Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmyK

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
I just ordered a black otter is for the mini off amazon for $35

I have a Smart Cover/back buddy combo that I like but for trips I wanted something more... I saw the otter box at the store and was surprised I liked it... Just not the retail price.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
I use Otterbox on my mini. I find it is easier to hold. I've used OBox on all my iPads except #1 and all iPhones except 3GS. Great product and exceptional customer service. I consider it cheap insurance.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I use Otterbox on my mini. I find it is easier to hold. I've used OBox on all my iPads except #1 and all iPhones except 3GS. Great product and exceptional customer service. I consider it cheap insurance.

Cheap insurance? My insurance on my iPad mini is less for 1 year than the cost of an Otterbox. That's cheap insurance.

OP, you'll probably get a lot more help if this is moved to the iPad Accessories section.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Cheap insurance? My insurance on my iPad mini is less for 1 year than the cost of an Otterbox. That's cheap insurance.

OP, you'll probably get a lot more help if this is moved to the iPad Accessories section.

Well, at least the cases lasts more then one year, and no mini return hassle. :rolleyes:

And yes, should have posted in Accessories, forgot all about that section.
Mod's moved it anyway (thanks!)

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Well, at least the cases lasts more then one year, and no mini return hassle. :rolleyes:

And yes, should have posted in Accessories, forgot all about that section.
Mod's moved it anyway (thanks!)

There's no hassle when Apple swaps it in-store. :) I use a case, but it was cheap just to preserve my resale.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I just ordered a black otter is for the mini off amazon for $35

I have a Smart Cover/back buddy combo that I like but for trips I wanted something more... I saw the otter box at the store and was surprised I liked it... Just not the retail price.

I found out recently that Best buy will price match Amazon. I got my OtterBox case for the mini for $40 and didn't have to wait, and I knew that it was new and if I have an issue can can go right back to the store and not have to wait deal with an Amazon vendor.

AmyK

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
I found out recently that Best buy will price match Amazon. I got my OtterBox case for the mini for $40 and didn't have to wait, and I knew that it was new and if I have an issue can can go right back to the store and not have to wait deal with an Amazon vendor.

No way!!! Damn it! That's where I was looking at it.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Classic urban legend. Please offer proof you even cover the cost of the case at resale time.

Well, the case was only $20 so it's safe to assume that if my iPad mini was scratched up, I'd get $20 less. :) Honestly, getting the money back for the case isn't a deal breaker to me. I just like to provide the next owner with a brand new looking device. (Although, I did get a 32 LTE for 459 so I'll end up getting almost what I paid for it.)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
One of the key features making it desirable for folks is the portability, size and weight of the Mini. That said, doesn't the otterbox case detract from that? I assume it adds both size and weight and makes the Mini somewhat less portable as well. The price on Amazon is still around $35 though and that is pretty darn good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.