Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abhinav7333

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358640890.943151.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358640899.715071.jpg

I did a 2 mile run. And that's how much data was used. This by no means a scientific study. But I am hoping that everybody can contribute and we can come with with a good number.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
I am very interested in this topic as well. Has Apple ever officially said how much data their mapping program uses? I wish Apple would allow DL'ing of maps in advance, or at least for your route. At any rate, I expect Apple maps uses less than Google maps, because there is less detail presented on the Apple screen than Google.

Oh and BTW, I don't necessarily interpret a "2 mile run" to mean a literal RUN ... I think the OP might have done this in his car?

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I'd like to know the same. I'd like to use maps when I'm driving but I don't want to waste all my data doing a 3-4 hour drive from home to school using maps.

----------

I am very interested in this topic as well. Has Apple ever officially said how much data their mapping program uses? I wish Apple would allow DL'ing of maps in advance, or at least for your route. At any rate, I expect Apple maps uses less than Google maps, because there is less detail presented on the Apple screen than Google.

Oh and BTW, I don't necessarily interpret a "2 mile run" to mean a literal RUN ... I think the OP might have done this in his car?

Seems like that would be the more logical thing to do, huh? Have the user download the actual map BEFORE their trip to conserve data. Maybe in iOS 6.1?

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012

I think you're right. I think he meant like a "2 mile test." Though I will admit when I first read it I too thought he did a 2 mile run and found it odd he ran 2 miles in seven minutes. I was going to say he needs to go run professionally as he is flying! lol.

CSanchez

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013

I don't know about Apple Maps ( I'm new to the Iphone) but I know Google Maps will cache maps of a entire area ahead of time, for example Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and the navigation works even with the data turned off.

mchnc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2012
Nokia is the only one allowing convinient download of maps for offline navigation. Works really good. Especially when abroad and trying to avoid roaming charges. Works well without even simcard installed!

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
OK, so who's used either as a gps for say, a two hour round trip of 120 miles total? How much data did you use? I've got a stand alone gps but if either app only uses up a modest amount of data, perhaps I could just use the iphone only without bringing along the gps.

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
what app is that?

hi guys,
slightly off-topic query, but what's the advantage of using DataMan over the regular options in iOS setting (Settings - General - Usage - Cellular Usage)? cos i reset this every month.
Also, is there any app that shows me what app is using how much data? i know this is built into the android, but was wondering if there's something that tells me which of my apps eat up most of my monthly 1 gb data plan.
cheers!

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
http://gizmodo.com/5948066/there-is-one-thing-that-apple-maps-is-a-lot-better-than-google-maps-at

According to this, Apple Maps is 5 times more data efficient then Google.

I guess if you're on a data limit this would be a thing to consider when choosing which app to use.

Too bad Apple Maps doesn't do much of anything else better then Google Maps.

Except that this article was written before Google Maps was released in late 2012. It must've been comparing the old Maps app on iOS that was using Google's data to the new one that's using Apple's data.

The new Google Maps app is vector based just like the new Apple Maps app. I have to think that there's not much difference in data usage between the two when you're panning around the map or using turn-by-turn.

----------

I don't know about Apple Maps ( I'm new to the Iphone) but I know Google Maps will cache maps of a entire area ahead of time, for example Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and the navigation works even with the data turned off.

Google Maps does downloading/caching for later offline use on Android only, I believe. I'm confident the feature will come to the Google Maps iOS app soon, but the app currently does not have this ability.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Just for the record, I've been using the Magellan app for years. It's always supported offline use. I use it regularly on my old 3GS that I use as an iPod touch.

abhinav7333

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Still doesn't explain the 2 miles in 7 minutes. :D

It was in my car. Instead of making unproductive comments, please help the community. If everybody did 1-2 mile runs; we would have enough data to come up with a concrete answer. Runs=doing tests in the scientific world. #

----------

Also, people who are data conscious can use the bottom app. It let's you download the maps onto your phone.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/copilot-gps-plan-explore-offline/id504677517?mt=8

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
hi guys,
slightly off-topic query, but what's the advantage of using DataMan over the regular options in iOS setting (Settings - General - Usage - Cellular Usage)? cos i reset this every month.
Also, is there any app that shows me what app is using how much data? i know this is built into the android, but was wondering if there's something that tells me which of my apps eat up most of my monthly 1 gb data plan.
cheers!

Onavo Count tells you how much data the apps are using.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I can confirm Apple Maps uses much less data than Google Maps.

Drove from Charlotte to Atlanta with Apple Maps and drove back to Charlotte with Google Maps. Google maps used almost 3 times as much data as the Apple Maps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.