Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
I've heard that it uses slow processor but when I played around with it in apple store I didn't feel it was slow in any way .

Has anyone felt it being slow at particular app?

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
It is starting to lag behind in intense gaming, and it is a tad slower in general usage than the newer touch, but it's really not all that bad. My fear would be its longevity when it comes to iOS updates and how much longer it will be getting them.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
I guess you could just have the old version of the apps saved on the computer so u could still use them

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Don't waste your money on one now. If you don't wanna spend the 300 on the 5th gen then buy a nexus 7 or something.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Don't waste your money on one now. If you don't wanna spend the 300 on the 5th gen then buy a nexus 7 or something.

Probably it's this. Depends on what you use it for though. If only music, the 4th gen is fine. Heavy gaming and video, go get the 5th gen.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Why not just buy an iPad Mini? Nexus 7 is cheap plastic. Noone wants cheap plastic feel.

Have you used one? The nexus 7 is a fantastic bit of kit but I wouldnt recommend one as a replacement for an ipod touch, the size difference would be a problem for a start.
Anyway - Nexus 7 is a really nice device with a brilliant build quality. Go use one for a few days and you will see.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
iPod touch 4th generation is not actually that slow. It packs a single core 800Mhz Processor W/ 215MBs of RAM. Compared to iPod touch 5th generation. That has the internals of the iPhone 4S. Dual core 800Mhz processor, but has 512MBs of RAM compared to the 215.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Why not just buy an iPad Mini? Nexus 7 is cheap plastic. Noone wants cheap plastic feel.

Actually, Ipad mini has a cheaper feel. Easily scratches and color coming off on black/slate. Edges are easily chipped and the glass is half as thick which means its a lot easier to break. It even bend once you push it too hard. Nexus is alot more durable with a better screen.

----------

Probably it's this. Depends on what you use it for though. If only music, the 4th gen is fine. Heavy gaming and video, go get the 5th gen.

I think 4th gen can still do more than just music or video. Lighing gaming is fine. Angry bird, temple run, should run as smooth. Even Infinity Blade still doing fine but would take like longer time to load up. IPT5 is much better in camera and speed. The materials i think is worst.

And for other comment, ram is 256mb same as 3gs

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
i was very happy with my ipod touch 4 performance until January 17th 2013.

that day i learnt it has become outdated, since it really struggles to play Temple Run 2 I had to go back to Temple Run. The lag makes it unplayable.

But I've read reports that ipod touch 5 owners are complaining of the same thing....

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
I was using WeekCal and Numbers both opened slowly. Numbers had to think about things while I was using it. Slower if I was also playing music.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Doing simple tasks on it compared to my 4S or iPad 3 feel slow. I'd imagine it would feel slower compared to the latest generation of iOS devices.

Opening a game, then loading emails, clicking a URL on the email to open Safari, then pressing a video button, then changing the song ... the process is slow and laggy. Much faster on a newer device with little to no waiting time when switching apps. The iPod tch 4 is really just slow at multitasking.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Doing simple tasks on it compared to my 4S or iPad 3 feel slow. I'd imagine it would feel slower compared to the latest generation of iOS devices.

Opening a game, then loading emails, clicking a URL on the email to open Safari, then pressing a video button, then changing the song ... the process is slow and laggy. Much faster on a newer device with little to no waiting time when switching apps. The iPod tch 4 is really just slow at multitasking.

Agree. That's why I don't do anything on it except listen to music. Everything else lags abit. Although I have no problem playing fruit ninja, PvZ and Temple Run 1.

Heavy gaming and lag-free applications, get the Touch 5.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

It never ceases to amaze me how many times people will recommend a 7" tablet in response to inquiries about the iPod Touch.

They are two different form factors and serve 2 different purposes. Without knowing the reasons/purposes that the OP wants an iPod Touch, suggesting a 7" tablet makes as much sense as recommending a macbook pro. :rolleyes:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Actually, Ipad mini has a cheaper feel. Easily scratches and color coming off on black/slate. Edges are easily chipped and the glass is half as thick which means its a lot easier to break.
Really? I've had an iPad Mini since they came out and I haven't noticed an issue with scratching and chipping and colors being off on the slate back.

Glass thickness alone doesn't determine its durability. The composition of the glass also determines that. And we do know Corning has been improving the Gorilla glass over time.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I suppose it is alright. I mean, if you start comparing it to the newer generation models it's quite slow but in general usage iOS 6 is quite 'light' to handle.

You should, however, not forget that the iPhone 5 and 9.7" iPad with Retina display already have an A6 chip. So for my feeling, I'd at least want an A5 chip.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I wouldn't use it for anything other than music. The 256mb of ram is a huge limiting factor these days. Youre only good for a couple of tabs web browsing before pages have to start re loading. Switching between apps is stuttery. It doesn't run a lot of apps very well. Overall, its a bad investment these days. Especially for $200.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.