Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
The 4 had a single core processor. The 5 has a better, faster, dual core processor. That alone should make quite a difference from the 4 to 5. Even more so if they're on a network which supports LTE.

I think when they said "honestly there isn't any difference", I think they are referring to the fact that the iPhone 4 can do 97% of the things the iPhone 5 can, maybe with the exception of things like Siri, 3D maps & panorama. Most people don't care abt that few seconds difference in speed, they care about what the phone can do for them.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I think when they said "honestly there isn't any difference", I think they are referring to the fact that the iPhone 4 can do 97% of the things the iPhone 5 can, maybe with the exception of things like Siri, 3D maps & panorama. Most people don't care abt that few seconds difference in speed, they care about what the phone can do for them.

So in that case, what can the S2 do that the S3 can't - or any other Android phone out there?

There are loads of other things the 5 does better than the 4. It has 4G, much better camera (and better microphones for video), larger screen, new design, it's much lighter.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
So in that case, what can the S2 do that the S3 can't - or any other Android phone out there?

There are loads of other things the 5 does better than the 4. It has 4G, much better camera (and better microphones for video), larger screen, new design, it's much lighter.

Despite all these, there are still loads of people out there who didn't upgrade to the iPhone 5 because all these improvements are not justified enough by the price of a new phone. If your iPhone 4 works perfectly well, why upgrade? It's not as if the iPhone 5 can do 100 things the iPhone 4 can't.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Doomsayers are always predicting this, or the end of the world, or whatever, but you know what? They're always wrong. iOS has a place in the market and suits a particular kind of user. It's not going anywhere so get used to it.
Utter nonsense. If you think Apple is infallible you had better think again. If you are claiming Apple will always be at their current level of success I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to offer you at a really good price.

This is the year it begins. I have never said that about Apple since I started using an iPhone in 2007 (and then an Apple TV, iPad and eventually 3 macs). People like me are beginning to feel that way about Apple and that cannot be trivialized away with some sort of "doomsayers" nonsense. Those saying it in the past were usually detractors (usually called haters).

Michael

----------

That's because Android is discussed on Android forums. It's completely different to here. On the Android forums I visit iOS is hardly ever mentioned, yet Android is always mentioned here... and not just in the alternatives forum.

It's like some people feel the need to force their views onto others.

I don't buy that. I know what I see. From what I see, for whatever the reason, it seems Apple and iOS fans are hyper-sensitive to criticism.

Yes, there are rabbit Android fans--or more like rabbit anti-Apple folks--who try to stir up crap. But I'm beginning to think it is because they can. If Apple/iOS fans were not so sensitive to criticism and just ignored people like that maybe they wouldn't bother.

Take this thread, for instance. There really was not anything hyper-critical about Apple going on. Yet there are people who seem to think it is downright blasphemy. Strange.

Michael

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Utter nonsense. If you think Apple is infallible you had better think again. If you are claiming Apple will always be at their current level of success I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to offer you at a really good price.

This is the year it begins. I have never said that about Apple since I started using an iPhone in 2007 (and then an Apple TV, iPad and eventually 3 macs). People like me are beginning to feel that way about Apple and that cannot be trivialized away with some sort of "doomsayers" nonsense. Those saying it in the past were usually detractors (usually called haters).

Michael

----------

I don't buy that. I know what I see. From what I see, for whatever the reason, it seems Apple and iOS fans are hyper-sensitive to criticism.

Yes, there are rabbit Android fans--or more like rabbit anti-Apple folks--who try to stir up crap. But I'm beginning to think it is because they can. If Apple/iOS fans were not so sensitive to criticism and just ignored people like that maybe they wouldn't bother.

Take this thread, for instance. There really was not anything hyper-critical about Apple going on. Yet there are people who seem to think it is downright blasphemy. Strange.

Michael

Seems to me there are two trains of thought in this thread - those like myself and matt who are saying iOS is fine for many people and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that.....

and others who say that if we're not complaining about the lack of some features, we're bringing about Apple's doom.....

Which sounds more dramatic/intense to you?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Says the person who wrote an overly dramatic novel in it that contributed nothing to the topic. :confused:

Michael

What was dramatic about my post? There were the sarcastic remarks equating some people's views on Apple 'innovation' to those on civil rights - other than that my posts have merely tried to make this point:

There are those of us who like iOS the way it is now and would rather not change it just to change it. If Apple does add features (some all of you are talking about), as long as it doesn't hurt battery life/efficiency (which I'm sure it wouldn't as apple wouldn't add those features until they could balance them) we're all for it. And yes, we will be excited, even though we don't HAVE TO HAVE those things right this second....

I still can't imagine why this line of thinking is such a problem? :confused: There's something to be said for contentment....

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Michael

----------

Michael

People have always said that this phone or that phone is the next iPhone killer and so far that hasn't happened. Forgive me for being skeptical about apples doom. The richest company in the world doesn't get there by chance and they don't vanish overnight.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
People have always said that this phone or that phone is the next iPhone killer and so far that hasn't happened. Forgive me for being skeptical about apples doom. The richest company in the world doesn't get there by chance and they don't vanish overnight.
Yes people who wanted that to happen. Didn't you read what I wrote?

Now we have people who use Apple products every day thinking that. That can't be good no matter how you try to dismiss.

We will see at least a hint when the earning report comes out next week.

Michael

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

You're probably right, although Siri makes a big difference if you drive a lot IMO.

Yes people who wanted that to happen. Didn't you read what I wrote?

Now we have people who use Apple products every day thinking that. That can't be good no matter how you try to dismiss.

We will see at least a hint when the earning report comes out next week.

Michael

What does that prove, exactly? Do you think people leaving iOS and trying out other OSes is a new thing? I didn't buy another iPhone after the 1st gen until the 5 came out. I went iPhone 1, Nokia 5800xm, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung GS3, iPhone 5.

Whilst many are leaving for other OSes, you will also have new users buying iOS devices.

You're so desperate for iOS to be failing. It's odd, really.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
The richest company in the world doesn't get there by chance and they don't vanish overnight.

Just FYI Exxon has over 300 billion in assets and I do not even think they qualify as the richest company in the world. They also came close to raking in half a trillion dollars in revenue last year to put some other things in perspective. Apple is not the richest company in the world. It is however, the largest company based on market cap valuation.

----------

Display an image/video in high definition, Smart Stay, Smart Alert, Music Square, and S Beam for starters.

Do not forget about Direct Call. :p

On a serious note I believe the S2 is getting the "Plus" patch with its Jelly Bean update in February to give it a lot of the newer Touchwiz features.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Just FYI Exxon has over 300 billion in assets and I do not even think they qualify as the richest company in the world. They also came close to raking in half a trillion dollars in revenue last year to put some other things in perspective. Apple is not the richest company in the world. It is however, the largest company based on market cap valuation.

----------

Do not forget about Direct Call. :p

On a serious note I believe the S2 is getting the "Plus" patch with its Jelly Bean update in February to give it a lot of the newer Touchwiz features.

Exxon Mobil raked in over $400 billion last year - they are the richest company in the world, though as you stated - if we ranked by market cap, Apple would be the top US company and top public company (though now only by about $50B over Exxon) - though technically not the top in the world - the state-owned Saudi oil company Saudi Aramco has a market cap over $700 billion and is estimated to be worth anywhere from $2.2 - $7 TRILLION.

As a comparison - for 2012, Apple brought in about $156B in revenue and it's assets are worth about $176B (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc.)

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

One of then, same principal applies :p Massive companies don't simply vanish overnight.

If people are selling their iPhones in droves and not enough new people are buying them, I expect Apple will change strategy.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I'm so glad some people on this board are not running apple because it would be turned into a " Me too" company.

I think the wake that some are holding for apple is rather silly. Sure the stock has dropped but anyone with a brain knows that it's the market cap that counts.

I'm glad that samsung is making a phone like the galaxy note but don't speak for me or insult me and say I'm a fanboy just because I like ios the way it is.

Show me a practical need for 2GB of ram on an iphone and it's going to have to be something better than "just because"

Sometimes just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Display an image/video in high definition, Smart Stay, Smart Alert, Music Square, and S Beam for starters.

Plus smart call, motion gestures, smart rotate (soon if the Galaxy Note-esque update has not yet been released for the S3), NFC (think some versions of the S2 had NFC but not all), burst shot, best shot, smile shot, pop up player, picture whilst taking video, and more!

Was a pretty nice upgrade. I wonder if the S4 upgrade will be as big.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm so glad some people on this board are not running apple because it would be turned into a " Me too" company.

I think the wake that some are holding for apple is rather silly. Sure the stock has dropped but anyone with a brain knows that it's the market cap that counts.

I'm glad that samsung is making a phone like the galaxy note but don't speak for me or insult me and say I'm a fanboy just because I like ios the way it is.

Show me a practical need for 2GB of ram on an iphone and it's going to have to be something better than "just because"

Sometimes just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.

Amen! Of course that kind of dangerous thinking is exactly what is driving Apple into the ground!

Curse you for being content and liking the smartphone you purchased. You should always want MORE MORE MORE!!! :rolleyes:

Ahh well - I haven't had a single person respond to any of my recent posts in a while....hopefully the logic won out finally and we can put this ridiculous notion to bed.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I think what is silly is the reading comprehension displayed in this thread.

Not one person said anything about Apple collapsing. I wrote that in my opinion this is the year that the shine comes off the Apple (with the caveat if they didn't hit another home run). I stand by it.

No one can rationally take that as meaning the end of Apple. Yet that is exactly what some have done. Amazing.

Michael

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Plus smart call, motion gestures, smart rotate (soon if the Galaxy Note-esque update has not yet been released for the S3), NFC (think some versions of the S2 had NFC but not all), burst shot, best shot, smile shot, pop up player, picture whilst taking video, and more!

Was a pretty nice upgrade. I wonder if the S4 upgrade will be as big.

When the iPhone 4S gets a "software" feature the 4 could run but doesn't get, it's evil Apple trying to squeeze money from the poor consumers.

When Samsung does the same thing its examples of innovation and just how far Samsung is pushing the envelope!

Things like this (and politics) always spawn double standards....

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Not one person said anything about Apple collapsing. I wrote that in my opinion this is the year that the shine comes off the Apple (with the caveat if they didn't hit another home run). I stand by it.

No one can rationally take that as meaning the end of Apple. Yet that is exactly what some have done. Amazing.

Michael

"This is the year it begins. I have never said that about Apple since I started using an iPhone in 2007 (and then an Apple TV, iPad and eventually 3 macs). People like me are beginning to feel that way about Apple and that cannot be trivialized away with some sort of "doomsayers" nonsense. Those saying it in the past were usually detractors (usually called haters)."

- You.

This post a little earlier came across like you think it's the beginning of the end. That people are getting sick of Apple and moving elsewhere.

My point is that some people move on, while others buy for the first time. People get bored. People move on. Sometimes people come back (I got bored, moved on and came back). It happens. Just because it has happened to you doesn't mean there's a mass exodus going on. Because you can be sure that, same as before, lots of new people are still buying iPhones. One day in the future when the iPhone has implemented some can't-live-without features you're used to on Android, you might even come back yourself!

"Out with the old, in with the new," to quote a well known phrase.

If Apple's earnings are down it could be because people DIDN'T want them to increase the screen size! Who knows?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Michael

Did he ever mention you or any of your posts - or any posts in this thread for that matter?

The title of this thread is "The overly devoted Apple customer is hurting Apple". There are also numerous people out there who on a daily basis predict the demise of Apple. All he did was state his opinion about those people....

You've taken many posts on this thread extremely seriously, often injecting your own assumptions into other people's posts. Slow down and relax. No one is attacking you as a person....

We just simply want to know - why is our contentment with iOS so wrong? Why do we need to have some urge for new and more all the time, which makes us unhappy with our current product and then broadcast that discontent to the world?

I understand wanting to change some things if they are broken - but as we've stated, there are other options if one doesn't like the way Apple goes about their business.

Unless you truly think Apple is going under because of their strategy - in which case, you would fall into that category mentioned above.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle

Michael

It's been implied by the so called experts on this board many pages ago. As well as bashing those who are happy with their purchases in face the exact title of this thread takes a dig at people who like their products.

You know what though I will stay out of threads like this because its just a Trojan horse to create another ios vs android argument.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
When the iPhone 4S gets a "software" feature the 4 could run but doesn't get, it's evil Apple trying to squeeze money from the poor consumers.

When Samsung does the same thing its examples of innovation and just how far Samsung is pushing the envelope!

Things like this (and politics) always spawn double standards....
Never-mind facts like the S2 only has a 4.3" screen compared to the S3's 4.8 or that the S3's screen has over 2 1/2 times the number of pixels. I mean that couldn't possibly be a factory in pop-up video. And please point me to the software-based NFC chip. :rolleyes:

More importantly, Samsung is the hardware maker. Google is the OS maker. Samsung adds to the OS for their specific hardware.

Apple, on the other hand, clearly subtracts--and they make the whole enchilada. They took away turn-by-turn navigation in Maps on the iPhone 4. Even the 3GS can do turn-by-turn navigation quite well as used it all the time. The real insult is how well Google maps works on the iPhone 4, turn-by-turn navigation and all. And no one who sees how well Google voice search works on the iPhone 4 can defend the lack of Siri on it without being dishonest.

Michael

----------

It's been implied by the so called experts on this board many pages ago.
Surely you can do better than that.

Michael

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Never-mind facts like the S2 only has a 4.3" screen compared to the S3's 4.8 or that the S3's screen has over 2 1/2 times the number of pixels. I mean that couldn't possibly be a factory in pop-up video. And please point me to the software-based NFC chip. :rolleyes:

More importantly, Samsung is the hardware maker. Google is the OS maker. Samsung adds to the OS for their specific hardware.

Apple, on the other hand, clearly subtracts--and they make the whole enchilada. They took away turn-by-turn navigation in Maps on the iPhone 4. Even the 3GS can do turn-by-turn navigation quite well as used it all the time. The real insult is how well Google maps works on the iPhone 4, turn-by-turn navigation and all. And no one who sees how well Google voice search works on the iPhone 4 can defend the lack of Siri on it without being dishonest.

Michael

----------

Surely you can do better than that.

Michael

FYI, NFC chips can be embedded in microsd cards, SIM cards and batteries.

Samsung released a version of the S2 with NFC support but didn't offer any way of installing NFC features on the non-NFC version.

You really shouldn't criticise Apple for holding back features, when at least we get several updates. Apple is probably the best by far at providing software updates for older devices. Updates are timely and guaranteed, too. With Android there's always a degree of uncertainty over which devices will get to update and when.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think the OP has a very good point - it's the vocal minority that often has the greatest impact on ANY company's innovation practices - Apple included. Having seen things from the Android side of the fence - currently stuck on Android 2.3.5, and my provider has zero intentions of offering my phone any updates at all - I know how frustrating things can be when features you expect to arrive with software updates never arrive. Hmm, perhaps I should switch to Windows Phone then, and get one of those Android media players to replace my Android phone. Shame the competition doesn't see the value in an iPod touch class of device, since such things are a rarity outside Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.