Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ha0rex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Hello Everybody,
I've a problem with my 2007 Mac Mini.

If I try to start it, the led turns on, I hear the noise of the HDD and the Superdrive, but no video, and no chime. I should think, it's a motherboard issue, but I'm persistent, so I'm trying to force-shutdown, then power on again. After about 15-20 times I'm doing this, randomly once I hear the chime, and voila, there is video on my monitor.

Usually it boots normally, sometimes it panics, like:
TLB invalidation IPI timeout: " "CPU(s) failed to respond to interrupts, unresponsive CPU bitmap: 0x2, NMIPI acks: orig: 0x0...
Status bits:
Processor context corrupt
Error enabled
Uncorrected error

OR:
Something like:
Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPoerManagement(195.0)...

OR something like this.

But if I restart it again, it works like a charm. I can now shut down, and start it again without no issue, and it works fine, I tried to test my RAM, HDD, and stress-test the cpu with "yes >/dev/null" in two terminal tabs, because it's T7200 has 2 cores. Works fine!

BUT:
If I left it turned off for a while, about 30 minutes, or more, I can't turn it on again. I have to turn on-off-on-off-on... again, while once it starts, and works perfect again.

I already tried to reset SMC, PRAM, tried with other RAM modules, other HDD, without SuperDrive, without AirPort, without Bluetooth. The only thing I can't change in it is the CPU, I don't have an other T7200 (or T7400, T7600).

I'm using it as a home fileserver, with 1TB HDD, works very well near my Air, with 128GB SSD. So it has uptime's like hundreds of days, I can do this 10 minutes procedure 2 times a year, but I know it's not normal, so I'm looking for a solution.

Anybody has an idea?

Thank you!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Have you ever thought about reinstalling, or if you have a bootable backup, boot up from that one.

If this does not help it might be HW, like it works when it is warm/hot but not when it is cold, it could be because of cracks in the solder for instance.

ha0rex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Yes, tried to reinstall it, but it doesn't work.

I already thinking about the soldering thing, so I tried to power it on, and wait while its been hot enough, turn it off, and back on, but doesn't work.

The only workaround is to turn on-off-on-off-on-off continuously. :(

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yes, tried to reinstall it, but it doesn't work.

I already thinking about the soldering thing, so I tried to power it on, and wait while its been hot enough, turn it off, and back on, but doesn't work.

The only workaround is to turn on-off-on-off-on-off continuously. :(

What about a bootable backup, does it startup from an external without problems?
If you don't have a bootable HD but do have a USB stick (min. 8 GB) you could install OS X on there and see if you boot from it if it's still there.

If it is then I am afraid it is Hardware.

ha0rex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
I dont't think it would work from an external hdd or pen drive, because there is no chime on startup. :( What You think?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do the Mini's have a motherboard "PRAM" battery?

Some years back, there were issues with Macs not starting because the motheboard PRAM battery was low or completely discharged.

ha0rex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
I already tried with another one, from my old laptop, but tomorrow I'm going to buy a new one, and give a try. Thank you! :)

ha0rex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
I just found the same battery in my apple tv's remote, and gave it a try, but it seems with no success. :(

It seem, that it depends on the time, I leave it turned off. If leave it for 10 minutes, I have to do the on-off procedure 3 times, if I leave it for an hour, I have to do it 15 times, to boot up normally.

I have no idea. :(

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

In his first Post he says in BOLD

I already tried to reset SMC, PRAM, tried with other RAM modules, other HDD, without SuperDrive, without AirPort, without Bluetooth. The only thing I can't change in it is the CPU, I don't have an other T7200 (or T7400, T7600).

I'm using it as a home fileserver, with 1TB HDD, works very well near my Air, with 128GB SSD. So it has uptime's like hundreds of days, I can do this 10 minutes procedure 2 times a year, but I know it's not normal, so I'm looking for a solution.

Anybody has an idea?

Thank you!

ha0rex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
I haven't asked this before but can you post a panic report, it says quite a bit, might find the problem in it.

I'm trying to find it, but I can't. Where should it be? The /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder is empty.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I'm trying to find it, but I can't. Where should it be? The /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder is empty.

In the Main Library in my case /Library/Logs/PanicReporter

You could also try to see what your System report says.
In /private/var/log

Edit: Yours will probably not contain the last one since it happens at startup when the reporter is not active yet, but some things might show in the System Report.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 109

ha0rex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
I think, you're using 10.5, in Lion panic logs should be in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder, but it's empty in my case.

I'm looking at system.log files in /private/var/log, but nothing about that panics, I saw sometimes.

In /private/var/log

Edit: Yours will probably not contain the last one since it happens at startup when the reporter is not active yet, but some things might show in the System Report.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I think, you're using 10.5, in Lion panic logs should be in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder, but it's empty in my case.

I'm looking at system.log files in /private/var/log, but nothing about that panics, I saw sometimes.

It won't say it panics but you can see where it hangs and restarts.

And yes, you are right, I am on 10.5.

ha0rex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013

In /private/var/log

But here is a system log file's content, do You see anything?
http://pastebin.com/24wrmw4L

ha0rex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
There are lot more, but in separated files. :)

I tried to find a date, when I had problems with it. I'm not sure, because its on again now for days. Kernel panic occurs only sometimes, after a long on-off-on-off procedure. Nothing bad if I leave it ON, or if I turn it off just for a little while.

So yes, I think, we can't see anything about the problem in the log, because it's before it starts. If it starts booting, everything is fine, so nothing to write in logs.

here is my actual sysem log:
http://pastebin.com/DdE3fbqT

Nothing to see, but last entry is January 13, it's not been on since that date?

Also, mine is much more verbose, I can see everything from startup to shutdown, yours is garbage, you're sure it's the right one.;)

Just a snippet of mine:

Jan 12 21:00:55 Perry com.apple.loginwindow[22]: Shutdown NOW!
Jan 12 21:00:55 Perry com.apple.loginwindow[22]: System shutdown time has arrived^G^G
Jan 12 21:00:55 Perry mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-176.3 (Jun 17 2009 18:57:52)[21]: stopping
Jan 12 21:00:55 Perry /usr/sbin/kdcmond[10157]: dnssd_clientstub read_all(3) failed 0/28 0
Jan 12 21:00:55 Perry pppd[20296]: Connection terminated.
Jan 12 21:00:56 Perry /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/Resources/usbmuxd[14]: dnssd_clientstub read_all(10) failed 0/28 0
Jan 12 21:00:59 Perry krb5kdc[10159]: Interrupted system call - while selecting for network input(1)
Jan 12 21:00:59 Perry krb5kdc[10159]: Interrupted system call - signal_requests_network recieved
Jan 12 21:01:02 Perry krb5kdc[10159]: setsockopt(IPV6_V6ONLY,1) worked
Jan 12 21:01:02 Perry kernel[0]: HuaweiDataCardACMData::InitRingBuffer start
Jan 12 21:01:15: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Jan 12 21:01:15 Perry com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter[16]): Exit timeout elapsed (20 seconds). Killing.
Jan 12 21:01:15 Perry com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter[16]): Exited: Killed
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:57:01 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_PPC
Jan 12 21:01:49 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.bombich.ccc.scheduledtask.B18958B1-244B-42F9-B18A-9C61E80EA1CF): Unknown key for dictionary: cccTaskDict
Jan 12 21:01:49 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.bombich.ccc.scheduledtask.B18958B1-244B-42F9-B18A-9C61E80EA1CF): Unknown key: ServiceDescription
Jan 12 21:01:49 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.bombich.ccc.scheduledtask.B66BEA1F-A62E-4BBD-92FA-60C7EBD0AD00): Unknown key for dictionary: cccTaskDict
Jan 12 21:01:49 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.bombich.ccc.scheduledtask.B66BEA1F-A62E-4BBD-92FA-60C7EBD0AD00): Unknown key: ServiceDescription
Jan 12 21:01:49 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.RemoteDesktop.PrivilegeProxy): Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
Jan 12 21:01:49 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.usbmuxd): Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
Jan 12 21:01:49 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (org.ntp.ntpd): Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
Jan 12 21:01:59 localhost kextd[10]: 343 cached, 0 uncached personalities to catalog
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
Jan 12 21:02:01 localhost fseventsd[26]: bumping event counter to: 0x4ae14d (current 0x0) from log file '00000000004a0a7c'
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: vm_page_bootstrap: 253154 free pages and 8990 wired pages
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost rpc.statd[18]: statd.notify - no notifications needed
Jan 12 21:02:02 localhost bootlog[35]: BOOT_TIME: 1357999304 0
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: mig_table_max_displ = 79
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: 113 prelinked modules
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: Loading security extension com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: calling mpo_policy_init for TMSafetyNet
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: Security policy loaded: Safety net for Time Machine (TMSafetyNet)
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: Loading security extension com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: Loading security extension com.apple.security.seatbelt
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: calling mpo_policy_init for mb
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: Seatbelt MACF policy initialized
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: Security policy loaded: Seatbelt Policy (mb)
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: MAC Framework successfully initialized
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: using 5242 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: AirPort_Brcm43xx::probe: 0208e500, 0
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: TI 1510 rev 00
Jan 12 21:02:03 localhost kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) Apple ID 31 built-in now active, GUID 001124fffe413ce8; max speed s800.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
There are lot more, but in separated files. :)

I tried to find a date, when I had problems with it. I'm not sure, because its on again now for days. Kernel panic occurs only sometimes, after a long on-off-on-off procedure. Nothing bad if I leave it ON, or if I turn it off just for a little while.

So yes, I think, we can't see anything about the problem in the log, because it's before it starts. If it starts booting, everything is fine, so nothing to write in logs.

here is my actual sysem log:
http://pastebin.com/DdE3fbqT

Nothing to see either.

Most times the log folder in /private/var/logs also contains compressed old system log files like these,these are in my Logs folder)
/private/var/log/system.log.0.bz2
/private/var/log/system.log.1.bz2
/private/var/log/system.log.2.bz2
/private/var/log/system.log.3.bz2
/private/var/log/system.log.4.bz2
/private/var/log/system.log.5.bz2
/private/var/log/system.log.6.bz2
/private/var/log/system.log.7.bz2

If there are such files in yours there is a history in it, if you want to see it, drag those to the desktop, untar ( compressed file ) them and you can open them with TextEdit.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Hello Everybody,
I've a problem with my 2007 Mac Mini.

If I try to start it, the led turns on, I hear the noise of the HDD and the Superdrive, but no video, and no chime. I should think, it's a motherboard issue, but I'm persistent, so I'm trying to force-shutdown, then power on again. After about 15-20 times I'm doing this, randomly once I hear the chime, and voila, there is video on my monitor.

Usually it boots normally, sometimes it panics, like:
TLB invalidation IPI timeout: " "CPU(s) failed to respond to interrupts, unresponsive CPU bitmap: 0x2, NMIPI acks: orig: 0x0...
Status bits:
Processor context corrupt
Error enabled
Uncorrected error

OR:
Something like:
Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPoerManagement(195.0)...

OR something like this.

But if I restart it again, it works like a charm. I can now shut down, and start it again without no issue, and it works fine, I tried to test my RAM, HDD, and stress-test the cpu with "yes >/dev/null" in two terminal tabs, because it's T7200 has 2 cores. Works fine!

BUT:
If I left it turned off for a while, about 30 minutes, or more, I can't turn it on again. I have to turn on-off-on-off-on... again, while once it starts, and works perfect again.

Anybody has an idea?

Thank you!

To be honest, I would suspect a faulty PSU. A dodgy relay or capacitor can give intermittent powerups.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd like to offer something else to try. It may help, or have absolutely nothing to do with your problem.

Question:
Do you keep the Mini plugged directly into the wall, or into a power strip?

Suggestion:
If you keep it plugged into the wall, when you shut down, try pulling the plug out of the wall. Plug it back in the next time you turn it on. Any difference?

If you keep it plugged into a power strip, turn the power strip OFF after you shut down. Then, before you try to power up the Mini, reach down and flip the power strip ON. Any difference?

ha0rex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
I'd like to offer something else to try. It may help, or have absolutely nothing to do with your problem.

Question:
Do you keep the Mini plugged directly into the wall, or into a power strip?

Suggestion:
If you keep it plugged into the wall, when you shut down, try pulling the plug out of the wall. Plug it back in the next time you turn it on. Any difference?

If you keep it plugged into a power strip, turn the power strip OFF after you shut down. Then, before you try to power up the Mini, reach down and flip the power strip ON. Any difference?

I read some forums, and found a tip, to remove the powerstrip, if I have one, because that can make differences, or cause problems. I already tried it, but no luck. :(

I already tried to remove the power cord after shut it down, but everything is the same. :(

----------

I already tried to replace the outer PSU (the white box), but no luck, everything is the same. Maybe a bad capacitor on the motherboard cause the problem?

I had very similar issues with old, PC motherboards, long time ago.
In that case, I found humpy capacitors on the motherboard (unfortunately in mini, everything is SMD, so I wouldn't try this), that I successfully replaced, and one of that motherboards is still running fine.

Maybe I should take this unit, to a service station, maybe they gonna have an idea. :confused:

To be honest, I would suspect a faulty PSU. A dodgy relay or capacitor can give intermittent powerups.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
[/COLOR]I already tried to replace the outer PSU (the white box), but no luck, everything is the same. Maybe a bad capacitor on the motherboard cause the problem?

I had very similar issues with old, PC motherboards, long time ago.
In that case, I found humpy capacitors on the motherboard (unfortunately in mini, everything is SMD, so I wouldn't try this), that I successfully replaced, and one of that motherboards is still running fine.

Maybe I should take this unit, to a service station, maybe they gonna have an idea. :confused:

Yes, if it's not the PSU, then a fault on the motherboard seems most likely. Off to service, i guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.