Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Anyone want to bet on how long until Apple adds a stylus pen?
Does anyone still want to bet never?

they'll have to sooner or later. Unless they want to keep iPad "Fun only device" which i doubt it

besides, stylus today is much better than it was 5 years ago with those old touchscreen devices where you nearly broke the whole screen trying to click a button with it

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Screens of which iPad? iPad2 or retina iPad? Last I've heard Apple could not figure out whether people would still buy iPad2 for its large screen, or switch to iPad mini for its even lower price.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
How'd that "People wont want a device with a screen smaller than 9 inches" proclamation work out for ya, Steve? Oh wait, he can't hear me.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
How'd that "People wont want a device with a screen smaller than 9 inches" proclamation work out for ya, Steve? Oh wait, he can't hear me.

I think a lot of people want a cheaper device from Apple, and iPad mini is cheaper.

When iPAd 1 was released, any Apple customers complained 10 inches is too big?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I think a lot of people want a cheaper device from Apple, and iPad mini is cheaper.

When iPAd 1 was released, any Apple customers complained 10 inches is too big?

Actually, yes, the complaint came up a lot when it came to eBook reading on the iPad. People were saying that dedicated eReaders were more comfortable due to more manageable size and weight, not to mention the LCD screen being quite bad in sunlit areas compared to eInk and worse at night as it bombarded your eyes with light, messing up your sleep patterns.

Of course, the Mini only solves the weight/size issue for eReaders, but I think people have now moved on from hoping the iPad replace eReaders entirely.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
In other news, Apple cuts back orders on iBook shells and stops production on iPod Color due to no more demand.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Windows is a proprietary operating system that is controlled by a single vendor.

It is an open OS because it can be delivered by any HW vendor. That can't be said for iOS or OSX. It may be proprietary (even that is arguable because the APIs are public and a defacto standard) but certainly not closed.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I doubt it. The iPad and iPad Mini address different use cases. I just bought a full-size iPad for the kitchen, since I wanted the larger screen. I'll probably buy a Mini for reading e-books when Apple adds Retina support.

The current 9.7" iPad feels like a brick compared to the iPad mini. I think even a lighter 9.7" iPad would be seen as a "not much better" alternative to a retina iPad mini by many. The size of the iPad mini feels great for gaming, which is very important to younger people (under 50). You just grab it and use it without any discomfort. The small display gap (7.9" vs. 9.7") would have to be addressed, perhaps by Apple releasing a iPad with a 11" display, but still lighter than current iPads.

Maybe we'll get a hybrid iPad/MacBook (iMacPad?) someday, at 11-13" with a unified iOS/OSX running on it.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It is an open OS because it can be delivered by any HW vendor. That can't be said for iOS or OSX. It may be proprietary (even that is arguable because the APIs are public and a defacto standard) but certainly not closed.

Hardware vendors cannot modify Windows, only Microsoft can. They can license it from Microsoft and that's it. They are not free to do with it what they want as far as changing it and branding it, they have to adhere to terms of their license with Microsoft. Contrast that to Android (look at what Amazon did with Android and the Kindle). No one could do the same with Windows because it's just not an open system.

It's closed. That's not negative, so I don't understand why so many people try to spin it into an open system, it's just not and that's fine, it's one business model and has worked for Microsoft, nothing wrong with it.

But let's call it what it is.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Yeah. Steve said a lot of things.

He said nobody wanted to watch video on a tiny 2" screen. At least until the iPod with video came out.

He said nobody wanted flash mp3 players with small amounts of storage. At least until the iPod shuffle came out.

He said that web-based apps would suit the iPhone and iPod touch just fine, and that a developer SDK wasn't necessary.

He also said "You're holding it wrong."

Don't forget iBooks,preceded by"people don't read books anymore."

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
Actually, yes, the complaint came up a lot when it came to eBook reading on the iPad. People were saying that dedicated eReaders were more comfortable due to more manageable size and weight, not to mention the LCD screen being quite bad in sunlit areas compared to eInk and worse at night as it bombarded your eyes with light, messing up your sleep patterns.

Of course, the Mini only solves the weight/size issue for eReaders, but I think people have now moved on from hoping the iPad replace eReaders entirely.

I didn't buy iPad 1 because it has a curved back.

crepuscular

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012

No, that is not what "open" means.

Parts of OS X, however, are open.

----------

Hardware vendors cannot modify Windows, only Microsoft can. They can license it from Microsoft and that's it. They are not free to do with it what they want as far as changing it and branding it, they have to adhere to terms of their license with Microsoft. Contrast that to Android (look at what Amazon did with Android and the Kindle).

It's actually even questionable whether Android is "open" (DF).

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I would have to say that I was rather taken by the iPad Mini. I've always considered my iPad to be too heavy and too big at times. It begs to be taken everywhere, but it's just big enough to need a dedicated bag when I do take it out of my office.

My Note 2 has since replaced the iPad for most of the mobile work I do, but I've been eyeballing a more up-to-date Mini to fill in the need for an actual tablet.

Right there with you. Nexus 7 is getting the love for its portability. But it seems too small for real work to get done on it. I haven't even bothered to get my work email connected to it. IPad Mini with Retina is really the device I want. I feel like I can have that on the table during a high powered business meeting and everyone will know and understand what it is. My Nexus 7 I think is going to look too gamey and toy like. And it is too small for document work. But I love how it slips into my suit pocket.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It's actually even questionable whether Android is "open" (DF).

Don't use Gruber as a source of anything but FUD against Apple's competition. His justification is rubbish (and this article was written for the Honeycomb "debacle", whereas Google didn't provide the source to prevent unofficial HoneyComb phones since Honeycomb's phone code wasn't even close to finalized), and so is his opinions.

Last I checked, anyone can download the Android source code and build their own Android distribution, sanctionned or not.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
I wonder if Steve was right that the 7 inchers are too small for certain uses. But he didn't realize how much folks would be doing things like twitter and facebook on these devices. A small screen is a problem if you want to read a word document (I've tried on my Nexus 7) but if you are reading a 140 character tweet or three sentence facebook update, then there is no problem. Also, if you are playing Angry Birds or Temple Run, then the size if definitely sufficient. It just depends on what you want to do with the device.
How many people read Word documents on iPad? I have not seen any. I read maybe one Word document a day in my office on my desktop computer, but I have no need to read it on iPad. Perhaps your needs are different, but usually I see people using iPad for email, web browsing, ebooks reading, apps, some youtube video.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
How many people read Word documents on iPad? I have not seen any. I read maybe one Word document a day in my office on my desktop computer, but I have no need to read it on iPad. Perhaps your needs are different, but usually I see people using iPad for email, web browsing, ebooks reading, apps, some youtube video.

I read pdf on iPad3 very often. iPad mini is too small for pdf.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
On the open/closed arguments.

Linux and Android allow me to modify the OS and install whatever program I want to.

Windows and OS X don't allow to modify the OS, but both allow me to install whatever program I want to.

iOS doesn't allow me to modify the OS and only allows me to install approved programs.

Sadly, I see OS X moving towards iOS on the latter point rather than iOS opening up.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Saturated market?

I hope we see some price drops or at least the removal of a 16 gb iPad but 32, 64, & 128 for the same $

I read elsewhere that the nexus 7 is outselling the iPad mini in other countries

Perhaps saturated to the extent iPad 2 ad 3 owners are content enough with their devices that they skip a generation or two (or three) when it comes to upgrades? The iPad Mini OTOH, should broaden the iOS market:

- iPad owners who want a second, smaller iPad
- People who like the lower cost of entry to iWorld.

Tha the Nexus 7 might do better in some markets shouldn't be surprising. There's less simply less disposable income in some places.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

I work in law and the energy industry. If I go to a meeting that is expected to last sever hours, maybe one where a bunch of people flew in for it, if there are 20 people in the meeting there will be four or five iPads. People like to get their email during meetings and it is easier to read them on the iPad and to respond. And those emails often have Word documents attached, which they can look at much easier then if they just brought a iPhone or blackberry. The top level guys like to travel with the light iPads instead of bringing a laptop. It is sort of a status thing I think. Kind of like someone else has to carry their briefcase or at least carry the heavier laptop, while they travel light with just the latest technology.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Hardware vendors cannot modify Windows, only Microsoft can. They can license it from Microsoft and that's it. They are not free to do with it what they want as far as changing it and branding it, they have to adhere to terms of their license with Microsoft. Contrast that to Android (look at what Amazon did with Android and the Kindle). No one could do the same with Windows because it's just not an open system.

It's closed. That's not negative, so I don't understand why so many people try to spin it into an open system, it's just not and that's fine, it's one business model and has worked for Microsoft, nothing wrong with it.

But let's call it what it is.

The PC manufacturers modified shells and apps about as much as Samsung and HTC do to Android. Google's Android anyway. Only Amazon has completely departed from Google's version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.