Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

euroflip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
I recently bought an ASUS Gtx 670 Direct CUII OC 2GB videocard. I installed it with the 2 6pin cables, but the card just does not want to work. There is chime, no diagnostic error, but all I see is a blank screen. I have 2 drives (1SSD, and 1 HDD) in my system.

On the SSD I have 10.8.2 Mountain Lion. When I only boot with this drive, there is nothing, keyboard does not work, occasionally reboots. Can`t select Bootcamp partition with non functioning keyboard.

On the HDD I have 10.7. With this OSX I hear the drive working, even though there is no signal and all I see is a black screen the system is up and running, because I can shut down with the keyboard shortcut.

I was wondering how to make the card work, or maybe there is something with factory over/clocking that makes the trouble? It`s on 1058Mhz on default...

I had a 8800GT before, but it just died. So I don`t have any other card with an EFI rom.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance!
Robin

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Which drive does your Mac boot to by default? You won't get a boot screen with a non Mac card, but it should boot up and into Mountain Lion if that drive is your default drive.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I doubt it is power. If it needed more than 2x6-pin power, it would have one or two 8-pin connectors.

You could try reviving the 8800gt using the baking method. With both cards installed it would help troubleshooting your 670 to be able to use the OS.

euroflip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Thanks for the answers. My main boot drive is the SSD.
I was thinking about this baking, but even if it works, how am I supposed to drive 2 video cards if there's no more power source is available?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
how am I supposed to drive 2 video cards if there's no more power source is available?

Sorry man. I wasn't familiar enough with the 8800GT to know that it required external power.

Have you tried the GTX 670 in a PC? Maybe it's just a bad card.

euroflip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Just popped the card into a pc and it started without any hassle...
So the card is OK, just not in my Mac.
What about Mac Nvidia driver? It supposed to be integrated with Mountain Lion. But if I dont have video signal, I believe its a hardware problem. What could possibly go wrong in a Mac Mobo? SSD system wont boot, HDD Snowleopard does. WTF?

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
How many monitors are you trying to connect and to which connectors on the video card are you using? The card should work natively in ML but for me it only support two monitors connected via DVI to get the third to come up via display port to DVI I had to install the Nvidia drivers. Which slot do you have the card in, in your Mac? Are you sure its seated firmly in the slot? Do the fans on the card spin up when you power on your Mac?

euroflip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
I have 2 monitors (30" and a 24") to my old 8800gt I hooked them up with DVI. With the Gtx670 I tried to connect both and only one with Dvi and Displayport in all possible variations. I tried it in Slot 1 and 2 as well.
I believe there is a problem with the main board, cause there is zero signal coming out.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
What model Mac Pro do you have?

Do you have a third monitor you can try?

I can't believe its a problem with your logic board, that's just too weird.

Do you have a second Mac or a PC you could try to remote into via screensharing on your Mac Pro?

euroflip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
I have the early 2008 Mac Pro 3.1
I do have another 23" monitor, but I don't know what difference it makes to change the peripheral. It either shows screen or don't depending on signal.
Or maybe if the settings are tweaked those can cause this no signal bogus?

----------

How do you achieve this screen sharing?

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Well seeing as you don't have a working video card at all, its impossible to turn on screen sharing at this point, but you do it in system settings/sharing.

Not sure what else to say, still find it hard to believe its a hardware issues at this point.

euroflip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Hey Ashman, you were right!

It wasn't a hardware issue.
So in my final and last attempt I made the leap of faith and revived my 8800GT with the famous Bakin' technique...AND IT ****ING WORKS!!
I couldn't believe it, but it does. I followed a very thorough guide on youtube, and 20 something minutes later, I saw my beloved apple boot :) OK, it was more like 1,5 hours. I cleaned the card previously. So I only had to bake it and thermal paste it again.
So I immediately checked the firmware of my Mobo. 1.3 OK it's up to date.
I downloaded and installed the latest driver for Nvidia for 10.8.2 ML.
Changed to the GTX 670....and guess what?

It works like a charm.

So in my rare case, the driver was not included in ML.

Thanks again for everyone who tried to help me, keep on bakin' and tryin' :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.