Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Edit/Udpate - I upgraded to the ATV3, and am still having the same issues. Purchased content from iTunes plays fine, my own media doesn't, except when it's connected to an Ethernet cord. The problem is, there is no Ethernet cord where I do my primary watching of the ATV. But since purchased content works fine, this leads me to believe it's not a wifi issue.

I've been searching and read some threads here and on the Apple forums about this issue, but can't figure out what the problem is. When I try to play movies/tv shows via WiFi, the only ones that load properly are those that I've purchased via iTunes. If I try to play files I've added myself via Home Sharing, they refuse to load. This tells me that it's not my WiFi speed, but I can't figure out what it is. I just restored my ATV 2, relaunched iTunes, tried Airplaying from my computer, iPhone, etc., but nothing works. If anyone has had this problem and been able to solve the issue, I would appreciate some help.

Last edited:

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I've been searching and read some threads here and on the Apple forums about this issue, but can't figure out what the problem is. When I try to play movies/tv shows via WiFi, the only ones that load properly are those that I've purchased via iTunes. If I try to play files I've added myself via Home Sharing, they refuse to load. This tells me that it's not my WiFi speed, but I can't figure out what it is. I just restored my ATV 2, relaunched iTunes, tried Airplaying from my computer, iPhone, etc., but nothing works. If anyone has had this problem and been able to solve the issue, I would appreciate some help.

What kind of files are you trying to play and what are the source? It sounds to me like they are either encoded at a really high bitrate and its over your network's bandwidth, or you have them encoded improperly or through a crappy program.

So what is the source and what are you using to encode the files?

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Mostly my own ripped BD's. Ripped through MakeMKV, then put into Handbrake using the ATV preset. I've used this before, and it's worked fine.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Mostly my own ripped BD's. Ripped through MakeMKV, then put into Handbrake using the ATV preset. I've used this before, and it's worked fine.

Which ATV preset are you using? Keep in mind that by using the CQ slider function that the ATV presets use, there is a good chance that you may end up with an extremely high bitrate file depending on Handbrakes perceived quality level required. Look at the files you are having issues with playing and if any of them are more than 12-15 GB that could be the issue. You can also try using the checkbox in Handbrake that says "Web Optimized" which could also help.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Sorry for the delayed response. The problem is, I'm having problems even with my DVD Rips. An SD 20 minute TV Show still gives me problems.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Edit/Udpate - I upgraded to the ATV3, and am still having the same issues. Purchased content from iTunes plays fine, my own media doesn't, except when it's connected to an Ethernet cord. The problem is, there is no Ethernet cord where I do my primary watching of the ATV. But since purchased content works fine, this leads me to believe it's not a wifi issue.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
You can see the list with all of your content but it won't play or you can't even see the list?
If you can't even see the content it's probably a firewall issue.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I can see it fine, it just takes forever to load. Usually it's just the little buffering icon that comes up when I try to load one of my own files.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Files over the net are buffered and played. Files on your local network are streamed without a nice buffer.

Either upgrade your router or invest in some home plugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.