Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DEATHCON51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I was wondering if I were to buy some more RAM for the new iMac. Would it be compatible if I were to buy some more RAM for my Late 2011 MBP 17'', then later move it over to the new iMac when I get it?

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
2011 Macs can handle 16GB DDR3-1600MHz easily.

Based on available info today 2013 Macs would use the same DDR3-1600MHz memory as 2012 Macs.

intel_ivb_10w.jpg.jpeg

Source: http://vr-zone.com/articles/pc-cpus-in-2013--year-of-the-haswell/18558.html

Last edited:

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
What would work great on both the iMac and the 2011 MBP would be the Corsair Vengeance 16GB kit.
[url=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51a1EdgvJcL.jpg]Image
[/URL]

If you decide to put it in the iMac, you can use it together with two existing modules without any problems.

I'm not sure if that's completely accurate (mixing this kit with the original RAM). I believe I saw another response in a different thread that indicated that this kit has a lower CAS Latency (CL) than the stock RAM and when mixing the two it would bump the memory bus down to a lower speed.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I'm not sure if that's completely accurate (mixing this kit with the original RAM). I believe I saw another response in a different thread that indicated that this kit has a lower CAS Latency (CL) than the stock RAM and when mixing the two it would bump the memory bus down to a lower speed.

All memory modules run at the speed of the slowest, so either buy a second kit to have 4x8GB or live with the rather small decrease in performance which will be greatly outweighened by the increases from the added amount of RAM.

What I was saying it that it will work without a problem and won't prevent the machine from booting. FWIW, it would be as fast as the RAM Apple installs in the iMacs, so it won't be slower than stock.

rjs2

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
UK
A lot of people are using crucial ram. do a search, there are loads of threads :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.