Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markwb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Hi,

I am trying to access my Diskstation within Finder, yet every time I click on it, Finder closes and restarts.

I have restarted the disk station, accessed it from a PC and all works fine.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Mark

Markwb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Yes, from Synology.
Cant remember doing anything specific. It auto connects and is usually available in Finder. Running Mountain Lion

Sorry, very new to the mac world!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
bump, anyone have any ideas please?

Login into another User Account, does it happen there?
If not we can look into what to do next.

Edit: I better give some additional Information.
You should create a new User in Users And Groups in System Preferences, after you did this log out of your normal User Account and login into the new account.
See if the same happens there, if it is not happening there then there is a problem in your normal User Account.
And if that's the case I think I know the files to delete, they are preference files so don't worry, another one is an invisible file on the desktop which can be troublesome too.

Last edited:

Markwb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Thanks for the help.

Using a new user let me connect to the diskstation.

Cheers, learning all the time!

Now what?!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks for the help.

Using a new user let me connect to the diskstation.

Cheers, learning all the time!

Now what?!

Three files which I think could be the problem.

1. com.apple.finder.plist in your preferences folder.

2. com.apple.sidebarlists.plist also in your preferences folder.

3. .DS_store on the Desktop, this is an invisible file.

Now, start with the first one, drag it to the desktop, log out and in again, problem gone you found it, be aware if you move this file all finder preferences are reset.

If this was not the problem move the second file to the desktop, log out and in again, problem gone it;s this file, also here, sideBar preferences are reset.

Third option is the invisible file, move it to the trash, log out and in again, same procedure.

Markwb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Awesome, thanks a lot. The first one fixed it.

What caused the issue?

And I presume I can move the file from the desk top to the trash now as it looks like a new one has been created?

thanks again
Mark

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Awesome, thanks a lot. The first one fixed it.

What caused the issue?

And I presume I can move the file from the desk top to the trash now as it looks like a new one has been created?

thanks again
Mark

:D
Good it's solved.
Yes, just delete it.

Corrupted file and/or a setting inside which does not conform to apple's "rules", unreadable by the Finder, Finder Crashes.

FYI, you can open such a file with textedit and see what is inside, better would be Property List Editor but it is only available if Developers tools are installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.