of that, it's position and a few other things.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I'm assuming you're talking about the top menu bar and not the Dock that runs along the bottom of the screen?

Yes it can't be adjusted, you will get used to it or many you need better glasses?

As for the Dock at the bottom, go into the System Preferences (Apple Menu) then look for Dock. You can adjust the size of that, it's position and a few other things.

You can also adjust the size of the Dock by placing the mouse cursor over the vertical line separating the trash and the rest of the apps. Hover over the line, press down on the mouse or trackpad and move up and down and adjust the Dock size. If you hold down the Option key and do everything above you can adjust the Dock in increments. Sorry I know this thread is about the Menu Bar but since you mentioned the Dock I just wanted to add a faster and easier solution.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
how-make-menu-title-bar-bigger

In terminal

defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1.5

would increase the overall scaling of everything launched AFTER you executed that code to 150% (with 100% being normal size)

defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1

will return everything to default size.

i just tryed it...150% makes everything way to big...maybe try 1.1 (which would be 110%)

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
how-make-menu-title-bar-bigger

In terminal

defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1.5

would increase the overall scaling of everything launched AFTER you executed that code to 150% (with 100% being normal size)

defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1

will return everything to default size.

i just tryed it...150% makes everything way to big...maybe try 1.1 (which would be 110%)

This works but if you have nocturne installed like me it conflicts with it.

I think the real solution without scaling is to edit the built in OS X graphics of the Menu Bar and hack the System so the Font is bigger in the Menu Bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.