Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
M-Audio are fantastic. Always bringing something out that makes you wanna use even MORE software :)

As far as I know it hasnt been released, although I havent researched that much as I dont use GarageBand. It should make GarageBand a much more pleasant experience for the people that use it though. I especially like the big chunky jog-wheel, the styling and thhe fact its bus powered. Good work M-Audio.

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
I havent used one, but I was at CompUSA in the Mac area and I overheard a guy who was talking to the head of the Mac department about the iControl and the guy mentioned that he had one in his car. He went out to get it but I had to go so never got to see it. But they are out, and they do exist.

iWillard

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2005
Staring at a Mac Screen
Sirus The Virus said:
I havent used one, but I was at CompUSA in the Mac area and I overheard a guy who was talking to the head of the Mac department about the iControl and the guy mentioned that he had one in his car. He went out to get it but I had to go so never got to see it. But they are out, and they do exist.

oh I held one for sale at the apple store today... but wanted to check out reviews to see what people say... i realize it's limited to only garageband, but that's all I use anyway... It's a bit annoying to always have to click on everything to tweek music in GB... it's too new for reviews i guess... :(

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
iWillard said:
oh I held one for sale at the apple store today... but wanted to check out reviews to see what people say... i realize it's limited to only garageband, but that's all I use anyway... It's a bit annoying to always have to click on everything to tweek music in GB... it's too new for reviews i guess... :(

Hi,

I think that the iControl is also usuable with Logic 7. I have a foggy memory of reading that somewhere. But it makes sense.

So, who's gonna post the first review?
:eek:

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
You should be able to use it with any sequencer that lets you program remote controls. Most sequencers have MIDI learn features to learn controls easily. So thats Logic, Reason, Cubase and possibly Pro Tools sorted.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
pulsewidth947 said:
You should be able to use it with any sequencer that lets you program remote controls. Most sequencers have MIDI learn features to learn controls easily. So thats Logic, Reason, Cubase and possibly Pro Tools sorted.

Ya, using this with reason would be awsome, reason rocks, but i find that the knobs and sliders are soooo tiny, I wish they could add a zoom feature or something. But using the iControl with reason could solve all my tweaking woes.

good call :D

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
quigleybc said:
Ya, using this with reason would be awsome, reason rocks, but i find that the knobs and sliders are soooo tiny, I wish they could add a zoom feature or something. But using the iControl with reason could solve all my tweaking woes.
If you are using Reason (3.0), I recommend getting one of the Behringer units (either the BCR2000 if you want just knobs, or BCF2000 if you want sliders too). You have rotary encoders with LEDs so you know where your settings are at onscreen, and with the BCF you get motorised (!) faders plus encoders.

I got a BCR2000, and it was good with Reason 2.5, but now Reason 3 supports controller feedback, and autofinding of your unit its amazing. The first time you click on a device and all the LEDs move to the position they are onscreen is a wonderful sight :)

Very reasonably priced too - £ 82.99 for the BCR2000, £ 124.99 for the BCF2000 (from Digital Village).

They plug in your USB port, and have the usual MIDI ports should you wish to use them with hardware MIDI gear.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
quigleybc said:
I figured I should follow up on this thread because I started it :)

For those of you who are interested, there is review of the iControl over at Mac Jams

http://www.macobserver.com/columns/rantsandraves/2005/20050722.shtml

The guy refers to it as being "cute" so i will allow you to draw your own conclusions.
I just read the review that you posted, and now, more than ever, i have decided that M-Audio has hired some Fisher Price designers to make the iControl.

The lack of drivers that allow you to reconfigure the iControl kind of stinks, but i bet you could do it with JunXion(takes pretty much any USB device and allows you to output MIDI data).

Better still, it's USB bus-powered, so it doesn't need a bulky power adapter, making it a dream to use with a PowerBook or iBook for truly mobile recording.
So, all i need is my PB/iBook, my audio interface, and my iControl! Wow, that is portable! </sarcasm>

M-Audio makes some great products, but this one suffers from a lack of features. Add simple audio i/o, MIDI i/o and make it a firewire interface for around $250 and they would have many more buyers.

Hummm, $130 for a "mouse" that only works with one program. Ill stick with my trackpad for now. :rolleyes:

Geez, i am cynical tonight!

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
faintember said:
Geez, i am cynical tonight!

you may be cynical, but I pretty much agree with you...

it does look frighteningly "toyish"

i guess they are trying to cater to amateurs and beginners that use Gargeband for fun.

I don't know, oh well, it'll probably drop in price in like six weeks anyway, so maybe then it will be more appealing.

Any other opinions? :)

entasmiquity

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2005
iControl Review

I picked up an iControl a couple weeks ago; here are my thoughts:

First, it might be helpful to hear about me and the music I record, so that you can gauge your needs against mine.

I am an amateur with no ambition to become a professional, and frankly no real talent to do so either. I've been writing and recording basic rock and pop songs for about 15 years using several cassette 4-tracks and digital 8-tracks over the years.

A few years ago, I tried moving my recording work over to my computer w/ Pro Tools LE and Logic Express, but both proved too complicated; I would rather spend my scarce free time writing than learning how to use the computer.

Garageband convinced me to give computer recording another try. It's fun and easy, but lacks the tactical control I enjoyed w/ the 4- and 8-tracks (such as the Boss BR-864) I've used over the years.

For me, iControl fits the bill nearly perfectly.

Here are some general comments:

1. There has never been an easier-to-use piece of gear. Plug it in to the USB port, and Garageband instantly recognizes it--it just works.

2. The iControl is very well made. The buttons and knobs have a good, solid feel. The iControl does not completely faithfully re-create the feel of a 4- or 8-track or a larger controller like the Digi 002. But it is still satisfying, and a huge leap over mouse-based tweaking. It also has subtle lights that add an appealing glow to active controls.

3. The included "MIDI In" port makes it very easy to connect a keyboard or other controller. Of course, Garageband recognizes it instantly.

4. The iControl lets you control volume/pan of 8 tracks at a time with endless rotary encoders. While a part of me would prefer faders, like on most controllers, the endless knobs have their purpose. For example, when you adjust the volume for tracks 1-8, faders would remain in those positions even when you are using them to adjust tracks 9-16. That makes fine adjustments difficult. (If track 1 was set at a high volume, the fader is still on a high volume when you use that fader for track 9. Assuming that track 9 had been set on a low volume, you cannot make a fine adjustment to this track without moving the fader from high to low volume, which would throw track 9's volume far out of whack.) This is not a problem with endless knobs, which unlike faders, have only relative values.

5. The jog wheel is great and can be used to scroll directly to the point in your song that you're looking for. This and the big "record" button make "punching in" a lot easier and more precise.

6. The knobs can be used to adjust EQ settings as well as instrument attributes. This makes iControl a lot more powerful than is apparent at first blush. While not quite as intuitive as the transport controls and the track volume/pan controls, these features are easy to learn and fairly robust.

Hard-core Logic Pro or Reason users will likely prefer to move along. This product is Absolutely NOT for you virtual professionals. But for those (like me) who want to make the most out of Garageband and get some of the tactile experience of using a 4- or 8-track, the iControl is a good investment. It's also a lot of fun.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Some good info and I think your right entasmiquity, this is for occasional and low-key users of Garageband, in absence of any other interface it'd work fine.

I think it's a shame they didn't add a mic input to it for completeness, but there you go.

Not sure it would have helped me much at the weekend mind:

Attachments

• DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 377

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
entasmiquity said:

Great review, I think I prefer your review to the one on Macjams,

I wonder if works with Logic Express 7.1? Anyone know? The "it just works" is a great selling point for sure, and I agree with you that spending 90% of your creative time digging through manuals and tutorials can be counter productive to say the least. I for one am a huge fan of Garageband, for the most part. I like using Garageband for quick ideas and then when I feel like I am on to something, I load it up in Logic. If the iControl worked in Logic as well as Garageband then I would think more seriously about it.

Thanks for the great review :)

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
Good review entasmiquity

A great review from a user, what quigleybc has been looking for.

Sometimes i forget that not everyone is a hard-core computer music person.
I guess sometimes higher educational studies make a person more apt to have tunnel vision. Thanks for knocking me up-side the head! :p :D

Blue67

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2019
iControl Review

Fantastic review and just convinced me to buy one
your story rings very true to my own
I've been writing and recording my own songs for nearly 40 years with no great talent but an unquenchable thirst and love for writing on so many 4/8/16/24 track recorders over the years, bang of the age in the 80's when this kind of stuff began to become cost affordable to the common dude
a bit of a hoarder, I have way too much hardware, although to be fair I still use most of it but I have found that I am at my most creative downstairs at 2 in the morning with my acoustic trying to write/sing quietly

I've had my ipad for years and for years it sat next to me while I thought about different wee compact setups that I could keep downstairs, amp/drum machine/ small synth/recorder...…… and it would grow and grow till me and my wife had a falling out over it

All this time I was aware of garageband, indeed I had it
never used it, dismissed it as a toy and not for the likes of me and to be fair I am really only at the start of this journey and part of me still hates it, the way of building your song still screams TOY!!! at me but.....

I have recorded so many wee bits and pieces in the last month or so that normally would have been lost
we've all been there, all done it, you're sitting with your guitar and a wee "something" falls out of you, a hook, a line, a verse, now and again one of those that are almost completely written in a very short space of time, anything...…….. "I'll not forget that" you say to yourself …......ah! the ultimate folly

Now! I have my iPad, which was under my nose all this time running garageband (TOY!!!)((stop it)) and an irig acoustic clipped onto my guitar and i'm off and running, so far all i'm using it for is recording my guitar and drums, ah! the drums...……. all those ready to use drum loops, amazing! one thing I hate doing and pretty rubbish at is beat building and drum tracks, this is just perfect
this wee setup is now capturing my wee "somethings" that I would have normally lost and that in itself is worth so much to me

and to go back to the bits and pieces I caught, curious to find out how this ipad carry on will sound through my wee bedroom studio, (semi-serious is how best I would describe my wee man space)
plugged it in and wow!, guitar playing was pretty poor, so I was delighted at the improvement there but the drums just tickled me, as good as anything I've used
I've now bought a small usb keyboard and downloaded some synths, some free and some I've paid for and in comparative terms pennies for what I have paid for synths down through the years and I've had some of the classics, SH-101, 106, M1, Virus C but I was always meaning to pick up a korg wavestation and I just downloaded the iwavestation, I am having some fun I can tell you
it sounds fantastic and i'm already looking at upgrading what I already have and again, checking out prices of various things, aint gonna bankrupt me
the biggest thing for me and it is early days but those wee somethings that I have now saved at 2 in the morning can now, relatively seamlessly be integrated into my upstairs setup, i'm currently mixing down 2 complete songs that made it because of this

was a bit of a letter writer back in the day, can you tell?

so back to the beginning, i'm thinking the icontrol (ANOTHER TOY!!!) would give me a little hardware hands on that I crave and I think that might make me like this whole thing a little more

apologies for the indulgent ramble

First, it might be helpful to hear about me and the music I record, so that you can gauge your needs against mine.

I am an amateur with no ambition to become a professional, and frankly no real talent to do so either. I've been writing and recording basic rock and pop songs for about 15 years using several cassette 4-tracks and digital 8-tracks over the years.

A few years ago, I tried moving my recording work over to my computer w/ Pro Tools LE and Logic Express, but both proved too complicated; I would rather spend my scarce free time writing than learning how to use the computer.

Garageband convinced me to give computer recording another try. It's fun and easy, but lacks the tactical control I enjoyed w/ the 4- and 8-tracks (such as the Boss BR-864) I've used over the years.

For me, iControl fits the bill nearly perfectly.

Here are some general comments:

1. There has never been an easier-to-use piece of gear. Plug it in to the USB port, and Garageband instantly recognizes it--it just works.

2. The iControl is very well made. The buttons and knobs have a good, solid feel. The iControl does not completely faithfully re-create the feel of a 4- or 8-track or a larger controller like the Digi 002. But it is still satisfying, and a huge leap over mouse-based tweaking. It also has subtle lights that add an appealing glow to active controls.

3. The included "MIDI In" port makes it very easy to connect a keyboard or other controller. Of course, Garageband recognizes it instantly.

4. The iControl lets you control volume/pan of 8 tracks at a time with endless rotary encoders. While a part of me would prefer faders, like on most controllers, the endless knobs have their purpose. For example, when you adjust the volume for tracks 1-8, faders would remain in those positions even when you are using them to adjust tracks 9-16. That makes fine adjustments difficult. (If track 1 was set at a high volume, the fader is still on a high volume when you use that fader for track 9. Assuming that track 9 had been set on a low volume, you cannot make a fine adjustment to this track without moving the fader from high to low volume, which would throw track 9's volume far out of whack.) This is not a problem with endless knobs, which unlike faders, have only relative values.

5. The jog wheel is great and can be used to scroll directly to the point in your song that you're looking for. This and the big "record" button make "punching in" a lot easier and more precise.

6. The knobs can be used to adjust EQ settings as well as instrument attributes. This makes iControl a lot more powerful than is apparent at first blush. While not quite as intuitive as the transport controls and the track volume/pan controls, these features are easy to learn and fairly robust.

Hard-core Logic Pro or Reason users will likely prefer to move along. This product is Absolutely NOT for you virtual professionals. But for those (like me) who want to make the most out of Garageband and get some of the tactile experience of using a 4- or 8-track, the iControl is a good investment. It's also a lot of fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.