Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bs2511feist

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
USA
Hello, my name is Ben. I have an ipod touch 8Gb 2nd generation that i bought a little over a year ago. The problem is that my ipod wont change more than enough to make it turn on. So when i plug the ipod (with no battery) into the usb charger it take a few minutes to be charged enough to be able to turn on and it starts up the usual way (i can see the white apple pop up on the screen showing that it is turning on.) Once it's on it no longer is charging. I am certain that the cord is not the problem because i tried 3 different usb chargers and the ipod has the same problem with all of them. I also used the charger to charge another ipod touch and it charges just fine. I am wondering if this problem is fixable from my house. What should i do? Do i have to take it into the apple store?? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated! Thanks - :apple:Ben:apple:

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Hello, my name is Ben. I have an ipod touch 8Gb 2nd generation that i bought a little over a year ago. The problem is that my ipod wont change more than enough to make it turn on. So when i plug the ipod (with no battery) into the usb charger it take a few minutes to be charged enough to be able to turn on and it starts up the usual way (i can see the white apple pop up on the screen showing that it is turning on.) Once it's on it no longer is charging. I am certain that the cord is not the problem because i tried 3 different usb chargers and the ipod has the same problem with all of them. I also used the charger to charge another ipod touch and it charges just fine. I am wondering if this problem is fixable from my house. What should i do? Do i have to take it into the apple store?? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated! Thanks - :apple:Ben:apple:

Are you using USB on a computer or household power to charge it?

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Have you tried a different computer or using a wall converter? Any wall converter that has usb should work.

Your computer may not be giving enough voltage out of the USB port.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
A lot of things can make it not work correctly. Im not saying that is the reason, it may be one. I know an iPad wont charge when being used but will when sleeping so im just guessing here that the iPod isnt getting enough voltage...other than this something is probably wrong with the iPod.

Have you been able to try another computer or wall outlet? Connect direct to the port and dont use hubs also.

Hobojimbobo

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
Sorry for revive from the dead ----

This is happening to me now. I have had this happen before on another iPod that I eventually restored. The IPod will not charge past boot and cannot backup in iTunes. Has any progress been made? This has happened on my 2G and new 5G

Highwired

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
I've been having this issue for a year now. Apple is worthless when it comes to getting help. I sent it in & they sent it back in the same condition. Online forums are no help. Once it dies, it must remain plugged in for 2-3 days in order to actually be charged. It is a problem with the iPod not the cord. My cord works fine on my iPhone but not the iPod. It is not recognized by computers. It won't recognize USB other than when it is powered off. That starts it up but then it stops showing that it is charging.

Thank you Apple for dropping the ball.

TheJackster1

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
A quick fix or lots of money well spent

I've been having this issue for a year now. Apple is worthless when it comes to getting help. I sent it in & they sent it back in the same condition. Online forums are no help. Once it dies, it must remain plugged in for 2-3 days in order to actually be charged. It is a problem with the iPod not the cord. My cord works fine on my iPhone but not the iPod. It is not recognized by computers. It won't recognize USB other than when it is powered off. That starts it up but then it stops showing that it is charging.

OK we all know when there is a problem like this apple quickly denies it :D
There could be 2 problems, the PC (or Mac :mad: ) or the iPod

there could be quick fix for this

firstly I'm going to need some more info.

computer: insert make and model here
iPod: insert generation here
iTunes: insert version here

it could be just a battery problem or it could be some more serious

shelli1017

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2013
pennyslvania, USA
ipod touch wont charge

i have the same issue and i know this thread is old, but if chance, did you ever find out the problem???? if anyone knows why the ipod touch 4g isnt charging, please let me know!

it isnt the chargers, i have used many and have checked the chargers on other ppls ipods and they work fine.

the ipod recognizes when its turned off or dead, and i plug it into a charger in the wall, it WILL TURN ITSELF ON,. and it will also say its charging, the green battery will show on the screeen, but even after hours of charging, as soon as i unplug it, it dies within minutes??
what could be the problem??
the ipod worked fine , and i never even had a battery issue- i thought that my battery was strong, it held a charge for a decent amount of time..than one day, it just stopped charging?!?!

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
No repairs to touch at apple store

screen was moving up from frame.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
7 aug 13
brought in my touch to apple store, repair. Guy told me they are told NOT
to attempt any repair on touch...offered to exchange it for $100, but that's what happened a year +2 months ago, BUT he diagnosed my problem,
screen was moving up from frame.
If it was in warranty they would have replaced it. It sounds like it was out of warranty. The exchange is a decent deal at that price as you also get a fresh battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.