Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

artistinmemphis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
How are some of you designers and artists keeping up with your clients and friends in terms of contact lists?

I'm a landscape painter, and want to keep track of contacts, create labels to mail postcards for art shows, send batch emails for art invitations.

I don't need huge software with tons of options.

I'd be curious to find out what has worked for you.

I have some software (Artwork Archive) I'm using to archive my artwork, but it doesn't have email capability. Some artists I've talked with are using iContact for email, Bento or Filemaker for contacts.

Thanks.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I just kept it simple, used a word processor with an address label template. Then I kept it "groomed". Any new business contacts, bang, into the document. --And any returned postcards --boom, modify the list with changed addresses, etc. Once the main body of addresses had been entered it was pretty easy to maintain.

If you ever get an intern for a semester, this is something they could do.

I've since got Bento and haven't yet merged The List into it.

artistinmemphis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Thanks CrickettGrrl... now if I can just teach my trustworth dog to type,,, he comes with me when I go out painting.

If you ever get an intern for a semester, this is something they could do.

I've since got Bento and haven't yet merged The List into it.

Bento has lots of neat features. I couldn't figure out how to make a list of paintings with title info on one page though (consigment sheet for a gallery), it seems to only handle one file at a time and can't list the images together? My Bento trial ran out, so haven't pursued it.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Thanks CrickettGrrl... now if I can just teach my trustworth dog to type,,, he comes with me when I go out painting.

Heh, my studiodogs feel they do enough simply being muses. If I could strap brushes to their paws & get any meaningful work from them, I would.

Bento has lots of neat features. I couldn't figure out how to make a list of paintings with title info on one page though (consigment sheet for a gallery), it seems to only handle one file at a time and can't list the images together? My Bento trial ran out, so haven't pursued it.

A few months ago I downloaded an Artwork database template from Bento's Template Exchange. Unfortunately, none of the Bento help links are working, including the template exchange. I've downloaded a lot of stuff from that site.

But it's easy to add additional fields and you can look at things with list view, etc. Here's the sample:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-01-20 at 8.13.31 PM.JPG
    Screen shot 2013-01-20 at 8.13.31 PM.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
You might check out MadMimi, really simple e-mail/mailing list solution that's free to cheap depending on your list and mailing needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.