Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
I was just curious if you should do it every so often just as kind of a maintenance?

I've had my 5 for about 3 months. It works great and I've never done one so I was just curious.

Thanks.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I was just curious if you should do it every so often just as kind of a maintenance?

I've had my 5 for about 3 months. It works great and I've never done one so I was just curious.

Thanks.

i do it all the time... these devices are tested for wear so you shouldn't worry about it.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
A hard reset would beautiful used if you believe your iPhone is not functioning/IOS seems unbalanced. Since your iPhone is working great so far in the 3 months, no need.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
There's nothing a hard reset will do for you unless your phone starts acting up and freezes. Even if it starts acting up but is not frozen, a normal restart would do it.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
How often do you or should you pull the power cable from your computer while it's up and running?

A hard reset should be a last resort. Otherwise, simply power down and back up again. There's no need to get drastic unless circumstances call for it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Thanks.

I only do that if the phone starts acting goofy. For me that rarely happens, so maybe a couple of times per year I think.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
How often do you or should you pull the power cable from your computer while it's up and running?

A hard reset should be a last resort. Otherwise, simply power down and back up again. There's no need to get drastic unless circumstances call for it.

Ehh...it's easier and quicker to do a hard reset than power down/power up. Hold sleep button..wait for slider...slide slider...wait for shut down..hold sleep button to turn back on.

Or just hold sleep/home button for a few seconds and it's done

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Ehh...it's easier and quicker to do a hard reset than power down/power up. Hold sleep button..wait for slider...slide slider...wait for shut down..hold sleep button to turn back on.

Or just hold sleep/home button for a few seconds and it's done

Of course. Just like it's quicker to pull the plug from the wall when you want to turn your computer off rather than waiting for a proper shutdown. But it's still a bad idea.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Of course. Just like it's quicker to pull the plug from the wall when you want to turn your computer off rather than waiting for a proper shutdown. But it's still a bad idea.

Bad idea? It's recommended if you're having issues, and a must if the phone is frozen...so why would it be bad to do at any other time?

That's a pretty terrible comparison.

wiammaren

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
There's nothing a hard reset will do for you unless your phone starts acting up and freezes.
a15

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Occasionally I run into a bug where the phone gets stuck on the "hanging up" screen after a phone call (usually with the same person; pretty sure there's something weird going on there). I do a hard reset whenever that happens.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
On the iOS devices I do have, I have yet to need to do a hard reset. However, I found that turning the devices off and back on after a software upgrade helped a lot with battery life.

I'm not sure how much difference there actually is between a hard reset and turning a device off and back on in the case of iOS.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Bad idea? It's recommended if you're having issues, and a must if the phone is frozen...so why would it be bad to do at any other time?

That's a pretty terrible comparison.

Pretty terrible? Fine, keep doing hard reboots. I'll let my Computer Science degree and 20+ years working as a programmer be my guide. But knock yourself out doing those hard reboots! :rolleyes:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Nope, it shouldn't be done as maintenance.

Do it when you need to, like if something happens and your iPad isn't responding. But doing it just to do it isn't helping anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.