Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Julian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Does anybody have any experience with a company called Kouros, operating out of Portugal, http://www.kouroscases.com/blade I am interested in the "Blade" range. I can't find out much about the company.

Since posting this I have recently contacted Kouros inquiring about the iPhone 5 Kouros blade sleeve and I was promptly sent a few imagines.

Attachments

• blade-iphone-5-2.jpg
    blade-iphone-5-2.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 184
  • blade-iphone-5-3.jpg
    blade-iphone-5-3.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 160
  • blade-iphone-5-4.jpg
    blade-iphone-5-4.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 136
  • blade-iphone-5.jpg
    blade-iphone-5.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

whiteyanderson

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Hollywood, California
I just received a Dodocase (durables wallet) and I'm sending it back. It's nice, but not for me.

Before I received the Dodo, I ordered one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A68X1UM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

I like it so much that I'm ordering another and keeping it as a back up. I don't use the screen protector, but I can keep a couple cards, my DL, a bill or two and some business cards in it. I was skeptical due to the price, but reviews were good and I am really happy with it.

Only con is I have no need for a "kickstand" and think they are kind of cheesy, but the stand on this looks like it is part of the case, is leather covered and sits flush with the case when not in use.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
I've been using a Sena UltraSlim case for a few weeks now and it's great - very slim and keeps the weight and size to a minimum.

The Atelier Pall is noticeably larger, I'll see how it is when I take it with me to work tomorrow.

Here are some pictures as you have requested.

and here you can see the extra "wallet" thing
edit: so upon research, it looks like it's this - http://www.atelierpall.com/products/minimal-leather-wallet-tan-brown-duotone.html
they included it in my box with the case for some reason!

How long did it take for your sleeve to come in from EU?

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
Some thoughts on the Portel wallet: Christmas money was burning a hole in my pocket and I sold my Hard Graft wallet on eBay so I ended up ordering the Portel wallet. At the time I ordered they only showed on their site a brown version and a marine (blueish color) but I emailed them and ordered a black one.

Quick bottom line: Wallets are not for everyone, but I can't imagine a better quality wallet. The saying, "you get what you pay for" applies here.

I believe the Portel wallet stands out from the rest of the similarly designed wallets because of the leather and the stitching.

Leather: You can see from the photos below that the leather on the outside is the same as on the inside. Even the leather on the underside of the pockets is the same. The other wallets I have seen have a "suede" side, which tends to shed fibers and attract lint. I don't know anything about leather but I did go to Wikipedia and from what I can get from there, Portel uses a full grain leather while the others use a top grain, where they slice the leather into two pieces.

Stitching: The pockets for the cards have stitching on each side and the pockets are the exact width of the cards, so it is easy to slip in and out and keep nice and tight. The pocket for the iPhone is dead on exact, making the wallet feel very solid in your hand.

I guess some may not like the aged look of the leather, preferring a new look to it, especially at this price, but I love it. My wife insists I was ripped off and the wallet is used. Luckily she hasn't asked me how much I paid for it.

I have only had it for a couple of days so it is not broken in yet. The wallet doesn't unsnap so quickly and I have to pull a bit to get the iPhone out. From past experience with leather wallets, I know it will loosen up in a week or so.

It is the most expensive in its class, from what I have seen, but well worth the money.

These photos show the wallet with the iPhone 5 (with Phantomskinz back and side protectors), driver's license and medical insurance card in one pocket, an atm and credit card in the other and three bills folded in the bottom pocket.

Attachments

• Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Open.jpg
    Open.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 178

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Some thoughts on the Portel wallet: Christmas money was burning a hole in my pocket and I sold my Hard Graft wallet on eBay so I ended up ordering the Portel wallet. At the time I ordered they only showed on their site a brown version and a marine (blueish color) but I emailed them and ordered a black one.

Quick bottom line: Wallets are not for everyone, but I can't imagine a better quality wallet. The saying, "you get what you pay for" applies here.

I believe the Portel wallet stands out from the rest of the similarly designed wallets because of the leather and the stitching.

Leather: You can see from the photos below that the leather on the outside is the same as on the inside. Even the leather on the underside of the pockets is the same. The other wallets I have seen have a "suede" side, which tends to shed fibers and attract lint. I don't know anything about leather but I did go to Wikipedia and from what I can get from there, Portel uses a full grain leather while the others use a top grain, where they slice the leather into two pieces.

Stitching: The pockets for the cards have stitching on each side and the pockets are the exact width of the cards, so it is easy to slip in and out and keep nice and tight. The pocket for the iPhone is dead on exact, making the wallet feel very solid in your hand.

I guess some may not like the aged look of the leather, preferring a new look to it, especially at this price, but I love it. My wife insists I was ripped off and the wallet is used. Luckily she hasn't asked me how much I paid for it.

I have only had it for a couple of days so it is not broken in yet. The wallet doesn't unsnap so quickly and I have to pull a bit to get the iPhone out. From past experience with leather wallets, I know it will loosen up in a week or so.

It is the most expensive in its class, from what I have seen, but well worth the money.

These photos show the wallet with the iPhone 5 (with Phantomskinz back and side protectors), driver's license and medical insurance card in one pocket, an atm and credit card in the other and three bills folded in the bottom pocket.

Nice case, may give it a try! Still digging my Orbino though.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK

Looks nice however I can't help feel that these wallets are a little flawed. Surely, if you have your iPhone inside the wallet and it is closed and inside your pocket and it rings, by the time you pull out the wallet from your pocket, unsnap the wallet, open it and pull out the phone, you have every chance of missing the call?!

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
A general question to anyone. I have a Sena pouch that I used rarely.

Q: isn't it a pain with these wallet cases/pouches to check messages, Facebook postings, emails etc often ? Or even answer the phone?

Or do you not use your phone much?

I mean they look great but I find in practice for them to be awkward.

Just curious how others use these.

JBryan84

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011

Q: isn't it a pain with these wallet cases/pouches to check messages, Facebook postings, emails etc often ? Or even answer the phone?

I have Spigen Crumena S leather sleeve and yes it is a big pain if you're someone who constantly looks at their phone. Yes it looks great when its inside but the functionality isn't there. I get emails often, texts, push notifications and its annoying to check them when using this sleeve. I will use it when I go to work because it helps prevent me from playing and doing random **** on my phone and responding or checking every push notification right away. I find it helps me stay more focused lol. So I've recently been using the Elago S5 leather flip case. I love it. It's essentially a piece of leather glued to the back of a high quality snap case. It covers the screen nicely and is easy to just flip open when I need to use the phone. Check it out, I highly recommend it. I did need to remove the leather piece and readjust we're it stuck so that it would lay flush against the screen opposed to sticking up and looking funny.

King Julian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011

Personally I use the leather sleeves I have for transportation only. When I am at work, or in a meeting the phone (naked of course) will sit proundly besides me.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008

That was my initial thought too when I got my iPhone 5. I had a really nice Beza leather sleeve for my iPhone 4 and stopped using it after a week.

Then I stumbled up on this thread and the thought of combining a wallet and a case seemed good. Still I had that reservation about a sleeve. It seems cumbersome if you use your phone a lot.

But I like the iP5 naked and love the idea of only having to carry one thing. So when I stumbled onto the AtelierPall Duo, I took a gamble and ordered it. You can see my full review somewhere on this thread.

I have used it for about 2 months now and I still love it. I don't miss a call because of the delay getting the phone out yet. I love the protection while listening to music as I can control the music with my headphone and the phone is in the wallet fully protected, likewise when I have the phone in the wallet in my pocket or a bag: it's fully protected. And the whole thing is not any bigger than my old wallet with all the craps.

Sure it would be more cumbersome if I am the type who check the phone every few minutes. I found that I have "grown up" a bit and spend more time interacting with the real world so having a phone in a pouch is a positive thing in a way as it is more of a psychological barrier to remove the phone from the wallet pouch.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
That was my initial thought too when I got my iPhone 5. I had a really nice Beza leather sleeve for my iPhone 4 and stopped using it after a week.

Then I stumbled up on this thread and the thought of combining a wallet and a case seemed good. Still I had that reservation about a sleeve. It seems cumbersome if you use your phone a lot.

But I like the iP5 naked and love the idea of only having to carry one thing. So when I stumbled onto the AtelierPall Duo, I took a gamble and ordered it. You can see my full review somewhere on this thread.

I have used it for about 2 months now and I still love it. I don't miss a call because of the delay getting the phone out yet. I love the protection while listening to music as I can control the music with my headphone and the phone is in the wallet fully protected, likewise when I have the phone in the wallet in my pocket or a bag: it's fully protected. And the whole thing is not any bigger than my old wallet with all the craps.

Sure it would be more cumbersome if I am the type who check the phone every few minutes. I found that I have "grown up" a bit and spend more time interacting with the real world so having a phone in a pouch is a positive thing in a way as it is more of a psychological barrier to remove the phone from the wallet pouch.

Where'd u get it? Pics?

wmelon123

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012

I have been using Sena Walletskin for almost a month now, and I like it a lot.
There has been a discussion comparing the Walletskin and AtelierPall style poach in another thread too. Basically, the cons and pros for Walletskin in my view are:
Pros:
Not cover on the front, so can use the phone as it is, compare to poach style or the flip style wallet cases.
3 credits card slot (can fit 4), with the "protective" clip to prevent the cards from slipping out (not likely as the fit is tight)

Cons:
kind of hard to use cash with the case, but still possible to slide in some bills if prefer.

Like other said, the benefit of carrying just one item is the major reason why wallet cases are appealing, so as long as it fit the user habits, they are great cases regardless of the style. I am still looking for my dream wallet case, that's leather, slim, carry cards and cash, and protective all around...

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
check out this Kickstarter Wallet Case...

http://www.bullettrain.com/SAFEWallet.html

That is one awsome case if it takes off! They still need another $9500 and only in just 23 days - wonder if they'll get it?!

Here's the Kickstarter page: SAFE Wallet Case for iPhone 5 by BulletTrain

So, it's now five days later, and with 18 days remaining, they need $1655, or 43 more backers. They must have gotten over 200 backers in the past 5 days. I think they should be able to find another 43 before February 7th. Meanwhile, it looks so superior to most of the competition I've seen in this thread, I think I'm going to take my chances and order mine tonight. Can someone please tell me what the downside of this case is? It seems to be lighter, cheaper and have greater card carrying capacity (and room for cash and key!). Why would I not want this one over the others? I don't need the "genuine leather" or wood (??). Polycarbonate is okay with me.

Update at 11:59 pm: I just pledged $39 for me and $39 for my wife to get each of us one (silver and blue, respectively). Unfortunately, they don't ship until April...and that's if they reach the goal (which I really think will happen).

Last edited:

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Here's the Kickstarter page: SAFE Wallet Case for iPhone 5 by BulletTrain

So, it's now five days later, and with 18 days remaining, they need $1655, or 43 more backers. They must have gotten over 200 backers in the past 5 days. I think they should be able to find another 43 before February 7th. Meanwhile, it looks so superior to most of the competition I've seen in this thread, I think I'm going to take my chances and order mine tonight. Can someone please tell me what the downside of this case is? It seems to be lighter, cheaper and have greater card carrying capacity (and room for cash and key!). Why would I not want this one over the others? I don't need the "genuine leather" or wood (??). Polycarbonate is okay with me.

Update at 11:59 pm: I just pledged $39 for me and $39 for my wife to get each of us one (silver and blue, respectively). Unfortunately, they don't ship until April...and that's if they reach the goal (which I really think will happen).

I'm thinking about pledging as well. I already have a Hard Graft Skinny Fit wallet style case that I've been using for a couple of months and I love it, but I also like to switch out cases from time to time for variety.

I've never pledged on Kickstarter...what happens if they don't reach their goal? Anybody here ever have that happen?

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I'm thinking about pledging as well. I already have a Hard Graft Skinny Fit wallet style case that I've been using for a couple of months and I love it, but I also like to switch out cases from time to time for variety.

I've never pledged on Kickstarter...what happens if they don't reach their goal? Anybody here ever have that happen?

Not 100% sure but I think if they don't reach their goal, they don't charge you (it's looking more and more likey that they WILL hit their target now: just under $1500 to go and still have 17 days left) . i.e. your card is only debited if they reach their target.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.