Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbflip2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
I ordered a battery replacement for my 1st generation iPhone (4GB) so my 1yo daughter can use it on this fisher price toy that we got her. I was surprised that apple replaced the entire device instead of just replace that battery. Surely I thought they wouldn't have any 4GB iPhone 1st gen (one of the rarest iPhones).... but when I looked up the serial number of the replacement device that they are sending me, this was the information that it got out of the serial number.

Model: - iPhone
Codename: - M68
Build Country: - We don't know where this unit was built.
Build Year: - This unit was built in 2012.
Build Week - Your device was built in week 39 of that year (September).
Production Nr.: - This unit was number 17 to be built that week.

Serial number began with a QR. With same capacity (4GB)

I wonder how long will apple continue to build them.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
You are getting a free furnished phone.

My moms original iPod nano's battery went bad recently and my mom paid $60 for a "new" one but its actually refurbished and they took her old one. The old one will no doubt be refurbished and sold to somebody else.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
That's kinda hard to believe.

I would like to purchase one if they are willing to sell it.

cbflip2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
You are getting a free furnished phone.

My moms original iPod nano's battery went bad recently and my mom paid $60 for a "new" one but its actually refurbished and they took her old one. The old one will no doubt be refurbished and sold to somebody else.

Yea the internals will most likely be refurbed. But doesn't apple use new parts for the outside and new battery. So they are still making external shells and batteries. It'll be here by Monday. I'll post pics when it arrives.

----------

so i can bring my original iphone for repair and get a replacement?

I paid a $79 + $6.95 shipping fee to get my battery replaced when I called AppleCare. I was thinking they would open the phone up and change the battery but they replaced the entire device. YMMV on what they actually do. They may just change the battery or replace it according to their terms.

Psycho Mantis

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
California
I had mine replace in 2010 for a faulty touch screen under warranty, surprised me because apparently the warranty on that screen was extended to 5 years. I actually had to return to the Apple store the next day to pickup my iPhone because they didn't have any in stock.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Yea the internals will most likely be refurbed. But doesn't apple use new parts for the outside and new battery. So they are still making external shells and batteries. It'll be here by Monday. I'll post pics when it arrives.

----------

I paid a $79 + $6.95 shipping fee to get my battery replaced when I called AppleCare. I was thinking they would open the phone up and change the battery but they replaced the entire device. YMMV on what they actually do. They may just change the battery or replace it according to their terms.

Actually it's the opposite. Most iPhones that old are going to have scratches and lots of abuse. They will give it a new screen and back and battery and keep the rest of the internals the way they are.

Keep in mind that a back and a screen for the original iPhone costs them almost nothing.

Just because you can no longer get it doesn't mean they don't make them anymore.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Bet a hundred bucks that says that Apple has stored a model of each iteration in some corner of their company. It's like a timeline of iPhones :)

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
You sure your getting a gen 1 back? I took my iPhone 3G to get its battery replaced and they gave me a 3GS. When I asked about it they said it was because they didn't make the 3G anymore.

cbflip2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
You sure your getting a gen 1 back? I took my iPhone 3G to get its battery replaced and they gave me a 3GS. When I asked about it they said it was because they didn't make the 3G anymore.

Yea I'm sure it's a first generation after running the replacement serial number that apple emailed me on Apple site and another serial # checker site.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Bet a hundred bucks that says that Apple has stored a model of each iteration in some corner of their company. It's like a timeline of iPhones :)

I want to see that, imagine if they also have timelines of all their other products starting with the Apple 1. Haha

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
This pretty much standard with Apple's small products.

If you really want a refurbished gen1 phone, buy one off eBay and then take it to an Apple store for replacement. They will charge you either $80 if it just needs a new battery or $150 if more is wrong with it.

They will take your phone and give you a refurbished unit in return.

cbflip2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
The iPhone just came in. It looks brand new even though the internals won't be. I'm happy with it.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 278
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 306
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 417
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 510

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
flip... message me how u got it.. my original iphone is having problems as well.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
You should keep it in mint condition. You never know how much it would be worth in 10 years. There are a lot of Apple related collectors out there. the original Mac sold for quite a lump sum at auctions.

cbflip2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
flip... message me how u got it.. my original iphone is having problems as well.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012

Did they charge u by calling them out of warranty? so 79 + 6.95 that's it? i supposed they shipped u a shipping box and u shipped it to them right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.