Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ma9z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Hi! My iPhone 4S speakers weren't working. The volume bar wouldn't show up. And you couldn't raise or lower volume, so I read online you can take rubbing alcohol on the bottom connector port and headphone jack. I used a bit of rolled up paper to rub it.

It didn't work to fix my speakers, and everything was going fine, up until about 10 minutes later, the screen started turning blue, and eventually faded into a bunch of blue and sometimes red vertical lines.

Everything else was in order, and, ironically, the speakers now worked. The sounds and texting and everything still works, the screen just wont show up. It even works to swipe and select things, you just can't see what you're doing.

I ordered a new screen and installed it (I've done it 4 times before, once to my phone, and 3 other times to friends phones)

After installation, I booted it up and it still won't work. The screen is just black. Doesn't work to swipe or select anything, although it does still turn on and I can use Siri by using the home button.

It's a brand new screen. Did I do something wrong? What can I do?

Help please! I'm desperate, been without a phone for almost a week!

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hi! My iPhone 4S speakers weren't working. The volume bar wouldn't show up. And you couldn't raise or lower volume, so I read online you can take rubbing alcohol on the bottom connector port and headphone jack. I used a bit of rolled up paper to rub it.

It didn't work to fix my speakers, and everything was going fine, up until about 10 minutes later, the screen started turning blue, and eventually faded into a bunch of blue and sometimes red vertical lines.

Everything else was in order, and, ironically, the speakers now worked. The sounds and texting and everything still works, the screen just wont show up. It even works to swipe and select things, you just can't see what you're doing.

I ordered a new screen and installed it (I've done it 4 times before, once to my phone, and 3 other times to friends phones)

After installation, I booted it up and it still won't work. The screen is just black. Doesn't work to swipe or select anything, although it does still turn on and I can use Siri by using the home button.

It's a brand new screen. Did I do something wrong? What can I do?

Help please! I'm desperate, been without a phone for almost a week!

This might sound like a dumb question, but did you happen to get insurance for it from whatever carrier you're using? I know AT&T sells it and allows(I think) up to four replacements over the course of your contract.

ma9z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
This might sound like a dumb question, but did you happen to get insurance for it from whatever carrier you're using? I know AT&T sells it and allows(I think) up to four replacements over the course of your contract.

No insurance, unfortunately.

----------

The most common type of rubbing alcohol, 70%, still is 30% water.

So is it fried? Is the damage from the water or the alcohol or both?

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
1) The original screen had something on it.

2) The new one is just black?

3) If that is so I would go back in, look at the cable and reseat it to insure it is OK.

From the screen providers I have bought from they pretty much say if #1 and #2 are true, then try #3

ma9z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
1) The original screen had something on it.

2) The new one is just black?

3) If that is so I would go back in, look at the cable and reseat it to insure it is OK.

From the screen providers I have bought from they pretty much say if #1 and #2 are true, then try #3

Thank you! I have tried re-connecting it... Still a no-go... That's why I thought it was weird that it didn't work.

Old screen had blue lines, this one: nothing.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Thank you! I have tried re-connecting it... Still a no-go... That's why I thought it was weird that it didn't work.

Old screen had blue lines, this one: nothing.

Just for laughs - not really

Have you retried the old screen and if so does it still have the blue lines?

If so I would think the new screen would have them if it was not the screen.

What are the chances the new screen is a dud ???

Putting the old screen back in and seeing the blue lines again would cause me to think you got a bad new screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.