Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkhan40

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
I too just bought an apple mac pro with mountain lion os. I downloaded handbreak to rip my DVDs to my harddrive and the conversion is pixelated/blocked. Can anyone help?

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
I always use Handbrake. It does the job well and it's free. Unfortunately it's not on the Mac App Store.

Unfortunately??? I'd say FORTUNATELY it's now at MAS !!!

HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows.

It should keep being what it is, an open-source project!!!

About the original question I'd say to definitely use HandBrake, it's an awesome piece of software! I use it for DVDs and BDs always at High Profile and the quality is just great!!!
If you have problems with encoded disks, you can rip them before using RipIt! And for BD's use MakeMKV to have the original film file before using HB.

That's it! :cool:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Can anyone that knows please explain the difference between Handbrake and the PC software called AnyDVD and CloneDVD by Slysoft?

Copying DVDs/BRs can be divided into 2 things: ripping and encoding

Ripping involves breaking the copy protection and making a copy of the optical disc onto your hard drive.

Encoding is about compressing the result of the ripping process mentioned above. During encoding you also get to set the format and container for the movie file. You need to do this if you want to use the files in iTunes or on your iOS devices.

Some applications do both so you don't realise that it's a two step process.

Handbrake is a ripper and an encoder.

AnyDVD is a ripper only. It does not encode. You can use software like VLC to play back this copy, but it will be the same size as the original (30+ GB for a BR movie)

Handbrake is not a great ripper (there are some DVDs/BRs that it can't rip and the Handbrake devs themselves admit that HB is not a brilliant ripper). It is a great encoder though.

In those cases, I use AnyDVD or makeMKV to create a full size protection free copy of the DVD or BR. I then use Handbrake to encode (compress) this copy into something that is iTunes/iOS friendly.

Whorton22

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
Unfortunately??? I'd say FORTUNATELY it's now at MAS !!!

It should keep being what it is, an open-source project!!!

About the original question I'd say to definitely use HandBrake, it's an awesome piece of software! I use it for DVDs and BDs always at High Profile and the quality is just great!!!
If you have problems with encoded disks, you can rip them before using RipIt! And for BD's use MakeMKV to have the original film file before using HB.

That's it! :cool:
What is MAS??? and I've ripped around 100 DVDs with RipIt and encoded them for AppleTV2 with HandBrake with no problem for the most part. But I'm having trouble with a certain few. When I try encoding in HandBrake it just says "Scanning new source..." but just hangs.

Whorton22

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
Mac App Store :apple:

If you're not using the latest version from RipIt, update it! Than rip the DVD to your disk first. Try using Handbrake from the ripped image.

Tks, I've tried using HandBrake, HandBrake didnt reconize the file.

tonyry

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
After Apple's new desktop operating system - OS X Mountain Lion came out with so many unique and great features, Many Mac users found their DVD Ripping tools don't work on Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, especially free DVD Rippers like MacTheRipper. "It works well before. But after I installed Lion, MacTheRipper refused to work.

Aunind

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
I tried to rip a few DVDs using Handbrake under Lion and couldn't get it to work.

I ended up buying RipIt to rip the DVD to the iMac then Handbrake to convert it to ATV2 format.

I've been converting my DVD collection for ATV use. I've been using RipIt and Handbrake. I'm ripping/encoding separately primarily cause I'm using the disc drive on my older 2007 MBP and encoding on my new retina MPB with no drive. It's also better for batch encodes. Most of the time this works fine but I have several discs that seem to rip fine and are even playable in DVD player but when I load them into handbrake I get the "No valid source found" error. I can rip/encode directly in handbrake from my older MBP but that means the difference of a 2 hour encode vs 20 minutes on my new MBP. I also tried using handbrake on my new MPB and connecting via remote disc but get the "No valid source found" error that way too. Any suggestions? Thanks.

willgreene99

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
DFW
Can you clarify this?
What _software_ leverages the Turbo.264 to compress the DVD rip?

Is there one package that can do both? I'd like to repurpose an old PPC Mini to ripping because, of the compression is on the USB dongle, then it doesn't matter what the host computer is doing. It's a data copy & then it uses the hardware in the USB stick.

+++

The software is also from Elgato, Turbo.264 HD. Without the dongle it uses your CPU to do the conversion. Although there is an option to do both the ripping and conversion, I have not yet tried it. I will have to see how it fares against my current method.

As an update - With the new 2012 Air 11" with the the 2Ghz i7, this combo is even faster than when I first posted. I am consistently getting 150-160 fps for conversion.

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
Another shout out for the Ripit and Handbrake combo. It works great, very simple. In the rare occasion that Ripit does not work, Mactheripper will usually do the trick.

Elec

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Out of curiosity, is this legal? I remember something about this being illegal in the past because you have to break the encryption do rip a DVD. Has anything changed?

**I'm just curious about this, not looking to cause any trouble :D

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Out of curiosity, is this legal? I remember something about this being illegal in the past because you have to break the encryption do rip a DVD. Has anything changed?

**I'm just curious about this, not looking to cause any trouble :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping#United_States

In the US, as long as it is for your personal use (non-infringing use) you are okay ripping.

Although, technically the company making the ripping software may be violating the law.

ByronicHero

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I want to be able to save all my favourite dvds onto my new air so obviously I need a ripping tool. However, now I have Lion it appears a lot of ripping tools don't work with it yet. Can anyone recommend the best dvd ripping tool for Lion? I don't mind paying something for it.

Aside from HandBrake, I'll second Little AppFactory's RipIt. It's a neat little no-frills app that rips DVDs into an easy to play .dvdmediafile that will retain all the extra features and bonus content the original DVD had.

cla9614

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks!

Long time viewer, first time posting. I had a similar question so I searched and found this topic (a search function that works quite well on this forum I might add.

I just downloaded Handbrake for my iMac. It works great with Toast. I already had VLC and Toast 11. This was the final piece of software I needed to backup my DVD collection/use Apple TV.

:D

Berret

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
If it isn't copy protected then all you need to do is copy the DVD files to your computer. No special ripping process necessary. You can then use a multitude of applications to convert the file to a more computer ready format. I'd go with copying to computer first, then converting, otherwise you'll put some heavy use on your DVD drive. If you still have problems copying the files then it is possible your drive is having problems or the DVD itself is damaged. If this is a home burned DVD on cheap discs then those are very prone to presenting issues.

Nitirma

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Only use DVDs you produced yourself and you have legal rights to. The best ripper depend on what you plan to do with the content. Handbrake suffers from the limitations of being only H.264 based and therefore it can't convert to higher quality codecs.

Honess

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Easy, Use Hanbrake or RipIt to rip them. If it dosen't work, maybe your DVDs are protected type.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Im not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Handbrake is not really a ripper, its an encoder (and a good one).

My macbook air isn't really powerful enough as an encoding machine, so I use my i7 PC. I'm not sure if there is a OSX equivalent to AnyDVD, but it basically runs in the background and will break the copy protection of any dvd you put in the drive. Which is nice because I have a few blurays and tons of DVD's. All I do is insert the disk and use handbrake to encode the DVD or Bluray directly to a m4v (no actual ripping required) I add that file to my iTunes library and play all my movies via my AppleTV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.