Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamj575

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Tennessee
I am thinking of getting either an eyetv250 plus or an hd homerun to connect either my imac with the eyetv or my tv with the homerun and use the eyetv software on my mac. My main question is will I be able to get channels 2-62 on the eyetv or homerun just like i do when i screw the coax cable into my tv?...im having a hard time understanding all the encryption/qam talk....basically, now when I screw the coax into the tv i get channels 2-62 and i want that to be the same when i screw it in to whichever tuner i go with....my thinking is that as long as whatever device i get has a digital tuner it should function no differently than the tuner built into my tv...correct me if i am wrong...sorry for the long post and thanks for any help!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I am thinking of getting either an eyetv250 plus or an hd homerun to connect either my imac with the eyetv or my tv with the homerun and use the eyetv software on my mac. My main question is will I be able to get channels 2-62 on the eyetv or homerun just like i do when i screw the coax cable into my tv?...im having a hard time understanding all the encryption/qam talk....basically, now when I screw the coax into the tv i get channels 2-62 and i want that to be the same when i screw it in to whichever tuner i go with....my thinking is that as long as whatever device i get has a digital tuner it should function no differently than the tuner built into my tv...correct me if i am wrong...sorry for the long post and thanks for any help!
I think that is correct. I think the bigger question is: How much longer are you going to be able to tap into the qam? Regulations have changed and unencrypted qam is being phased out.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
If you have to plug your coax into a digital cable box and then from the box to your TV then your signals are most likely encrypted, which means you'll need the EyeTV HD.

If you plug your coax directly into your TV and get channels then any of the regular EyeTV products should work fine because the signals aren't encrypted.

...but like mic j said, I do believe unencrypted cable is being phased out. I remember a co-worker that never paid for cable, he just ran a coax cable to the 40' pole on the corner of his property where the cable lines came into the neighborhood and connected his house to the main line. Back then when they disconnected the cable service, the company would just climb the pole and cut the connector off.
Now almost all lines are buried and you need digital boxes to receive channels.

adamj575

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Tennessee
Well, yeah I can get channels 2-62 by going straight to my tv....I would assume there is no big rush in my market to switch anything....may pick up an eyetv 250 plus...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.