Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nox-uk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Hi,

I've had an SSD as my main OS drive for quite some time,and it's finally died :(

It's under warranty so will be getting it replaced anyway. I'm just pondering whether it's worth upgrading it to something along the lines of sata III with a suitable card, (Highpoint 2720SGLmaybe?) and possibly a couple of them in there instead of one?

Or the accelsior options, or the velocity maybe? What are peoples thoughts on these? The Revo drives looked quite interesting but don't seem to be supported very well :(

Having a HDD back in there temporarily feels so slow now i'm used to SSD's :/

Nox

----------

I guess what i'm really asking - is it a noticable improvement?

Nox

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
I have a Mac Pro 3,1 which is SATA-II & didn't get full speed out of the 256GB Crucial m4 SSD until I installed it in a Apricorn Velocity Solo X2 which I think is really worth the price ($100).

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
As a boot disk I couldn't feel one bit of difference from SATA2 and SATA3 in my Pro. I bought another SSD with the money I had spent on SATA3 card.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
As a boot disk I couldn't feel one bit of difference from SATA2 and SATA3 in my Pro. I bought another SSD with the money I had spent on SATA3 card.

I have the Accelsior and my boot times are actually slower than when I had a normal SATA2 SSD. It's lightening fast however in every other way and I rarely reboot, so it doesn't matter to me.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I have the Accelsior and my boot times are actually slower than when I had a normal SATA2 SSD. It's lightening fast however in every other way and I rarely reboot, so it doesn't matter to me.

Is that because of waiting at POST? Reboot speeds to me are generally overrated as well except for my Macbook which I reboot 2-4 times a day. Only important by the indication of speed. You're probably slower because of non standard interface.
I thought it was essentially a RAID0 OWC Elektra and 2nd gen toggle NAND with the slower 4K speeds vs. say, a regular SF-2281. The RAID0 made up the speed differences and sequentials were off the charts thanks to the PCI interface.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Boot times are actually a little slower with the Apricorn Velocity Solo X2 as it takes longer to POST however as I rarely reboot & it's only a matter of 10-20 seconds longer it doesn't matter to me. In all other regards the system is faster especially noticeable with application startup. My Apricorn Velocity Solo X2 cost less than half the price of another 256GB SSD & I regard it as money well spent.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Boot times are actually a little slower with the Apricorn Velocity Solo X2 as it takes longer to POST however as I rarely reboot & it's only a matter of 10-20 seconds longer it doesn't matter to me. In all other regards the system is faster especially noticeable with application startup. My Apricorn Velocity Solo X2 cost less than half the price of another 256GB SSD & I regard it as money well spent.

The solo was not at market yet when I bought an Atto SAS card. The Velocity was/ is a good idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.