Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Why would anyone even expect being able to play games at native resolution on such a display? Playing at 1440p is surely enough for the time being.

If you make a retina iMac, users will expect to be able to use it at full resolution, even when gaming.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
http://isthisretina.com/

Per this calculator (not sure of it's validity), you'd need to sit the following distances away from the display in order for it to be "retina".

MBPr - 15 inches
iMac - 32 inches
27" 4k display - 21 inches

Right now I'm sitting 20 inches away from a 24" display, so I would agree that 4k would be about right for a 27" retina display, but it would only be ~165ppi.

In other words, all displays are Retina if you're far enough away from them. "Move farther back" will become the new "You're holding it wrong."

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If you make a retina iMac, users will expect to be able to use it at full resolution, even when gaming.

That's why the concept of resolution has to go away completely. With a HiDPI display, this concept is all but obsolete and confuses the average user. For games, it will become 'blurrier picture, better performance' vs 'sharper picture, less performance'. We already have it with printers. Apple has started to do something like this with its display settings for retina MBP ('looks like ...').

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
That's why the concept of resolution has to go away completely. With a HiDPI display, this concept is all but obsolete and confuses the average user. For games, it will become 'blurrier picture, better performance' vs 'sharper picture, less performance'. We already have it with printers. Apple has started to do something like this with its display settings for retina MBP ('looks like ...').

Hear! Hear!

:D

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
On a Retina display, a screen with 4K resolution (3840-by-2160) would give the same screen real-estate as the current 21.5-inch iMac (1920-by-1080) given that four pixels equals one point. This means 4K is perfect for the 21.5-inch iMac at 204ppi.

However, 4K is a step back on the 27-inch since it would give you a 1920-by-1080 usable resolution instead of the 2560-by-1440 it does now. (Of course, you could always use the display at its native resolution but that would also make everything smaller [i.e.: text].) A 5120-by-2880 resolution would give the 27-inch iMac a 218ppi.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
On a Retina display, a screen with 4K resolution (3840-by-2160) would give the same screen real-estate as the current 21.5-inch iMac (1920-by-1080) given that four pixels equals one point. This means 4K is perfect for the 21.5-inch iMac at 204ppi.

However, 4K is a step back on the 27-inch since it would give you a 1920-by-1080 usable resolution instead of the 2560-by-1440 it does now. (Of course, you could always use the display at its native resolution but that would also make everything smaller [i.e.: text].) A 5120-by-2880 resolution would give the 27-inch iMac a 218ppi.

I totally agree. I think we'll see a retina iMac or retina thunderbolt display by late 2013 to 2014, but it's definately not gonna be 27'' the first time around. It's either gonna be 21.5'', or some other slightly larger size. Anyway, the latest 27'' iMac screen is really awesome, I'm not missing anything here... :D

Last edited:

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I want this device. Gimmeeeeeeeeeeeeee. You know, from a desktop standpoint i think Apple is behind surprisingly in the display area where they shine. I guess we will get retina eventually.

I want a touch based iMac with a swivel so i can lay it flat, i want to change the height too. And 6 core for good meausre :D someday....

Don't care for touch on a Mac but, bring back the swivel/adjustable G4 iMac design with a retina display at like 27"!!!!! That would be incredible.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I want this device. Gimmeeeeeeeeeeeeee. You know, from a desktop standpoint i think Apple is behind surprisingly in the display area where they shine. I guess we will get retina eventually.

I want a touch based iMac with a swivel so i can lay it flat, i want to change the height too. And 6 core for good meausre :D someday....

:apple: brought the display war itself with Retina display on iPhone 4. Everybody was caught off guard, nobody was interested enough on selling and mass producing a phone with 300+ dpi display except :apple:.

Since then all competitions has been trying to catch up in display department, some has been able to surpass what Apple achieved. Nowadays I think it's going to be a point of reversal if Apple is not innovating again soon.

undies1993

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
:apple: brought the display war itself with Retina display on iPhone 4. Everybody was caught off guard, nobody was interested enough on selling and mass producing a phone with 300+ dpi display except :apple:.

Since then all competitions has been trying to catch up in display department, some has been able to surpass what Apple achieved. Nowadays I think it's going to be a point of reversal if Apple is not innovating again soon.

Innovate and bring retina to the iMac, I say to Apple.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
The article said 20" screen; a bit to big to carry around but very nice as secondary screen of the desk or beside the bed.
Looks really nice; I would like to know the price range ...

20" that would be the iPad Maxi :p

I don't see a similar screen coming to the iMac until the LCD makers start producing 27" versions or maybe a bit bigger for a future iMac.

I better start saving for my next iMac, only have my 2012 five months :)

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
so based on more 2880p wallpapers added to DP8 Maveriks , we can expect to a new displays of the 2013 imacs ?

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Anyway, the latest 27'' iMac screen is really awesome, I'm not missing anything here... :D

Slightly off topic I guess, but I was intrigued by this comment. In what particular way(s) would you say it's really awesome?

There's a lot of sample variation and I am very lucky that I seem to have an extremely good screen on my late 2012 iMac. But I would describe the screen as pretty darned average to be honest. I don't think it excels in any area at all, and is poor compared to high-end 27" displays such as those from NEC, Eizo and to a lesser extent Samsung.

As another example, the screen on the HP-Z1 all-in-one is VASTLY better, and that is just an bog-standard LG S-IPS panel.

I do wonder if some people have no experience of a quality display and like the 27" iMac screen simply because it is big.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.