Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
Having a little buyers remorse... I like it so far but I'm thinking maybe I should have gotten the mini

I use it for simple stuff... Games, surf the net, movies, email.......

I feel it's to big to use in bed or to hold up for extended periods of time

Has anyone switched from the retina to the mini?

Thoughts and experiences please.......

saporiti

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2013
Portugal
I can't help you, but sure gonna stick around because I'm about to get one (Mini or Retina) :D And could use some life experiences

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
When i got mine a month ago, i kept jumping back and forth between the mini and full size, but i got a good deal on a 3rd gen iPad, so i chose that. I wondered if i'd made the right choice after feeling the weight of it, but honestly, it doesnt bother me. People act like it's ridiculously heavy, but as long as you aren't just holding it up in the air for long periods of time, it's fine. Usually i have mine braced against my leg if i'm in bed or on the couch. And it's perfect for what i use it for (surfing, gaming, twitter, facebook, youtube, etc)

I think the Mini is a beautiful device, love the design and form factor, but for what i wanted it for, the iPad is perfect.

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Having a little buyers remorse... I like it so far but I'm thinking maybe I should have gotten the mini

I've gone back and forth myself. Wish the mini wasn't such a great device so my decision could have been eaiser. I had the mini wifi, the iPad 4, the mini wifi + cellular, and the ipad 4 again. The mini is so easy to take everywhere. The problem is you've got to have great eyes because the text is so tiny. If I had young eyes, I would still have the mini because I vowed to stay with it. Sadly I just can't see the itsy bitsy text. I had to pinch & zoom on almost everything. That was the only problem I had with the mini. If you have pretty good vision, the mini is a great choice.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I just ordered a 32gb cellular Mini today. I sold some equipment and had enough to buy it. I already have an iPad3 which I like, but I'm finding that I just don't carry it around a lot because it's somewhat heavy and bulky. I've looked at the display on the Mini. My vision is good, and I can tell that the display is not quite as sharp as the retina on the iPad3/4, but it's not that bad and looks perfectly usable and readable to me. I had an iPad2 before I got the 3, and it's better than it was. I never once had a negative thought about the iPad2 screen. I think the smaller size and weight of the Mini will make up for the slightly less sharp display. If I find that not to be true, I can always sell it. Looking forward to getting it :)

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
You should totally have bought the Mini if you feel the regular iPad too big and to heavy. The Mini have a nice size and it's half of the weight.

You don't need the power of the iPad 4 and in your case for web browsing maybe those 1,8 inches between Mini an iPad 4, and the sharper look of the text thanks to the Retina display, make the difference. Anyway the iPad Mini is perfectly usable for web browsing too.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I had an iPad1 for 3 years and then bought an iPad 4...walked into an Apple store and they just got iPad minis in...I bought a mini...took it home, a week later the iPad 4 got returned...the mini wins hands down for me!!! :)

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
I've tried them all and decided to stick with the 2 for my full size iPad.

The mini was okay but I preferred the Kindle Fire HD. Significantly cheaper and works very well for me when the larger iPad is too big to take out.

Try the 2, you may be surprised. Retina was a nice to have but no big deal. Slight additional weight and thickness of both the 3 and 4 made them uncomfortable for me compared with the 2.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

I find that increasing thickness helps. I fold the smart cover in half, and onto the back. That gives a more solid hold for one handed holding for extended periods and I'm fine.

Holding it naked, tapered edge buries itself in my palm causing numbness. Maybe that sounds familiar?

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
I had a little bit of a issue deciding when I got my new ipad.. I had the ipad 2 gave it to my wife ( she loves it thin and light ) ( But her eyes are better than mine LOL ) I picked up a 16 GB Retina and had buyers remorse but not for the Mini but to the GB.. Swapped it out for the 32 and added apple care .. My daughter came over with her mini and I was HAPPY with my Retina! The retina screen blew hers away! Text is way too small and it didnt have the quality I would expect from Apple compared to our Ipad 2 and Retina! It just felt cheap compared to the 9.7 .. Now When the Retina Mini comes out that may be something to look into! Every IOS device in this day and age SHOULD HAVE RETINA or OLED! Just my opinion! KEEP your Retina till next year then have a look at the Mini Retina and either get that and have both if you can or sell your 32 Retina .. Im sure it will bring in good $$ to downsize to the Retina Mini!

S

syd430

Anything becomes uncomfortable holding for extended periods of time. Try holding your arms out with nothing in them for a couple of hours. The weight of your arms alone would tire you out. There is obviously a differenence in how long you can hold an ipad 4 comfortably vs the mini, but putting your ipad down and propping it up is the only way you're to eliminate it completely. The weight of a phone on the other hand is far more important, because you really need to hold it most of the time.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
In march the iPad 5th gen will be lighter and thus easier to hold.

It might hit a sweet spot.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
I've gone back and forth myself. Wish the mini wasn't such a great device so my decision could have been eaiser. I had the mini wifi, the iPad 4, the mini wifi + cellular, and the ipad 4 again. The mini is so easy to take everywhere. The problem is you've got to have great eyes because the text is so tiny. If I had young eyes, I would still have the mini because I vowed to stay with it. Sadly I just can't see the itsy bitsy text. I had to pinch & zoom on almost everything. That was the only problem I had with the mini. If you have pretty good vision, the mini is a great choice.

Same problem here. Tried my parents' mini the other day. App icons seemed tiny and I tried typing in the address bar and was horrible trying to just click on it. My fingers are just too fat for the mini I guess:(

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
In march the iPad 5th gen will be lighter and thus easier to hold.

It might hit a sweet spot.

Wouldn't hold my breath waiting on the iPad 5 to show up in March. I just don't think that's gonna happen.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I have iPad 4 and mini.

The mini is best to be used lying in bed, when standing, playing driving game. The 4 is better for use at work, when sitting down, working on documents, typing emails.

Each is good for something, I find that I can't replace one with another.

My advise: which ever one you get, there'll be time you wish you have the other.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
When use in bed, put it on your tummy. I did just fine whether portrait or landscape.

Ipad is not heavy, if you think its heavy then you already made ur decision on Ipad mini. Done!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.