Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Optical drives are funny things, you know. Useful for burning OS install discs when you can't make bootable USBs on a Mac, and your PC's optical drive reads discs fine but refuses to burn them. Which reminds me, I have a 2008 iMac lying around, unused. Trying to decide what would be the best thing to use it for - I upgraded it to a 1TB HDD and 4 GB RAM. I could sell it, I suppose, but I have minimal experience at it. Need to study the market first. :eek:

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
meh. no optical drive doesnt bother me. I intend to get a slim usb blue ray player to plug into it anyway. i will be able to burn 50 gb discs that way plus watch blue ray movies on the nice display.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
At this point I would rather deal with an external tray loading drive. I had a music cd get stuck in the optical drive in an iMac and fortunately had AppleCare as the drive needed replacement.

I found a nice external tray loading DVD burner that also has a 4 port USB 2.0 hub in it. So now I can also read discs that have those damn paper labels stuck on them. I also don't have to worry about discs getting stuck in the slot loading drive again.

As a side benefit, the external drive stays put where the USB hub I used to use slid all over the place.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Optical drives are funny things, you know. Useful for burning OS install discs when you can't make bootable USBs on a Mac, and your PC's optical drive reads discs fine but refuses to burn them. Which reminds me, I have a 2008 iMac lying around, unused. Trying to decide what would be the best thing to use it for - I upgraded it to a 1TB HDD and 4 GB RAM. I could sell it, I suppose, but I have minimal experience at it. Need to study the market first. :eek:

Conversely, I'm glad I got a 2012 and not a 2011. First, it means being able to use a REAL optical drive when needed (you know, a cheap one costing under $30 that isn't BitLocker hampered when it comes to ripping your DVD collection like Apple's drives), and second, who on earth uses optical drives 99.9% of the time?

Just an alternative opinion, there. :p

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Optical drives are funny things, you know. Useful for burning OS install discs when you can't make bootable USBs on a Mac, and your PC's optical drive reads discs fine but refuses to burn them.

The 2011 machine is better because it comes with a crummy 50 buck built in ODD that is prone to problems? Really? Getting Rid of the ODD is the best thing they did for the new iMac in my opinion! And yes, I still use DVDs a lot.

Last edited:

Isengardtom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
The 2012 has a less reflective screen, better GPU options, fusion drive option, stays cooler and has a more beautiful design.

The lack of an optical drive can be eliminated by just buying an external one.

I would say the only real downside of the 2012 is the lack or ram upgradability in the 21 inch

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
USB 3, no dust under glass, and so many other reasons to rejoice in a 2012

Only reason I would have liked a 2011 is VESA mounting, and I would have had fun taking it apart and putting my own drives into it

I can always do that with my 2012 in 3 years when the warranty is out!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The 2011 machine is better because it comes with a crummy 50 buck built in ODD that is prone to problems? Really? Getting Rid of the ODD is the best thing they did for the new iMac in my opinion! And yes, I still use DVDs a lot.
Really, prone to problems? I have had zero issues with the ODD in my 2011 iMac and my 2008 iMac I still have kicking around. The same cannot be said of the iMac G5 I had before that, though - the optical drive on that Mac refused to burn DVDs after a while. It READ discs fine, and would burn CDs too. Mind you, it took 5+ years of use for that to develop. That being said, I guess I've found myself relying more on the optical drive than I thought I'd be. Oh, and it's worth mentioning that I've never once tried an external ODD with a Mac before.

kennyap

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Cayman Islands

If you're trying to make yourself feel better about buying a 2011 iMac over a 2012 I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place. The 2012 iMac is the undoubtedly superior machine. I could list the features/design improvements, but I don't want to make you feel bad as the 2011 is still a worthy product which should last you for a few years.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
If you're trying to make yourself feel better about buying a 2011 iMac over a 2012 I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place. The 2012 iMac is the undoubtedly superior machine. I could list the features/design improvements, but I don't want to make you feel bad as the 2011 is still a worthy product which should last you for a few years.
Heh, you are right. The 2012 iMac is certainly faster and thinner than the 2011. I do wonder about the heat dissipation, though - my 2008 iMac gets awfully hot under load.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I removed the Sony Optiarc/SuperDrive from my '11 iMac and I've been using an external BR Drive since my '09 iMac and haven't looked back.
The speeds are much quicker and I have more options with the BR drive.

I plan on picking up a '12 iMac soon and continuing to use the same external drive if and when I need it. plus I won't accidentally put an SD card into the SuperDrive slot anymore with the newer model.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

While I do get the gist of your thread OP, most of your post is baffling me. :confused:. Firstly, since when can't one make a bootable USB on a Mac? It certainly isn't new technology on a Mac, I've been running Macs over 15 years.

The rest of what you wrote about the PC reading discs but not burning them and your 2008 iMac being upgraded, what does that have to do with your thread title? Sounds like you were mostly rambling about.

DVD writers are obsolete. Do the smart thing and get a blu ray burner.

Talk about obsolete before it even came to market. Sony all but showed up on everybody's front door step trying to push BR into every computer on the market. It has never been the most desired feature on a computer even though the technology has been well accepted for HDTV's. Overall optical is really becoming "obsolete".

The 2011 machine is better because it comes with a crummy 50 buck built in ODD that is prone to problems Really? Getting Rid of the ODD is the best thing they did for the new iMac in my opinion! And yes, I still use DVDs a lot.

I've never once had any issues with my 2011 iMac's ODD. Do you have any proof to this nonsense statement? Also tell that to software companies who are still making plenty of software on optical disc.

If you're trying to make yourself feel better about buying a 2011 iMac over a 2012....

I knew someone would say this. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the 2012 iMac is a fantastic machine. Kudos to Apple! :)

Yes, the 2012 iMac is a very nice machine but it's not a super-fantastic upgrade over the 2011 iMac and the OP has a point. The ODD is still a necessity and there are plenty of people that buy video games and the like (or still have older titles) on optical disc. There is still software that comes on optical disc. Having to buy an external optical drive is not only an extra added cost but it takes up desk space and an extra USB connection plug that is being taken up.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
While I do get the gist of your thread OP, most of your post is baffling me. :confused:. Firstly, since when can't one make a bootable USB on a Mac? It certainly isn't new technology on a Mac, I've been running Macs over 15 years.

The rest of what you wrote about the PC reading discs but not burning them and your 2008 iMac being upgraded, what does that have to do with your thread title? Sounds like you were mostly rambling about.
The software I use to make bootable Linux USB drives doesn't like Macs, I guess. *shrug* As for the rest, yup. Random rambling. :p

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Sounds like you are justifying a reason not to buy the 2012 iMac. Admit it, you want one. Sell your 2011, get the 2012, get a nice external Blu-Ray drive and be done with it.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
The software I use to make bootable Linux USB drives doesn't like Macs, I guess. *shrug* As for the rest, yup. Random rambling. :p

Disk Utility makes perfect USB bootable drives. No extra software needed on the Mac and it doesn't matter what OS you're trying to make bootable be it Windows, Linux or OS X of course. Try using just Disk Utility. :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Sounds like you are justifying a reason not to buy the 2012 iMac. Admit it, you want one. Sell your 2011, get the 2012, get a nice external Blu-Ray drive and be done with it.
Tempting, I know. I don't have the money to do that right now, though. Sure, I'd probably get quite a bit of money for my 2011 iMac + a little more from the 2008. That MIGHT be enough to almost get a 2012...
Disk Utility makes perfect USB bootable drives. No extra software needed on the Mac and it doesn't matter what OS you're trying to make bootable be it Windows, Linux or OS X of course. Try using just Disk Utility. :)
Did not know that. Thanks for the info! :)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Heh, you are right. The 2012 iMac is certainly faster and thinner than the 2011. I do wonder about the heat dissipation, though - my 2008 iMac gets awfully hot under load.

The 2012 is the coolest-running iMac yet. It's actually kind-of amazing how little heat it generates, and only one fan. Crazy!

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Given the new design, I'd wait a year or two to see what problems may occur. In other words, I don't want to pay $2000 ++ and end up being the iGuineaPig. Not in 2013, at least :p

Let early adopters have their experience both in short and long term. So far quite good, but I need more time to see the trend while I'm enjoying my BTO 2011 iMac (bought it back on June 2011, totally worth the money at the time).

There are few remorse occurring with the new design though: lack of ODD (can use external, but still I'd rather have everything on board with supposedly an ALL IN ONE product), a few Image Retention, possibility of on board RAM for 27", or even CPU on next gen iMac.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I've never once had any issues with my 2011 iMac's ODD. Do you have any proof to this nonsense statement? Also tell that to software companies who are still making plenty of software on optical disc.

Yes, the 2012 iMac is a very nice machine but it's not ....

Take it easy, buddy. Proof? Try google. There was a known problem with the Superdrives around 2009 as well.

And once again, another poster talking down the 2012 who also just happens to own a 2011... The pattern is amusing

Tofray

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
And once again, another poster talking down the 2012 who also just happens to own a 2011... The pattern is amusing

I just recently took advantage of the mass-exodus of people who sold their 2011's to buy a 2012. Mine is a top o' the line 2011, and it is still simply outstanding...Do I love it more than I would love a 2012...Probably not. But to me, the "extra love" I'd have wasn't worth $1k more.

Additionally, as much as I like the idea of a fusion drive, I much more like the ability to pick and choose what goes on my SSD. Plus, VESA mounting was a must for me...I like to move around my desk in contorted positions to stay comfortable, and it's nice to move the monitor around with me. Oh, and I did use my Optical Drive once, so that was totally worth it. :D

kennyap

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Cayman Islands
Yes, the 2012 iMac is a very nice machine but it's not a super-fantastic upgrade over the 2011 iMac and the OP has a point. The ODD is still a necessity and there are plenty of people that buy video games and the like (or still have older titles) on optical disc. There is still software that comes on optical disc. Having to buy an external optical drive is not only an extra added cost but it takes up desk space and an extra USB connection plug that is being taken up.

Let's be clear about this: the 2012 iMac's new design is groundbreaking. It's simply beautiful, and I don't say that very often. The improvement in the GPU offered (680MX) is a huge deal, bigger than I think you realize. That sucker is fast (for real-world application). And there are other lesser improvements (CPU, RAM speed, etc.).

The improvement is big enough that I ordered a 2012 iMac even though I already have a fully-loaded 2011 iMac. I'd wait until the next iMac release if I didn't think it was worth it. If that was the case I'd tell it like it is and say the 2011 iMac is the machine to buy. But leaving pricing aside, the 2012 iMac simply outshines the 2011 model and is definitely the one I would recommend purchasing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.