Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vineas

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
I never used Lala for the CD sharing, but bought lots of MP3's from there before they were bought by Apple and subsequently shut down. They were the first (that I know of) where if you bought an MP3 from them, you could then stream it to listen anywhere. You could also buy just the streaming for a song for like .10, and there might have even had a match features for streaming too (can't remember for sure though).

I'm still bitter about the service being bought and closed though, it was pretty sweet at the time and there isn't much even now that really match the features and prices.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
Chances are Google has more revenue & profits than Apple. They have a search engine, Android, RELIABLE Maps, etc.
"Chances are," huh? Wow. Do you really think you can lie about stuff like this?

Let's look at Q3 2012 earnings for Apple and Google, the most recent quarter for which both companies have data.

Google reported about $14 billion in revenue, and Apple reported… let's see… $35 billion.

Oh, and you mentioned Android?

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
I doubt it, running a government and running a business is completely different. The whole point of a government is to do the essential things that businesses won't touch because there's no profit in it.

Agreed.... Yes, running a Gov't and running a business ARE 2 different things....

But the point I tried to make was that maybe if Gov't was provided with some fresh ideas --- Steve's ideas--- things could be different...

I was just throwing something out there to divert my attention from the GOOGLE v. APPLE word war that had begun to take place on these pages...
Which is NOT what the original first post was about.... this thread got out of hand quickly.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
"Chances are," huh? Wow. Do you really think you can lie about stuff like this?

Let's look at Q3 2012 earnings for Apple and Google, the most recent quarter for which both companies have data.

Google reported about $14 billion in revenue, and Apple reported… let's see… $35 billion.

Oh, and you mentioned Android?
Forgot to mention ads. That's 95% of their revenue.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Someone doesnt follow the stock market. Apple could never even come close to buying google.

In a stock swap they could. However, there would be a lot of regulatory hurdles, not least of which would be that the combined company would have the top two smartphone operating systems. Culturally the two firms wouldn't match, either.

Apple probably will make some acquisitions with its cash pile, but I doubt it will be a "10 figure" or "11 figure' transaction. Those are the kinds of deals that usually fail, and fail spectacularly.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
If you used Google correctly, you'd see Apple makes more money in a quarter than Google makes in a year. :rolleyes:

The lack of financial understanding is truly hilarious in this forum...hahahaha

Speaking of lack of financial understanding! Do you even know the definition of revenue? I know you dont so ill fill you in, its money made before any expenses are paid. Google makes tons of cash off ads that require little labor while apples products require more and more labor at every step. Not to mention r and d. I would be shocked if after expenses apple managed to make more money.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Chances are Google has more revenue & profits than Apple. They have a search engine, Android, RELIABLE Maps, etc.

This is like saying market share is more important than profit margins. Yes, Google makes milions and has their fingers in a lot of [free] pies, some of which become revenue streams, but they are making a mess of their search engine with all of the changes. Their recipe for success was simplicity, and search results are no longer simple. Good thing the results are good enough for most people.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Now all they have to do is apply the same tactics again and acquire Google

Happened in the first post... cannot say I am surprised though.

Attachments

• whatithinkofyourpost.PNG
    whatithinkofyourpost.PNG
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,940

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
If Steve were alive, he'd be invited to sit with Obama to figure a way out of the Finacial mess this country is in..... He maybe couldn't fix it right away, but there would be some unique ideas thrown out there, I'd bet !:)

No.

If that was the case, why wasnt he asked to do that before he died, say a year or 2 before when he was healthy? :rolleyes:

He was a business man, not a bloody magician.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
This is like saying market share is more important than profit margins. Yes, Google makes milions and has their fingers in a lot of [free] pies, some of which become revenue streams, but they are making a mess of their search engine with all of the changes. Their recipe for success was simplicity, and search results are no longer simple. Good thing the results are good enough for most people.

Guess it is only the canadian Google engine that is broken? US one still works fabulously and is not a mess. :rolleyes:

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Why are you guys arguing about government and business and stocks and companies? TALK ABOUT LALA. damn.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Speaking of lack of financial understanding! Do you even know the definition of revenue? I know you dont so ill fill you in, its money made before any expenses are paid. Google makes tons of cash off ads that require little labor while apples products require more and more labor at every step. Not to mention r and d. I would be shocked if after expenses apple managed to make more money.
You're kidding, right?

Apple has more revenues than Google. Apple has higher profits than Google. These are facts.

The notion that Google ads generate revenue with very little expenses is likely true, but Google spends a ton of money on projects that make little to no profits.

For the last reported quarter, Google had an operating margin of 28%. Apple had an operating margin of 35%. Apple's margins are considered very high for a predominantly hardware company. Google's margins are average for a predominantly software company.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I always thought that the whole "write a number on a piece of paper" thing was just in movies. I guess that it reduces the shock of saying a huge number out loud?

I've done this as well (albeit for purchases much less than $80 million). But for houses, cars, jewelry, yes, this does sometimes work.

apprunner

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010

Seriously? Do i have to use Google for you?

LTM ending Sept Net Income: Apple = $41.7B ; Google = $10.6B

I was never talking about revenue. I said money...net income is probably a great reflection of earnings for tech companies as asset base is low. We can speak fcf but i don't think you have a sophisticated enough understanding to make reasonable arguments there.

BTW, net income takes into account all the expenses that you speak of above. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.