Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Godf1st

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
Over four days since the last full charge, and still going!

I tried all the battery-saving tips and none of them really helped much...

Except last week I discharged the battery to 1% and then charged fully for 2-4 hours. That made all the difference!

Location Settings On (for the apps I need it for)
LTE On
Push Off
Notifications On (for the apps I need it for)
Privacy-Location Services Off
iCloud Off
Brightness Level 30%

Quick question. I think having icloud on for contacts, calendars, reminders, etc. has something to do with battery drain. So how often does icloud run? Not the backup part for your entire data, but for contacts, calendars, reminders, etc.?

Godf1st

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
turning those off then whats the point of not using the features..thats the way I see it.

----------

thats amazing battery life

I average

7-8 hours usage
1 day standby

and i'm very happy with that.

Is that with auto brightness or a certain specific level?

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Quick question. I think having icloud on for contacts, calendars, reminders, etc. has something to do with battery drain. So how often does icloud run? Not the backup part for your entire data, but for contacts, calendars, reminders, etc.?

I think it does too, which is why I don't use it, so I can't tell ya.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

No, I think that is incorrect. iCloud is not constantly updating, only when you plug it in and it is connected to wifi does it back up. Thus, that is when it should be updating all contacts, etc.

Godf1st

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
No, I think that is incorrect. iCloud is not constantly updating, only when you plug it in and it is connected to wifi does it back up. Thus, that is when it should be updating all contacts, etc.

Yeah, but what about those who are connected on and off throughout the day with wifi?

I too have turned it off and will turn it on when I have made major changes to contacts and calendar.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Yeah, but what about those who are connected on and off throughout the day with wifi?

I too have turned it off and will turn it on when I have made major changes to contacts and calendar.

Doesn't make a difference. Only when you are connected to power will it back up to the cloud. Perhaps the only time that it sends any information make be to photostream.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan

iCloud does one backup every twenty-four hours no? When connected to wifi, a power source, and when locked. Any other movement by the service is when you manually update something on any end. That's my understanding anyway.

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
fyi Last week as I posted I was taking the plunge and restoring as a new phone rather than from a backup. I have ran it down a couple times to get true usage times out of my phone prior to restore and after.

Prior to restoring I would get 4.5 to 5.5 hours at most on normal every day usage. Heavy GPS, watching video for an hour at lunch, texting and safari browsing. This all on 4g(not LTE) and 5 or 6 hours of Wifi at night.

After restoring I would see around 5.5 to 6.5 hours with heavy GPS usage, watching video for an hour at lunch, texting and safari browsing consistently on the same network/wifi %. So doing the full restore I got an extra hour of usage. Normally I have it plugged up to power for the GPS except for these tests to get true usage times so it will me higher than that normally.

On WIFI most of the weekend I went 2 days between charge using my phone a lot with light GPS usage and still had 23% left when I plugged it back in last night to charge. Overall a huge improvement in the length of time the battery lasts. I can almost hit the hours that Apple quoted on different aspects now. It is a pain to lose text history and some game history but worth it in the long run.

rrryfl

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
Hello, all! I'm new to this forum, and need your opinions/perspectives/advice! Ive had my 16g iphone 5 since early Dec. 2012. Been running io6 since early Jan 2013. My battery life is awful. Not sure if its io6 related, but my inclination is yes. These are the measures I've taken in attempts to improve performance: no wi-fi, no siri, no fetch, no push, no location service, no LTE, screen @20%, and I always clean multi-tasking tray. Cycled battery 3 times in 3 weeks. 3G.

So taking these things in consideration, here is a breakdown of my last cycle:

5:55am Unplugged from charger, battery at 100%. Turned phone on, killed all apps, turned phone off. Went to sleep.
12:04pm Wake up, turn phone on. 54%. (Huh?) Turn off. Sleep.
2:34pm Wake up, turn on. 54%. (Confusing?) Snap this pic. Turn off.

2:44pm Send 3 texts, receive 2. Same person. Turn off.
2:52pm Battery at 45%.
2:59pm Use Instagram and Facebook (6mins). Kill apps. 40%. Turn off
3:11pm Turn on. 36%. Use dictionary app (4mins). Turn off
3:24pm Turn on. 31%. Turn off
3:31pm Use of dictionary app (4mins), battery at 27%. Turn off
3:38pm Turn on. 23%. Turn off
4:07pm Turn on. 9%.
4:14pm Use dictionary app (5mins). 4%.

That's pretty much the extent of it. Hardly seems right. It's frustrating that I am constantly having to charge my phone. It drains at least twice a day, with such minimal use. Should I reset/restore? Whats the difference? And isn't that only a temporary solution anyway? There are no apple stores in my area, haven't called support either. But this certainly can't be normal, right? Any response is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Haven't charged it since yesterday afternoon. Battery's been pretty good, guess I finally broke it in?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359176819.198190.jpg

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Hello, all! I'm new to this forum, and need your opinions/perspectives/advice! Ive had my 16g iphone 5 since early Dec. 2012. Been running io6 since early Jan 2013. My battery life is awful. Not sure if its io6 related, but my inclination is yes. These are the measures I've taken in attempts to improve performance: no wi-fi, no siri, no fetch, no push, no location service, no LTE, screen @20%, and I always clean multi-tasking tray. Cycled battery 3 times in 3 weeks. 3G.

So taking these things in consideration, here is a breakdown of my last cycle:

5:55am Unplugged from charger, battery at 100%. Turned phone on, killed all apps, turned phone off. Went to sleep.
12:04pm Wake up, turn phone on. 54%. (Huh?) Turn off. Sleep.
2:34pm Wake up, turn on. 54%. (Confusing?) Snap this pic. Turn off.

[url=http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5278/img1206.png]Image[/URL]

2:44pm Send 3 texts, receive 2. Same person. Turn off.
2:52pm Battery at 45%.
2:59pm Use Instagram and Facebook (6mins). Kill apps. 40%. Turn off
3:11pm Turn on. 36%. Use dictionary app (4mins). Turn off
3:24pm Turn on. 31%. Turn off
3:31pm Use of dictionary app (4mins), battery at 27%. Turn off
3:38pm Turn on. 23%. Turn off
4:07pm Turn on. 9%.
4:14pm Use dictionary app (5mins). 4%.

That's pretty much the extent of it. Hardly seems right. It's frustrating that I am constantly having to charge my phone. It drains at least twice a day, with such minimal use. Should I reset/restore? Whats the difference? And isn't that only a temporary solution anyway? There are no apple stores in my area, haven't called support either. But this certainly can't be normal, right? Any response is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You mean iOS 6.0.2? Because iOS 6 came with the iPhone 5... So it's not possible that you were running iOS 6 since January... It would've been December.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Not legit results. Look at bottom of the screenshot, you've plugged your phone in and charged it back up some.

No I haven't.

----------

Not legit results. Look at bottom of the screenshot, you've plugged your phone in and charged it back up some.

There have been many people who have got about the same as I have. I'm tired of you guys always trying to prove someone wrong over something as little as battery usage. Check the rest of the thread and you'll see I'm not the only one who's gotten great battery life.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Yes you did charge it. Otherwise the iPhone wouldn't show that. How much did you charge it?

By the way, plugging it into iTunes will charge it.

Last edited:

latormenta

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2012
iPhone 5
Brightness at about 1/3 with auto brightness on.
Fair amount of web browsing, social networking, music playing for half of the time.

Went to bed with it at 89%, woke up at 86%.
I'm pleased.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 76

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
21b6cmf.png

All settings default since day 1, except for bluetooth with I turned off. 3G/Wifi/Auto Brightness/iCloud etc all default. Even the wallpaper is default.

Note, I don't have 4G with my carrier.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
I used to get 6-7 hours usage and 15 hours standby on good days when I was in Toronto and using LTE.
Just moved to Dubai and no LTE, so I am on 3G but my iPhone battery has dropped dramatically. Doing the same things as before, but now I get 4 hours usage, 7-8hours standby.
It is terrible, don't know what to do. I have cycled it. Just upgraded to 6.1, been on 6.0 since the phone was released.
Any ideas? I turned off some location services, brightness is 1/3 or below.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.