Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SezR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
I must have a rogue model iphone5! I have had it about 2 mths now & HATE it! It will not stay connected to my wifi, & when it is connected it wont work. its not my wifi as my husband (who also has a iphone 5) is sat next to me & his wifi works.

It's updated with version 6.0.2. The touch screen is temperamental. Now it is resetting my Facebook settings to custom, so I can't connect to friends either. I've uninstalled & reinstalled the app too. On my laptop it's showing as the correct settings, but is changing it on my iPhone!!

What can I do plz?!?

Thanks in advance

SezR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
I've reset all settings several times. I honestly don't know what else to do!! I use FB to connect to family in Australia & Ireland & now I can't :(

----------

Do you mean restore back to factory settings? Will this need me to transfer all my photos etc?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I've reset all settings several times. I honestly don't know what else to do!! I use FB to connect to family in Australia & Ireland & now I can't :(

----------

Do you mean restore back to factory settings? Will this need me to transfer all my photos etc?

Restore is different from Reset. You will need to back up and resync.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
if troubleshooting doesn't fix it.

Do a backup of ur phone (NEVER RESTORE UNTIL YOU BACKUP)
Restore to Factory setting
Restore from Backup

if those don't work... then you have a defective iPhone 5 and call apple support and schedule a replacement phone.

DONE

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
I had this same problem when I first got my 5.
I know it sucks to have to spend money again, but after many trips to Genius bar I bought a new router as a last hope.
I picked up the Apple Airport Express for $78 at BestBuy and
have not had a problem yet. Im guessing your phone is up to date as far as
firmware?

If you have the money to spend its def worth it. Its also a decent router.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
My iphone 5 still tells the wrong time at times and then it fixes itself, is there a fix to this or do I have to go down to apple?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
^^^ do "set automatically"

if u keep getting problems reset... then restore last resort

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I had this same problem when I first got my 5.
I know it sucks to have to spend money again, but after many trips to Genius bar I bought a new router as a last hope.
I picked up the Apple Airport Express for $78 at BestBuy and
have not had a problem yet. Im guessing your phone is up to date as far as
firmware?

If you have the money to spend its def worth it. Its also a decent router.

OP needs to see if the problem is isolated at home, i.e. wifi works at starbucks, mcdonalds etc.

if that's the case then it's probably his home router.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
OP needs to see if the problem is isolated at home, i.e. wifi works at starbucks, mcdonalds etc.

if that's the case then it's probably his home router.

This is my experience, and what resolved my issue. I have read of this problem countless times, and it seems that the iPhone 5 does not like some older routers. Many posts in other forums were people updated the router and all was fine. Sometimes not. Its a suggestion, not an end all solution.
As for Genius Bar, These people amaze me with the standard " did you restore your phone? You backup may be corrupt" blah blah blah. Im not sure what it takes to be a Genius Tech, but it seems to me they shine most costumers on with this same rhetoric.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
This is my experience, and what resolved my issue. I have read of this problem countless times, and it seems that the iPhone 5 does not like some older routers. Many posts in other forums were people updated the router and all was fine. Sometimes not. Its a suggestion, not an end all solution.
As for Genius Bar, These people amaze me with the standard " did you restore your phone? You backup may be corrupt" blah blah blah. Im not sure what it takes to be a Genius Tech, but it seems to me they shine most costumers on with this same rhetoric.

i had a problem connecting to apple store doing a purchase one day and the apple technician told me to RESTORE. OMG, stupid ass.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
How long have you had it? I know with Verizon you have 30 days after you purchase a new phone to return/exchange it if it isn't working correctly...

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
How long have you had it? I know with Verizon you have 30 days after you purchase a new phone to return/exchange it if it isn't working correctly...

I must have a rogue model iphone5! I have had it about 2 mths now & HATE it! It will not stay connected to my wifi, & when it is connected it wont work. its not my wifi as my husband (who also has a iphone 5) is sat next to me & his wifi works.

It's updated with version 6.0.2. The touch screen is temperamental. Now it is resetting my Facebook settings to custom, so I can't connect to friends either. I've uninstalled & reinstalled the app too. On my laptop it's showing as the correct settings, but is changing it on my iPhone!!

What can I do plz?!?

Thanks in advance

this...

powerwagon

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013

Did you guys not read her original post? She very clearly stated that her husband also has an iPhone 5 and has 0 issues connecting and staying connected to their router. Doesn't appear to be a router issue. Sounds hardware related and Apple should be able to take care of you just fine. Good luck

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston

What can I do plz?!?

Thanks in advance

Go get a new one!

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

What can I do plz?!?

Thanks in advance

Do a hard reset, hold top button and home button until your phone turns off

If that doesnt work go to settings and go to general. Then go to reset and reset all network settings...that should fix your wifi

If THESE dont work, then you should do a restore . I have a iphone 5 and i have no problems with my phone at all.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA

This.

Sometimes, as in not always, my iP5 and Netgear DGN2200 would not play nice together - internet would become unresponsive.

I replaced the wireless router portion of it with an Airport Express and have been problem free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.