Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OMGwtfBBQwings

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
has anyone tried avplayerhd on an ipad 4? how dow does it handle 1080p mkv films? the really high def/uncompressed videos? thanks

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
has anyone tried avplayerhd on an ipad 4? how dow does it handle 1080p mkv films? the really high def/uncompressed videos? thanks

The answer can be found in several of my articles (you might want to read them):

1, MKV playback is flawless in AVPlayer as it uses hardware decoding

2, however, not even the iPad 4 is capable of decoding 1080p H.264 at sensible bitrates (not the <3 Mbps joke Apple is using) without stuttering. This means 1080p30 camera MTS videos won't be played back properly.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
what player is best for playing 720p mp4's?

Several of them.

EDIT: now that I'm on a desktop (as opposed to a keyboard-less iPad), let me elaborate: 720p mp4 can be played back in hardware by about half of the currently available AppStore players.

You absolutely WON'T want to use players that can't; they include VLC (endorsed - which in no way should be done - by a lot of forum members BTW - don't believe them, the iOS version of VLC is one of the worst players), QQPLayerHD (an otherwise excellent, free player) etc.

Some players that do offer hardware playback and are highly recommended:

It's Playing: this is superior to almost all other players at MP4 playback because it has runtime DSP's letting for boosting audio / brightness / contrast / whatever. This should be the first you check out.

If you absolutely don't need DSP's, there are a lot of excellent players, AVPlayerHD (the subject of this thread) and GoodPlayer being the two most recommended.

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
EDIT: now that I'm on a desktop (as opposed to a keyboard-less iPad), let me elaborate: 720p mp4 can be played back in hardware by about half of the player.
<snip>

Just a quick bump: I've edited my prev post, posting a much more detailed answer.

wake1

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Ok cool. Thanks. Any update on when its playing is meant to update as you said before. Allowing fit to screen etc?

kthxbainao

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
Been following this thread for a while now and I have a couple of questions.

Apparently 8player was updated on the 4th of January because of issues with Dolby. Does this mean they lost the AC-3 codec as well or any other codecs for that matter? Not updating until I'm sure..

Also, does anyone know if the camera connection kits work with any of the in this thread aforementioned players?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Been following this thread for a while now and I have a couple of questions.

Apparently 8player was updated on the 4th of January because of issues with Dolby. Does this mean they lost the AC-3 codec as well or any other codecs for that matter? Not updating until I'm sure..

Do NOT update - they were forced to remove AC3 support.

Also, does anyone know if the camera connection kits work with any of the in this thread aforementioned players?

Only if you jailbreak. Please read my full(!!!) tutorial for more info: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1464236/

pandabunny

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
There's an update out for AVPlayerHD (1.51). Does it have something to do with the AC-3 problem?
Don't want to update before I'm sure that I won't have any problems afterwards.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
There's an update out for AVPlayerHD (1.51). Does it have something to do with the AC-3 problem?
Don't want to update before I'm sure that I won't have any problems afterwards.

Was gonna say back up the app and then update if your worried, its pretty easy to restore.

But...

Version 1.51 was released on 6th of August, I already have it and theres no update for me currently.

Also if you read the app store page it says;

*** Important***
AVPlayerHD is officially support for AC-3, E-AC3, TrueHD codec.

I would presume that, at least for now, it is safe to get any new upgrades that come out (1.51 is old :p). I would also guess that 'officially' would hint that they do in fact have the licence :D

kthxbainao

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
Do NOT update - they were forced to remove AC3 support.
Only if you jailbreak. Please read my full(!!!) tutorial for more info: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1464236/

Sadly I only got the lite version. So I'm too late to get the full one. :(

Also, I can't jailbreak it. Great tutorial though!
Would you perhaps know of any other apps that let you stream avi files with AC-3 codec from any shares, like a NAS? (So, basically 8player with AC-3 support.)

wake1

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Can the iphone 4 play 720p mkv files ok. And what apps are the best for this? I tried av player and it seems to stutter a bit.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Can the iphone 4 play 720p mkv files ok. And what apps are the best for this? I tried av player and it seems to stutter a bit.

Your only choice is (unless you're ready to remux your MKV to iOS-native containers like mov / mp4 / m4v) jailbreaking and getting RushPlayer+.

Fortunately,

1, the iPhone 4 can be jailbroken even under iOS 6 and

2, RushPlayer+ is free for generic video playback so you can test it without paying anything. (The IAP is only needed to enable advanced menu options)

wake1

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
I know this is mac forums but I'm stuck. What is best way to remux 720p mkv files to mp4 on windows?

pandabunny

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
There's a new update for AVPlayer (1.60) - is it safe to update, or are there any problems with it (AC-3 still supported?)?

taz79

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2012
I update to AVPlayer 1.6.2.0 .... there is a bug in the iPhone version .... cannot play resume on video ....

Do you know any apps that can play stream to afp:// ? I want to be able to access my Airport Extreme from my iOS devices directly ... stream the movie from my storage there ....

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I update to AVPlayer 1.6.2.0 .... there is a bug in the iPhone version .... cannot play resume on video ....

This has always been a problem with AVPlayer (both versions), see https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16900299 .

Do you know any apps that can play stream to afp:// ?

Nothing supports it, it being pretty scarcely used. Why don't you just use more standard networking protocols (FTP, SMB, UPnP) instead? FTP streaming is even supported by AVPlayer (the other two arent').

cooa99

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
Nothing supports it, it being pretty scarcely used. Why don't you just use more standard networking protocols (FTP, SMB, UPnP) instead? FTP streaming is even supported by AVPlayer (the other two arent').

Since when has AVplayer allowed streaming over network shares?, i thought that was not possible hence the reason I kept Buzz player around.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Since when has AVplayer allowed streaming over network shares?, i thought that was not possible hence the reason I kept Buzz player around.

This is exactly what I meant by adding "(the other two arent')", referring to the lack of SMB / UPnP support.

Decent FTP streaming has just been added in the new version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.