Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
"When asked on whether or not she needed paid writers for her witty comebacks, Siri had no comment"

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
One thing I would like them to add is contextual awareness. If I am browsing looking at a photo, it would be really helpful to be able to say "email this photo to John" and have Siri do just that. I feel it's not integrated into the system enough and it feels like a assistant in training.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
My government should stop giving money to poor people in x country because we have people here who are poor!

Governments can support international development while working on domestic poverty

Can they?

Here in the UK, Millions of £ are being cut from budgets for councils. Free bus passes, winter fuel allowances are all ripe for curtailing, while at the same time the UK Government is sending hundreds of millions of £ a year for overseas aid.

I might be stupid, but to me it seems that if we didn't send all this money away to people who mostly never appreciate it, it would help here at home for some of the people that paid in all their lives and are now being shafted.

I don't know what utopian world you live in, but it sounds nice. There must be plenty of everything to go round and people want for nothing.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Money well spent :rolleyes:

How about fix the most basic cockups first?

Temperature here is currently -3 CELSIUS. If I ask Siri what the temperature is in Fahrenheit it just repeats the 'witty' Celsius temperature by saying "Brr! its -3 outside.".

Basic little things like this really shouldn't take a few seconds to fix.

http://www.mcelhearn.com/2012/09/20/why-wont-siri-tell-me-the-temperature-in-centigrade/

On the iPhone, set your Weather app to C or F. Siri will respond in those units. On the iPad, it's hidden away in the Clock app. C or F. Go figure.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Can they?

Here in the UK, Millions of £ are being cut from budgets for councils. Free bus passes, winter fuel allowances are all ripe for curtailing, while at the same time the UK Government is sending hundreds of millions of £ a year for overseas aid.

I might be stupid, but to me it seems that if we didn't send all this money away to people who mostly never appreciate it, it would help here at home for some of the people that paid in all their lives and are now being shafted.

I don't know what utopian world you live in, but it sounds nice. There must be plenty of everything to go round and people want for nothing.

Actually, you are in a serious recession, with deflation, brought about by government austerity in response to a deflationary crisis. It doesn't work, huh? No. It doesn't. What you (and we) have is a jobs deficit. Government spending (in the short run) for JOBS. You'll find the deficits just melting away once unemployment is down. THEN, when the economy is recovering, cut.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
What I would love is a voice expansion pack so you could change the voice to Yoda like the Garmin Navigation. Yoda is just an example. It would be fun if they got creative with it. <opinion>Siri's voice is annoying.</opinion>

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
Can they?

I agree with you ... and, as the saying goes, "charity starts at home"

Problem is, if governments decide to spend more of it's own money to help it's own, then the people who benifit are the friends of the government, not necessarily the people ruled by that govenment.

It's a fine line, and a balancing act... and... you can't please all of the people all of the time.... THAT'S what the real problem is.

kayno

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Phelps Land
Why?

Compared to everyone else in the consumer electronics space Apple is THE innovator. No one, not a single company, has changed the landscape of consumer technology one tenth as much as Apple has, even if you only count the last decade, but you don't hear people saying that Samsung has to invent and innovate to stay relevant or that Nokia needs a big new paradigm shifting product to survive - they do but no one says it. Even if we accept that, since the iPad, Apple has not really pushed out a big, game changing product, who exactly has? Samsung with their Phablet? Google's G+? If Apple has been slow for the last three years, then by that standards nobody has innovated at all since about 2002! Surface? It's like an iPad. Chromebooks? Basic thin client devices - been around for years.

Right now Apple has three big lines. iPhone, iPad and MacBook (Pro/Air) - two of which have redefined entire technology categories in a little over five years. All three are growing rapidly, especially the iPhone and iPad which are seeing YoY growth of 35-50%. Apple has just launched the iPad mini which is likely to outsell the original iPad and add millions of units per quarter to Apple's sell-through. If Apple did nothing but keep improving these three lines for the next five years they would remain the most profitable company in technology without a sniff of doubt. They don't NEED to do anything to stay relevant other than keep pushing these products harder. Yes, sooner or later a new product will be needed but that statement is true for ANYONE in ANY INDUSTRY.

They will do other things, of course. It's probable that they'll be moving into a new product category within the next 18 months. It's also likely that they will expand the iPhone line in some way and new services will be launched to bolster their ecosystem. But even if they didn't they would stay relevant for years to come. Apple has the world's most popular smartphone and the world's most popular tablet range. Apple has the world's largest and most popular App Store and is dominant in online music distribution. Apple has a big chunk of video too, not to mention being the world's leading mobile games platform. Apple currently sits atop the pile in no less than five product/service categories in terms of profit, scope, size and influence.

EDIT - just wanted to add that spending time on presentation is not gimmicky in the slightest and that's what Siri's "personality" is - presentation. You don't, I assume, consider spending time on the look and feel of a product a waste, do you? How Siri responds, the jokes and quips that make him/her feel more like a real person, are a part of the product and one of the reasons that Siri is the only voice assistant that anyone who doesn't use one can name. If making the product more fun to use encourages people to have a go then the time spent on it is in no way a waste.

Would have said it better if I could, but I cant, so I won't..

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Why not spend time and money on innovation instead of gimmicks? Siri itself isn't a gimmick, but trying to expand its 'witty' personality is. Market analysts (and I don't mean DigiTimes...) are saying almost daily that Apple is starting to lack in innovation and has fallen into an iterative rut of just applying minor tweaks to each of their product lines
Well, Apple has enough resource to do both and more.

To stay ahead of the curve, Siri needs to (1) innovate, (2) improve performance (both response speed and accuracy), and (3) become more fun.

Speaking of innovation, I read Ben Brook's "More Data Detector Please" blog post last night. He proposes integrating Siri to voice calls, where Siri can listen in to detect and make a note of things like appointments, phone numbers, addresses, etc. And at the end of the call, I can review the summary to confirm individual actions.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
...a big push into the living room is by no means beyond them.

Beyond that, I don't know. We'll have to wait and see.

A watch would be interesting, a camera unlikely, a better set-top box really good although the whole idea of forcing everyone in your house to watch your apps instead of their favorite shows...

The biggest of big things would be to purchase or start a satellite network and/or become a broadband provider. Talk about industries that are popular and even necessary, but suck in so many ways. And not just a walled garden, but a walled universe...

nervouk

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2002
tokyo
Siri has witty responses? I wouldn't know, all she ever says to me is:

"I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by _____, would you like me to search for it on the web?", or

"I'm sorry, I can only search for businesses located in the United States."

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Why is Apple so intent on turning Siri into a big joke? Make it more functional and faster and stop wasting time on this garbage.

Well, to be honest “a big joke” is all Siri is really good for. And Apple must know that. I mean, how many people can seriously say that they use Siri for functional tasks on a regular basis?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Nor normally so cynical with respect to Apple but perhaps they could hire some backend engineers to make Siri respond faster? Google Voice takes less than a second most of the time. Siri takes 2-3 seconds just to recognise your voice.

Well one thing is lets be blunt Apple is playing it cheap on processing power for siri. Compared to google that will start transmitting your voice right off as it is recording. This gives Google servers a head start at translating what you want. Another thing I believe Google is doing is using predictive algorathuims to start perfecting data on its back side while it is still translating what you said. This means the turn around time from when you say your last word is quicker because a lot more work as been done ahead of time. Draw back is when they (google) guesses wrong they have to double up on getting everything. Also means they might be using more process running multiple guesses at the same time.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Make it more functional and faster and stop wasting time on this garbage.

I thought perhaps I was the only one who didn't need Siri to be cute, or my friend. It's a piece of software, and I don't need, or want, it to be human-like, just to be able to understand a simple command like "Cancel timer" without doing something useless like re-setting the timer to the original setting instead of canceling the timer, as I asked.

I'm not interested in Siri be more humanoid, rather more accurate and effective. I don't need to pretend Siri is human, just a useful part of an electronic appliance.

Last edited:

zosokm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The expectations from Apple are very high . Yet if you look at this list of innovations objectively- they have 4 major contributions in the last 20 years. The original apple computer with the GUI and mouse in the 1980s (taken from Xerox but made main stream by apple), the ipod in 2001, the iphone in 2007 and the ipad in 2010. Smaller but significant changes are itunes and the macbook air (the ultrabook concept) and the app store .

It is impossible for any company to keep coming up with "innovation" every 2 years. However , the expectations from apple are very high because the came up with the iphone and the ipad in rapid succession within a span of 3 years when the competition was taken by surprise. The sad demise of Steve Jobs has lead people to believe that Apple is on the way down. However , even if Jobs were alive, I dont think that he could push out an "innovation" every year.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
The expectations from Apple are very high . Yet if you look at this list of innovations objectively- they have 4 major contributions in the last 20 years. The original apple computer with the GUI and mouse in the 1980s (taken from Xerox but made main stream by apple), the ipod in 2001, the iphone in 2007 and the ipad in 2010. Smaller but significant changes are itunes and the macbook air (the ultrabook concept) and the app store .

It is impossible for any company to keep coming up with "innovation" every 2 years. However , the expectations from apple are very high because the came up with the iphone and the ipad in rapid succession within a span of 3 years when the competition was taken by surprise. The sad demise of Steve Jobs has lead people to believe that Apple is on the way down. However , even if Jobs were alive, I dont think that he could push out an "innovation" every year.

They have spoiled us to the point that many are now expecting miracles from APPLE. A tough act for them to keep up. Call me an optimist, but there are so many thousands of very talented people working at APPLE, that I believe many more great things will be coming our way, given time. :apple::)

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Macrumors forums are starting to resemble Crackberry forums in the sense that over 50% of the comments are now negative with disappointment, doom, gloom, and how Apples future is downhill from here.

Man I hope they get the next phone right. I hate the atmosphere here now.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
Money well spent :rolleyes:

How about fix the most basic cockups first?

Temperature here is currently -3 CELSIUS. If I ask Siri what the temperature is in Fahrenheit it just repeats the 'witty' Celsius temperature by saying "Brr! its -3 outside.".

Basic little things like this really shouldn't take a few seconds to fix.

Fahrenheit is ****ing stupid and you all should start using Celsius like the rest of the world does. It's much easier and you won't have such problems (which is HUGE) ... not it isn't, just kiddin'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.