Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
With rumours of a 5 inch screen, 1080 screen...13' camera..do you think there will be more features to keep up with the galaxy comp?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I don't think so. Apple has never really played the specs game, and I don't think they'll start now. Of course, it may add increased pressure on their release schedules etc, but I don't think they'll change what's in the next iPhone.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I think that Apple still has a smug attitude and will get steam rollered this year by the Galaxy S4. Apple corporate culture is that everything they design is "perfect" and they are slow to adapt to rapid changes. Witness the large number of defectors from this forum, there has been a cacophony of posts about dissatisfaction with Apple and people switching to Android or will be switching when the Galaxy S4 comes out.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
To be honest unless apple do add more features it is tempting to move and get the next galaxy phone think others feel the same. Just hope apple realise this and don't keep getting by on pure rep

dinesh29888

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
When is the galaxy S4 releasing ? I will dump my i5 for the S4 or the Note 3 .... I need big screens & some widgets on my home screen.

DanBurns91

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
West Midlands, England
I'm holding out to iOS 7 before I consider moving. I don't care about specs just the end user experience and now that android has caught up (Samsung especially) it all comes down to software enhancements. I prefer iOS overall but it has became a bit stale, so I guess it's in the hands of Mr. Ive

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
When is the galaxy S4 releasing ? I will dump my i5 for the S4 or the Note 3 .... I need big screens & some widgets on my home screen.

some say feb/march but then another report says not before may.

they say the note 3 will be 6.3 inches :eek:

----------

I doubt there will a lot of new features but can almost guarantee it'll be thinner, faster, lighter..

I see in your sig you have an iphone 5 and a galaxy note 2..do you use the note as a tablet then?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
To be honest unless apple do add more features it is tempting to move and get the next galaxy phone think others feel the same. Just hope apple realise this and don't keep getting by on pure rep

I predict the iPhone 5S will just be another minor update and cause more people to defect. Users have come to expect more out of their $700 purchase and a small screen and stagnant iOS is not cutting it anymore. Times have changed and people have changed. However, Apple can't see the changing tide and even former Apple execs like Steve Wozniak say the competition is innovating more than Apple is.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I predict the iPhone 5S will just be another minor update and cause more people to defect. Users have come to expect more out of their $700 purchase and a small screen and stagnant iOS is not cutting it anymore. Times have changed and people have changed. However, Apple can't see the changing tide and even former Apple execs like Steve Wozniak say the competition is innovating more than Apple is.

Well yeah the thought of a 5 inch screen and good quailty widgets is very interesting to me. Even small things like watching a TV show or video while texting or browsing the web is a nice feature.

Bigger screens are what people want these days and a 4 inch screen might not be good enough.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I see in your sig you have an iphone 5 and a galaxy note 2..do you use the note as a tablet then?

I purchased the 5 and ended up returning it for the Note II. The 5 wasn't the upgrade I hoped it would be. Decided to give Android a try for the first time and enjoying it.

dinesh29888

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
I see in your sig you have an iphone 5 and a galaxy note 2..do you use the note as a tablet then?[/QUOTE said:
We all are used to the small screen size of apple but once you get used to the Note 2 screen size then you won't look back & then your next upgrade will be of the same size or much bigger. I have heard people saying note 2 is really huge are mostly apple fans including me ...

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
We all are used to the small screen size of apple but once you get used to the Note 2 screen size then you won't look back & then your next upgrade will be of the same size or much bigger. I have heard people saying note 2 is really huge are mostly apple fans including me ...

Yeah my dad has got one and it's partly to why I'm tempted to get the S4 when it comes out.

----------

I purchased the 5 and ended up returning it for the Note II. The 5 wasn't the upgrade I hoped it would be. Decided to give Android a try for the first time and enjoying it.

Ah so you don't have it anymore? I'm tempted to keep my 5 as a back-up option and use it for music etc if I do get the S4. the note is impressive with what you can do. My dad loves it for adding PDF and i like the way you can add TV shows and movies instantly which apple don't allow.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
As long as Apples sales volume remains high, they will continue to remain conservative. However they've kept this look for so long it could be said they're milking it for profit. At some point the well worn slogan "Apple doesn't compete on specs" will be uncovered as the lie it is. Witness the fact that "retina" is touted as the advantage no one else has. Yet the counter attack in the works by several other companies is to simply use a display of 400 or higher. This year will be the year Apple's retina will no longer be "magical".

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If their sales have taken a hit (as many suspect due to the absence of sales figures being released), then they will be worried I think and might change tack.

If their sales are as good as usual, I don't think they'll bat an eyelid.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Any company that wants to stay competitive would need to keep an eye on their rivals products and consumer buying trends. Apple didn't get to being a top company by ignoring the competition.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
If their sales have taken a hit (as many suspect due to the absence of sales figures being released), then they will be worried I think and might change tack.

If their sales are as good as usual, I don't think they'll bat an eyelid.

What would constitute a hit in sales? Less than what they sold last year, or less than what they thought they would sell? By all accounts, they're selling more iPhones than ever, but not selling as many as they were projected to sell.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
What would constitute a hit in sales? Less than what they sold last year, or less than what they thought they would sell? By all accounts, they're selling more iPhones than ever, but not selling as many as they were projected to sell.

I think if the S4 beats them in sales that would be another major hit..Samsung are getting stronger by the day...if they bring even more features to this S4 compared to the 5S why will people stay with apple?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I think if the S4 beats them in sales that would be another major hit..Samsung are getting stronger by the day...if they bring even more features to this S4 compared to the 5S why will people stay with apple?

The same reason people picked the 5 over the S3. Not everyone wants a stonking big phone with a gazillion features, just one that does enough. :p

I LOVED the S3 when I had it, just fancied a change as I had used Android for three years.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

I don't get that mentality of this or that, why can't both Apple and Samsung co-exist in the smartphone market. If you want to run a mini spaceship in your pocket and what an lot of bells and whistles then get a Galaxy. If you want something minimal and slick then get an iPhone.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The same reason people picked the 5 over the S3. Not everyone wants a stonking big phone with a gazillion features, just one that does enough. :p

I LOVED the S3 when I had it, just fancied a change as I had used Android for three years.

True not everybody wants the same but you get the feeling generally the market wants bigger screens and more things like widgets and being able to use SD cards in the phone to upload pics and movies easily.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Some stubborn people will stay with Apple products even if Apple has the same static home screen icons, no widgets and a plain lockscreen 10 years down the road. :rolleyes:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Some stubborn people will stay with Apple products even if Apple has the same static home screen icons, no widgets and a plain lockscreen 10 years down the road. :rolleyes:

Some will because it's apple but when you have people spending 500-700 on a phone I don't see why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.