Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Can anyone confirm if dust gets trapped around the edges with this case?

I've been using one since around launch and I haven't really noticed any dust getting trapped in the edges. If it does, a little canned air would clear it out.

BearsFan34

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Chicagoland, IL
Just bought my CoverBuddy on eBay a few minutes ago. Got it for $14.00 shipped through best offer on my first try. Wish I tried to offer less so anyone looking for a great deal on these this seller will go as low as $14 shipped possibly less. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170965715691

I did this as well, looks like the same vendor, this past Sunday. It's Friday now, and it still hasn't shipped yet. I got mine for $14.50 US, and can't figure out why it's taking so dang long to ship it out. I have a Product [R]ed smartcover & am anxious to see how they look together.

Guess that's what I get for using "make an offer" and free shipping...a lesson in patience.

lbhskier37

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
WARNING! The red is not even close to the color of the Smart Cover! I see that it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I read that too late. Do not get the red if u have a red Smart Cover. I will be returning mine and looking for a different back case. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359234230.972802.jpg

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
WARNING! The red is not even close to the color of the Smart Cover! I see that it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I read that too late. Do not get the red if u have a red Smart Cover. I will be returning mine and looking for a different back case. View attachment 392714

That's weird since the dark gray matches the Smart Cover so well. You'd think SwitchEasy would have had a red Smart Cover to compare their case with.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
WARNING! The red is not even close to the color of the Smart Cover! I see that it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I read that too late. Do not get the red if u have a red Smart Cover. I will be returning mine and looking for a different back case. View attachment 392714

There is a previous post in this thread with the grey Cover Buddy and red smart cover that looks pretty nice.

It's a shame the reds are that much different.

steve

Last edited:

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Received my Cover Buddy from a member here last night. The fit is great on the Mini. It gives a nice grippy feeling without feeling sticky. I may have to replace my Belkin Snap Shield on my 3rd gen iPad with one of these.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Got my dark gray coverbuddy. I like the case overall but it's extremely hard to press the buttons.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Got my dark gray coverbuddy. I like the case overall but it's extremely hard to press the buttons.

Be glad you got the matte version. The clear and black were nearly impossible to press. Also like Roy Hobbs said, they'll get easier.

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
I want to get this to fit my smart cover, but what difference would it make exactly? Is this only meant to protect the back? In that case, wouldn't it be easier and less bulky to put a skin on the back? Or am I missing something about this case... I like it though. I just want to know what the point of it is.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I want to get this to fit my smart cover, but what difference would it make exactly? Is this only meant to protect the back? In that case, wouldn't it be easier and less bulky to put a skin on the back? Or am I missing something about this case... I like it though. I just want to know what the point of it is.

I find the skins offer very little drop protection. The SwitchEasy at least gives a little protection for minor drops. Plus, there are no seams to get caught on things in your bag to start peeling off...

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
I find the skins offer very little drop protection. The SwitchEasy at least gives a little protection for minor drops. Plus, there are no seams to get caught on things in your bag to start peeling off...

Oh so it is used more for drop protection? I had a skin on my big iPad but I'm not sure if I'll put one for my mini... I have never dropped my iPad (unlike my iPhone) and I feel like it would lose too much appeal to put a back case on it. Or are people getting this case to make it stand upright in landscape mode?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Oh so it is used more for drop protection? I had a skin on my big iPad but I'm not sure if I'll put one for my mini... I have never dropped my iPad (unlike my iPhone) and I feel like it would lose too much appeal to put a back case on it. Or are people getting this case to make it stand upright in landscape mode?

The CoverBuddy alone can't make the iPad stand in landscape. You'll need a Smart Cover if you want to do that which of course the Smart Cover can do without a CoverBuddy.

If you want back protection, CoverBuddys are very nice. If I wasn't going naked, I'd be using one right now. (For the record, I've owned quite a few CoverBuddys and all were very good.)

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
The CoverBuddy alone can't make the iPad stand in landscape. You'll need a Smart Cover if you want to do that which of course the Smart Cover can do without a CoverBuddy.

If you want back protection, CoverBuddys are very nice. If I wasn't going naked, I'd be using one right now. (For the record, I've owned quite a few CoverBuddys and all were very good.)

What made you suddenly not care about protecting the back from scratches?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
What made you suddenly not care about protecting the back from scratches?

A few things. First, I realized I've never put on a case on any of my iPads in the past. Second, I looked at my black iPhone 5 and it still looks great and I've had it since launch. Third, I really enjoy using the mini without a case. It feels so good in the hands due to its thinness that I just can't put a case on it. I'm careful with it as I don't want to scratch it, but if it happens, it happens.

Why have a case on something to keep it from scratching if you won't ever see it due to always having a case on it? Just knowing that it isn't scratched? Personally I'd rather use the device "the way it was meant to" rather than worrying about scratches. My mini is covered with insurance in the event I drop or spill something on it, so I might as well go without a case.

I now use it with only a Smart Cover so it has a stand if need be. If I'm taking the mini somewhere, I throw it in a Nedrelow Sleeve.

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
A few things. First, I realized I've never put on a case on any of my iPads in the past. Second, I looked at my black iPhone 5 and it still looks great and I've had it since launch. Third, I really enjoy using the mini without a case. It feels so good in the hands due to its thinness that I just can't put a case on it. I'm careful with it as I don't want to scratch it, but if it happens, it happens.

Why have a case on something to keep it from scratching if you won't ever see it due to always having a case on it? Just knowing that it isn't scratched? Personally I'd rather use the device "the way it was meant to" rather than worrying about scratches. My mini is covered with insurance in the event I drop or spill something on it, so I might as well go without a case.

I now use it with only a Smart Cover so it has a stand if need be. If I'm taking the mini somewhere, I throw it in a Nedrelow Sleeve.

What about for your iPhone - do you use a case or bumper?

I also might skip on the case for the back, but why not go with a matte skin like Ghost Armor? Would you be opposed to that as well?

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah I hear ya that's how I felt at first. I have a black 5 and don't keep a case on it about half the time and it hasn't worn at all. I got a grey Smart Cover with my mini and have since picked up the grey cover buddy. I love the feeling of the mini without it but having it on doesn't add too much thickness or weight. I just feel better about the back being covered.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
What about for your iPhone - do you use a case or bumper?

I also might skip on the case for the back, but why not go with a matte skin like Ghost Armor? Would you be opposed to that as well?

Nope, nothing on the iPhone. I thought about Ghost Armor and I even had an iCarbon skin on my iPad mini, but honestly I don't trust the Ghost Armor people to do a perfect job. Sure, you can get a refund from Ghost Armor if you aren't happy, but at this time I'm okay with not using one. I may try GA one of these days, but not anytime real soon.

Yeah I hear ya that's how I felt at first. I have a black 5 and don't keep a case on it about half the time and it hasn't worn at all. I got a grey Smart Cover with my mini and have since picked up the grey cover buddy. I love the feeling of the mini without it but having it on doesn't add too much thickness or weight. I just feel better about the back being covered.

There's nothing wrong with that. If anything, keeping it scratch free will help with resale if/when you decide to sell it.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Damn. Today my mini fell off the kitchen counter onto the linoleum floor. My CoverBuddy didn't survive that minor fall. One corner snapped off and the opposite corner cracked. The crack I can understand because it was at the power button, but the part that snapped off? I'm a little shocked. Wonder if anyone else makes a stronger version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.