Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cricketlocked

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Interested

If anyone successfully unlocks a Cricket iphone 5, please let me know. I've tried the itunes reset, but that did not work. My Cricket service is awful and now they pretty much screwed me on canceling my service, so i need to find a way to use my phone on a real carrier.

cricketiphone5

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
yes iphone 5 says SEARCHING IN TOP HAND CORNER

vina phone sim card did not work.

I just bought a viettel 3g usb cellular data modem for my laptop, created an ad hoc wifi network between it and my iphone and I'm using skype service to make calls. it's a pretty clumsy solution and people are having a hard time getting a hold of me, but at least I can make phone calls while in vietnam and access emails, etc.

cricketiphone5

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
tried the complete restore through itunes and after 3 hours of backing up and reloading the situation is the same, just says SEARCHING.
upon reactivation I got this message
device is activated on cdma us netork international roming requires a sim. which gave me a false sense of hope.
I'm giving up.:(:(

Last edited:

Stheking

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
3 weeks ego, I buy my cricket iPhone 5 and activated with Cricket and use it for 2 weeks in US.
After i came home i restore the phone but alwayes keep for searching...
When i try to connect to itune in another computer i meange to activated to gsm/umts carrier in israel - Hot mobile.
look for my post about manually searching...

Sorry for my Bad English

Attachments

• IMG_001.jpg
    IMG_001.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 229
  • ???? ?? IMG_003.jpg
    ???? ?? IMG_003.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 360

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I noticed that the iPhone 5 is not on Cricket's website anymore. Are they not selling it anymore?

It's just sold out and they haven't gotten any more in. They take it off the website hoping that someone looking for an iPhone 5 will go ahead and get another phone.

I went into a local Cricket store the other day and they have never even gotten the phone in yet. He said they should have it in two weeks.

I asked about LTE and when they should have it in my area. He said December and I asked him would I be locked into the $55 rate if I went ahead and bought the phone now. He said yes but I don't know whether to believe him or not.

kevincredible

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
London
3 weeks ego, I buy my cricket iPhone 5 and activated with Cricket and use it for 2 weeks in US.
After i came home i restore the phone but alwayes keep for searching...
When i try to connect to itune in another computer i meange to activated to gsm/umts carrier in israel - Hot mobile.
look for my post about manually searching...

Sorry for my Bad English

Can you take screenshots of your Settings > General? It seems that I don't have the option you have.

Peter8489

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I just got an iPhone 5 on Cricket. I activated the phone with a German t-mobile card. At first it had quite some trouble finding a network. But after a couple of hours it found the t-mobile network and it works without a problem. I didn't do anything special, I just put in the SIM card and went ahead with the registration/activation. That is all I did! Just let it search for a couple of hours and hopefully it will find the correct service!

Tracy8746

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Cricket is right about the iPhone 5. It is locked in north america but international unlocked. I actives mine in US. When I arrived in Macau, I put in my sim card and it started searching. It keep searching for a while and no network is found. I tried to restore it in iTunes but it said it could not do it. So I put out my SIM card and restore it again. Then I turn off the phone and turn it back on, put in the sims and it works fine. I am happy with it! One thing I want to point out is after you plug in the sim card , there will be a carrier option I the setting page. Hopes it helps

guilhermeteam

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Cricket is right about the iPhone 5. It is locked in north america but international unlocked. I actives mine in US. When I arrived in Macau, I put in my sim card and it started searching. It keep searching for a while and no network is found. I tried to restore it in iTunes but it said it could not do it. So I put out my SIM card and restore it again. Then I turn off the phone and turn it back on, put in the sims and it works fine. I am happy with it! One thing I want to point out is after you plug in the sim card , there will be a carrier option I the setting page. Hopes it helps

This site told me that is possible to unlock iPhone 5 from Cricket. http://www.unlockiphonetool.com
My 2 iPhones 5 from cricket is very much locked and i can't use them here in Brazil. If any tried the site http://www.unlockiphonetool.com and had successes
, please, tell us!

cricketiphone5

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
google review of that web site name
only negative scam reviews. most likley a scam

i've had my sim card in my iphone 5 for a week. no luck getting it to connect again, until I went back to Ho Chi Min City and swapped it with another sim card, waited 10 minutes and turned phone off and on.

seems like not only do you have to be patient , but you must also try different sim cards.

still have NOT gotten white phone to work. My guess is that you must activate in USA before taking it over seas?????

Last edited:

cricketiphone5

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
well i went to a differnet city took out sim card from black phone and put in white phone and made no difference.

now neither phone works

when I went back to ho chi min city the black iphone would find carrier after putting in sim card and taking it out.

so it looks like what city you are in makes a difference too.

funny thing is I can travel out side of ho chi min city and get service fine, but as soon as I take out sim and reinsert it the iphone 5 can never reconnect.

ezeuba

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
Success!

I successfully activated cricket iphone 5 on MTN Nigeria early this morning, it's still working now. I've been tinkering with it since this morning and what I found is this: If you swap sim cards from the original one you used to activate it, you will need to do a factory reset and activate the new sim either through itunes or wifi. I tried this twice this morning with two other different sim cards and on the second occasion I lost service on the phone. I tried to activate but it seemed that Apple activation servers were down. Tried as I could, the phone was searching and could not activate again. Until this evening, I just tried again and voila, the phone activated again via wifi; I have a wifi hotspot, instead of using itunes. I'm not going to mess with this anymore for now, I'll leave it as it is.

iialaq01

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Cricket Iphone 5 unlock

What you need to do to unlock the iphone 5 from cricket is to first factory resst the iphone:-
1-go to Setting>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings.

2- insert your sim card after reset then connect to wifi to activate it. this may take few min but it will be unlocked for sure

your phone now should be activated and unlock enjoy and let us know what happen with you

good luck

well i went to a differnet city took out sim card from black phone and put in white phone and made no difference.

now neither phone works

when I went back to ho chi min city the black iphone would find carrier after putting in sim card and taking it out.

so it looks like what city you are in makes a difference too.

funny thing is I can travel out side of ho chi min city and get service fine, but as soon as I take out sim and reinsert it the iphone 5 can never reconnect.

chalia

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
What you need to do to unlock the iphone 5 from cricket is to first factory resst the iphone:-
1-go to Setting>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings.

2- insert your sim card after reset then connect to wifi to activate it. this may take few min but it will be unlocked for sure

your phone now should be activated and unlock enjoy and let us know what happen with you

good luck

hey does this work in the US ?

chalia

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Cricket is a CDMA provider, so they don't use any SIM cards.. iPhone 5 accepts nano SIM cards though (just not from cricket)

Fenkins

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Is there any news about cricket gsm module?
I purchased phone for full cost from ebay and cant get it work with my local carrier sim...

adnanminimarket

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
thank you all

thank you all guys for your helping me, i have an iphone 5 from cricket and i was unable to use it till i found this page and after insert a different sim card and restore the iphone it worked with me so i can confirm that cricket iphone 5 will work internationally and only out of us

i use it now in KSA

I appreciate your help

thanx all :):):):):):):):):):):):)

Fenkins

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
hey, adnanminimarket, can you please tell us what you are exactly do or make a video? because I am unable to get my phone work :(

Shaim

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
Stheking - no way to send u private message.

I have cricket iPhone 5 but i am outside USA.
How can I activate it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.