Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who uses a keyboard protector/cover here?

• Yes

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 75.0%

• Total voters

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I have one, but didn't like how it fit and the feel when I was typing. Instead I took it off and got a screen cloth that I put on the keys when I close the lid so the screen doesn't get damaged.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Bought one but never used it after I found out I can buy replacement key caps as needed. I can almost guarantee the addition of a cover will leave smudges on my screen which will bug me more.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
I use them on all three of my MacBooks and wouldn't dream of not having them. The way I figure it, $7.50 for the cover is a lot cheaper than $750 for a new logic board. No tactile or heat issues whatsoever.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I had one too, but took it off, because it does not allow heat to escape!
Heat radiates in all directions and dissipates through the aluminum body. While clamshell mode or using a keyboard covering slightly inhibits dissipation, it's not enough to cause problems or raise temps more than a few degrees, since the primary cooling is through the vents.

There has never been any air intake or exhaust vents through the keyboard on any Mac notebook. For all Mac notebooks except the MBP-Retina, both intake and exhaust has always been through the vents in the rear near the hinge. The new MBP-Retina has intake vents along the sides at the bottom and exhaust through the rear vents, near the hinge.
Learn about the fans in your Mac
Mac computers have air vents that allow heated air to exit. The vents are in the back of the computer on the MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro computers.
This arrangement allows for venting with the lid open or closed (for operating in clamshell mode). There is a solid panel under the keyboard, preventing any meaningful airflow.
WTBDHrUFidEXI1d4.large
VYXYxcpwMIcT5GuG.large

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Heat radiates in all directions and dissipates through the aluminum body. While clamshell mode or using a keyboard covering slightly inhibits dissipation, it's not enough to cause problems or raise temps more than a few degrees, since the primary cooling is through the vents.

There has never been any air intake or exhaust vents through the keyboard on any Mac notebook. For all Mac notebooks except the MBP-Retina, both intake and exhaust has always been through the vents in the rear near the hinge. The new MBP-Retina has intake vents along the sides at the bottom and exhaust through the rear vents, near the hinge.
Learn about the fans in your Mac

This arrangement allows for venting with the lid open or closed (for operating in clamshell mode). There is a solid panel under the keyboard, preventing any meaningful airflow.
WTBDHrUFidEXI1d4.large
VYXYxcpwMIcT5GuG.large

Thank you for this. It cannot be repeated enough. People on Reddit say it all the time and it makes my brain hurt. They simply will not listen.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I've been using MBA's & MBP's for years without any protective covers.

Just a little common sense & care results in a "like new" appearance 18 months later when I upgrade to new models.

Apple designed them to be used uncovered & did an exemplary job of it.

----------

I use a cover because I hate it when my keys get shiny from use.

Conversely, I really like the patina that develops on the keys of my various Macs.

It's a sign of use, enjoyment and its uniquely mine. :D

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I've been using MBA's & MBP's for years without any protective covers.

Just a little common sense & care results in a "like new" appearance 18 months later when I upgrade to new models.

Apple designed them to be used uncovered & did an exemplary job of it.

----------

Conversely, I really like the patina that develops on the keys of my various Macs.

It's a sign of use, enjoyment and its uniquely mine. :D

That is interesting. Mine just feel oily and disgusting. :p

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Keyboard cloth only. It's probably not necessary but I want to avoid even the chance of the keys marking the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.