Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
If you update all 4 modules, why didn't you go with faster CL10 RAM like the Corsair Vengeance 16GB kit? It's both faster and cheaper.
51a1EdgvJcL.jpg

The RAM you've ordered supports both 1.35V and 1.5V, so it definitive works with the Mac. DDR3L just operates at a lower voltage to save energy (which isn't so much of a concern in an iMac as it is in a MBP).

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
You mean 1.35V versus 1.5V? Well, I know that when browsing Crucial's website, it stated that my iMac I had at the time was compatible with the 1.35V RAM, but the RAM that was installed from the factory was 1.5V. So I bought that instead, even though Crucial's website said it wasn't compatible. Now, I believe that 1.35V RAM is Dual-Voltage, meaning you can use it in 1.35V and 1.5V machines, it won't matter either way. Apparently the 1.35V RAM is more energy efficient, uses less power, doesn't get as hot. Some people I know don't like the low voltage RAM, but this is the same guy that has real stupid opinions, so... I would say if Crucial's website states that it's compatible, it's going to compatible. But if you are that worried, simply wait until you get the iMac, pop off the cover, remove one of the sticks and see what the voltage is. Usually shows it right on the label on most RAM. THOUGH, on my Mid-2011 iMac I had, it didn't display the RAM voltage on the label, so I had to do a google search for the model number and found that it was 1.5V RAM.

----------

Also, I wanted to say. I checked out your link there, and I believe Crucial has it on their website for cheaper. At $87 last time I checked. So it might be worth it to check their sight out versus buying from Amazon. Also, I've heard horror stories about people buying RAM and memory on Amazon. Too many counterfeits, incorrect model numbers and such.

TigerClaw27

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I accidentally ordered 1.35V DDR3-1600 modules for my 2012 iMac 27" and they work just fine with the original apple sodimms.

iAco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
OK I can confirm that the RAM stated in the OP is perfect and works flawlessly in the new iMac (late 2012).

Perhaps the low-power RAM will generate less heat? That may help when I jam 4 of them in there. Who knows!

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Judging by the huge amount of 5 star reviews, mostly from Mac users, those have to be awesome conterfeits.

Seriously though, reading the reviews before a purchase and looking for alternatives if they aren't satisfactory for you is kinda self-explainatory.

I'm not talking about JUST counterfeits. I'm talking about the incorrect model number either being listed on the product page or incorrect model number shipped. I don't doubt there is some counterfeit RAM out there on Amazon, though it's probably not as likely with Crucial products on Amazon. Mostly the counterfeit items are memory cards and flash drives. But still, I would rather save $10 and purchase from the actual manufacturer, rather than pay an extra $10 for the same product from a company that occasionally sells counterfeit products. I want to be clear though, that I doubt this is of any wrong doing by Amazon. More than likely it's to do with their supplier supplying them with the counterfeit or incorrect item. Still, why not save $10 and go directly from Crucial is my point.

Also, just because an item has a lot of 5 star reviews, doesn't mean there aren't negative reviews. And all as I'm saying is that the negative reviews I've seen are because people received the incorrect model number, or the incorrect model number was listed on the product page.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I don't really see how "Sells and ships from Amazon.com" can end up being a counterfeit product, or the wrong product (which actually comes most of the time as "I ordered 8GB, it says 8GB on the box but only 4GB on the Mac", which is due to the memory limit of the Mac and not the RAMs fault - but that doesn't apply here, as the Mac in question supports 32GB of RAM).

Also, the Crucial is only $1 cheaper, but is has a slower timing of CL11 as opposed by the faster CL10 of the Corsair.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.