Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew83Ga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
I was leaning towards getting the new iMac, but then thought about the mac mini because it has HDMI for one and I just like what I've read about it. Then I started looking at apple 27 inch displays for $1000. Am I missing something or would a $500 32' HDTV with HDMI not just be the obvious winner to use as a display? Plus you have TV functionality when not being used as a monitor for the mac mini (thinking of making one of my rooms an office/guest bedroom so when we did have guests, we could just bring the Mini into the bedroom and plug her up to the TV in our room.)

Win win no? Or is a dedicated display for computers a better option for some reason?

Nov 28, 2010
located
The 27" Apple display has 2560 x 1440 pixel, while the 32" TV probably has 1920 x 1080 pixel (or maybe less), thus the display has a higher pixel density and a clearer image, which makes it good for displaying sharp text, which a TV lacks. A TV is made for moving images, while a computer display is made for static and moving images.

Normally I would say, a dedicated computer display is better for using with a computer, but I have seen many members on this board faring quite well with a larger TV with lower pixel density, thus I guess my opinion is just subjective and what I am used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.