Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
My Mac Pro Hex and MBP are running on OWC RAM and SSDs and both are doing well.
I live in UK and all has been delivered in good condition and promptly (but be aware of UK TAX that will be lumped onto the OWC price)
I am a very satisfied OWC customer.

jamesschmidtke

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
I buy a lot of Apple products since we represent an apple medical software. I used to send a lot of customers to OWC to upgrade their computers, but now their customer service has gone downhill. They make it impossible to return an item even if it is bad. I just bought ram for a laptop and an IMac, the IMac memory was bad and the laptop's client didn't want to use the new memory. I had to call to get a return number for the IMac memory (did not work), they would not take it back just exchange it and I had to pay for shipping. Also, they would not take the laptop memory back (it had not been open). I will not be sending any more clients their way...

I agree things have gone downhill I made a big purchase a couole months ago and something as simple as doing the ram exchange program was tedious and I felt like I was explaining programming to my grandma. There are some great people who work there but there are plenty who aren't great and crazy slow and sometimes attiduey. Don't notice the ram much at 8.0 gb now quad mbp but the ssd I bought is a noticeable upgrade to the stock apple. To be honest next time I will prob just max out at apple and not do third party anymore though.

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
It's interesting, I've been an OWC customer since 98! I always thought their CS was excellent. However, the last time I tried to return something... The last poster is right, it has gone down hill rapidly. A lot of hoops to jump through, a dozen calls... Finally the solution was a return for partial credit... Before this, it had always been "Sure, what can we do to make it right?"

Coachingguy

jstn4bes

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
I just acquired a full on legit version of Adobe CS5 master suite (a trade for a tattoo design) and went to install it on my macbook, and it said I didn't have enough memory...so I was pretty bummed, having never upgraded memory before, I thought, "here comes a bunch of money and time, etc...but I discovered OWC and placed an order for what I need, and i cant wait! I've needed this upgrade for awhile. I'll update when I install it. Thanks for all the posts...you all helped me buy w/confidence.

Swashbuckler

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
Great Product / Great service

Just want to add to the long list of accolades. Having researched several reviews of OWC including MacRumours, I took the plunge and ordered a SSD upgrade for my MBA. I live in the UK and was surprised at the speed it was delivered. Note that I had to pay some £30 in Customs charges over and above the price paid, but still worth it. Everything you need is in the kit, including a housing called "Envoy" to convert the discarded SSD into a useful external storage device. Most important of all, their website has some practical videos showing how to do the upgrade and several links to other articles covering all aspects. The most confusing information was on Apple's website, not OWC's! I had a small problem removing the screws on the "Envoy" housing and also working out how to reconfigure the discarded SSD. I emailed OWC Customer Services and received a response within a few hours (probably due to the international time difference). Actually this ended up as virtually an online conversation with the agent who couldn't have been more helpful or polite. My MBA is now performing better than ever with twice as much RAM. WELL DONE OWC!!

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Hello RumMunkey,
I am contemplating buying RAM at OWC. How much did you have to pay for shipping and for import duties?

Thanks,

Tom

Hey Tom, OWC is great but compare prices at Crucial as well. They also ship fast and are widely regarded as a dependable vendor for Macs.

----------

bạn có biết ram giao động với giá tiền là bao nhiêu không?

Say what?

oldgeezer

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Maryland
I ordered 16 gigs from OWC for my new 27" iMac. I had no problems with the RAM itself or of OWCs order processing. But they used FEDEX SmartPost for shipping.

Tracking the package, it was in Baldwin MD 2 days after I ordered it (about 7 miles from my house), it stayed there a couple of days and then went to Kingsville MD (also about 7 miles from my house). For whatever reason it then went to North Carolina for a day or so -- I guess it needed a vacation. Finally it went to Capitol Heights MD and then via US Mail to my home three days later.

What a travesty. Nine days to get from Illinois to Maryland.

I just ordered from The Great Courses in Chantilly VA and they, too, shipped with SmartPost. Package was shipped on Tuesday but won't arrive until Saturday. Pretty poor service from a company 40 miles away.

What is the "Smart" in SmartPost??

Advice: If you purchase from OWC use their second day option. It's worth the cash.

MacbookAirlines

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
OWC 240 Go SSD for Macbook Air

Thought I would share my experience.

I have a Macbook Air 11" with 64 Go. Bought it a few years ago and I am very happy with it, however I made the mistake to go for 64 Go.
In fact I reckon even 128 Go (max available) would be too small but anyway, I enjoyed the laptop, filled it and... Ran out of space of course.

So I recently went to OWC's 240 Go SSD upgrade.
I am not USA based and picked Fedex for delivery. Worked fine
I then followed the steps found here.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/05/review-supersize-your-macbook-air-ssd-with-owcs-aura-pro-express/

Like they said I went for Carbon Copy Cloner ( 30 days free trials) and cloned my computer. About 50 Go to copy which took about 30 minutes maybe a little more.

Then I carried on with the steps all the way. Very straight forward and quick apart from the cloning back to your newly upgraded computer which took about an hour this time.

Does it work ? It sure does.
Would I do it again ? Oh yes.
Would I recommend it ? Yep definitely.

So now I am just wondering why Apple does not have a Macbook Air with 240 or 480 Go option. Because the way I see it, next time I buy a Mac (But how often to do need to replace one ;) ? ), I ll check what OWC has in stores in terms of upgrade for the cheapest version of the Mac I am interested in.

Then I ll buy the Mac and straight away upgrade it to the max specs available not with Apple but with OWC, which, I reckon would be amazingly more powerful than what Apple has on offer. And yet, remain a true Apple product with all the things we like about it (and the stuff we don't too :D ).

Sure it will make my Mac more expensive but not by that much.

Checking the price today of an 11" 64Go, I see it at 999 USD. Add 300 USD for 240 Go and you have a 1300 USD Macbook Air that doesn't even exist in store. Which has also a SSD twice a large as the biggest 11" for sale at the moment and costs 1100 USD.

Those of you who are not to techy, I would say the procedure is quite easy. Get the right screw drivers and if you are worried about the anti static precautions, use a wooden table for example. Do not wear wool jumpers and take your time. You ll be amazed how easy it is ( I was ).

Anyway, take care all.

blndcat

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
Actually you can get a MacBook Air 11" with 256GB or 512GB from Apple. Not cheap but the options are available.

* sidenote: I didn't realise Carbon Copy Cloner had gone payware. It used to be free/donationware. I tried it out, but ended up going with SuperDuper as it was less confusing. SuperDuper is free forever, though if you pay you get more features. (I paid)

digerc

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2015
Avoid this place by all means!!!

In February 2015 I consulted with their so called "Technical support Staff" via LiveChat which SSD I have to buy for my Macbook Air (I even sent him picture of my old SSD) and they sent me a link to order an SSD wich I ordered same day (paid $30-delivery fee+$30 for customs brokerage fee for inbound shipments to Canada).
Long story short I got a wrong SSD which doesn't work with my computer.
Get in touch with Customer Service via LiveChat and all I got from them is "We are very sorry, but you ordered wrong SSD".
This guys have no consideration for customers and I can prove it by presenting you transcript of my LiveChat discussion with customer service.
At the end of the day I spent $150 for useless staff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.