Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

00bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Iv been tempted to buy an Apple TV a few times now and just haven't done it yet. Id like to ask a few questions first. Here is my current situation.

I have a tv room, where we normally watch movies as a family. This is also room where I watch my "guy" movies.

In our living room, is where we usually flop down and watch tv shows, news, etc.. My daughter usually watches cartoons in here. This is where my wife usually watches her "girl" movies, etc..

My son has a tv in his room, he watches his movies, video games, etc..

My daughter has a tv in her room, but is only 3 and rarely watches anything in there.

What I was hoping for was to get an Apple TV and have it play on multiple tvs. I dont want to buy 4 apple tvs. That seems ridiculous. So my question is, is there a way have a single apple tv work on more than one tv?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Iv been tempted to buy an Apple TV a few times now and just haven't done it yet. Id like to ask a few questions first. Here is my current situation.

I have a tv room, where we normally watch movies as a family. This is also room where I watch my "guy" movies.

In our living room, is where we usually flop down and watch tv shows, news, etc.. My daughter usually watches cartoons in here. This is where my wife usually watches her "girl" movies, etc..

My daughter has a tv in her room, but is only 3 and rarely watches anything in there.

What I was hoping for was to get an Apple TV and have it play on multiple tvs. I dont want to buy 4 apple tvs. That seems ridiculous. So my question is, is there a way have a single apple tv work on more than one tv?
No, you'd need one per TV... just like a DVD player, Tivo, Playstation 3, etc...

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007

No

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
It would work on multiple tv's......

if you don't mind moving it each time.

As the others have said, it is similar to a DVD player, game console, etc. It is a device to connect to a single tv to allow you to watch movie files from the iTunes store. You can either store them on the AppleTV or stream them from a computer.

00bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
ok, well thats that I guess. I just thought there may be some way to network it. I have 4 computers at my house. Had another thought...

I was playing around last night with MactheRipper and Toast. I ripped Bolt (we own it btw). Then was going to use Toast to put it in a file and store on our timecapsule. Thought my son could watch it in his room on his computer.

What format do I need to do in toast so that it stays at full resolution? I saw how I can do for ipod, psp, etc... but what if I want to watch full screen on a computer?

Atrael

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
I'd suggest using Handbrake to encode it and choosing the AppleTV preset.

I do want to point out that it is technically possible to set up an AppleTV to play on multiple TV's. I saw another poster describe his set up. Basically he uses two devices ( an AppleTV converter from http://www.svideo.com and this product http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=182-720 ) to basically convert the componant out from the AppleTV to Coax, then push that through a Cat5 cable to the various end locations then convert back. It's not an easy set up, and you wouldn't be able to watch different shows on each TV, but it is technically possible.

Jorad

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2003
You should be able to use something like a matrix switcher to get your desired results. Take a look at the gefen 4x4 HDMI cat 5 Matrix. They claim to be HDCP compliant. Add an IR blaster and you can distribute and control video to anywhere and from anywhere in your home.

Just to warn you about the sticker-shock, the matrix switcher is about $4000 , but I'm sure there are cheaper solutions out there (like getting an Apple TV for every set).

realityking

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
You have to realize that the AppleTV is already the device that accepts the video transported trough the network.
You can easily have a central server with all your iTunes purchases and DVD rips (I also recommend HandBrake) and serve it to 4 AppleTVs.

Any solution with one AppleTV will limit you to watching the same thing on all screens - and is likely more expansive that buying 4 AppleTVs.

richardhunt

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
If all the TV's have component inputs, just buy a component distribution amplifier for around $110 for 4 outputs. Then you run 5 sets of rca component wires to all the TV's and you have Apple TV in every room. The only caveat is that only 1 program will play in all TV's. If you want to view independently of each other you would need more Apple TV's. But depending on your wiring situation, you could wire all 4 TV's for about the price of a 2nd Apple TV. ($100 for the distribution amp, and about $40 each for 3 sets of 100ft cables, plus about $10 for a 6 footer)

ixtractm

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
Will an additional apple TV count as another device?

The easiest solution seems to be buying another apple TV unit. My question now is, will you have to deactivate another device in itunes to make room for another apple TV? I believe you are only allowed 5 devices on an itunes account.

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
you apple id allows up to 5 computers to be associated with you apple id. no limit to the number of devices. we have 4 iphones, 3 apple tv's and two ipads.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
my apple tv - 2 of them - were never registered under my account.

i think u can have limitless number of ATV (until they start to cap it)

----------

you apple id allows up to 5 computers to be associated with you apple id. no limit to the number of devices. we have 4 iphones, 3 apple tv's and two ipads.

there is a limit for devices accessing iCloud contents - i believe 10 devices

----------

The easiest solution seems to be buying another apple TV unit. My question now is, will you have to deactivate another device in itunes to make room for another apple TV? I believe you are only allowed 5 devices on an itunes account.

only 5 computers and 10 devices.
ATV: I think there's a loophole for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.