Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wise Potato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
I certainly like the smaller form factor, the non-retina display and inferior chip are a bummer but i would sacrifice those for the smaller iPad Mini because it can fit in my pocket (tried it) and it's also much more comfortable to read on.

My ONLY concern is future updates, I never owned an Apple product so i don't know for how long they support it, i bought a Sony Ericsson less than a year ago and Sony already decided to stop updating it, and i was stuck with the incredibily laggy ICS, it literally takes 10 minutes JUST to unlock the phone and try to call a number, and there is almost a 1.5 seconds delay in touch. :confused:

I had to flash it to install Jelly bean, i don't want to make the same mistake again, i don't usually upgrade my phone and other tech devices often, maybe once every 3 years, or more. (my laptop is 5 years old and it's still good enough for me).

How do you think the iPad mini will keep up with the latest games and apps, let's say in the next 2 years?

And is it comfortable to read on the iPad 4? because if the mini isn't going to handle the latest games i may want to get a normal iPad instead (which is significantly more future proof with A6X chip).

Last edited:

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
The iPad Mini and iPod Touch 5 will probably be the only devices that have A5 chips in them being sold. Currently A5 makes up the majority but next year it will be A6 and A7.

So iOS 7 will work ok.

Don't expect future iOS updates to be optimized for the iPad Mini or any other iOS devices unless they're the new ones.

Really, Apple should have included the A6 chip.

Eventually the iPad Mini is going to become what the iPad 1 is today. iOS not optimized for it and lackluster specs will make it a lot worse.

Last edited:
S

syd430

The A5/A5X probably accounts the vast majority of ios devices out there (4S, ipad2, ipad 3). As a result this generation will probably be supported for atleast another 2 years.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If I had to guess, I'd say that the mini1 will officially support iOS7 and partial support for iOS8. I'm actually happy that the mini had tge same basic specs as the ipad2, cause that means my iPad will be supported longer

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
All technology will go obsolete within 3 years. Yes, it is 'future proof' for a few years..

I concur with three years, at the most.

A trend I've experienced is that an app gets updated and suddenly that update requires the next OS level.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'll most likely get the next two updates, with some functionality missing from the last one.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Having only 512MB of RAM might cause problem in the future if iOS gets more resource intensive, as new version often do. The original iPad has only 256MB. Newer chip is of course always better in terms of support but I think A5 shouldn't be problem for couple more years because of its performance or because it would be missing some vital technically... Then again, in the Mac Apple killed Core Duo while even Windows 8 runs on it without problems.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
It's not

It's not.

In fact, nothing is.

Don't buy any consumer electronics.

Ever.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I certainly like the smaller form factor, the non-retina display and inferior chip are a bummer but i would sacrifice those for the smaller iPad Mini because it can fit in my pocket (tried it) and it's also much more comfortable to read on.
How do you think the iPad mini will keep up with the latest games and apps, let's say in the next 2 years?

And is it comfortable to read on the iPad 4? because if the mini isn't going to handle the latest games i may want to get a normal iPad instead (which is significantly more future proof with A6X chip).
I would say at least 2 years.

As for reading, hands down the Mini is better for holding for reading in most situations. How would the iPad 4 be any easier to read on than the 3 or the 2 when they're basically the same size?

----------

It was obsolete three years ago. Now it's just plain junk.
I wonder what feature is lacking that you wanted? Retina? It's not junk and it's not obsolete.

Wise Potato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
It's not.

In fact, nothing is.

Don't buy any consumer electronics.

Ever.

Not really, like i said my laptop is 5 years old and it's still fast enough for me, some electronics last longer than others.

I meant how long do you guys think Apple and developers will keep supporting it, not if it's going to work with all apps forever.

I appreciate your help good sir.

----------

It was obsolete three years ago. Now it's just plain junk.

Three years ago iPad 1 wasn't even out yet IIRC...

Wise Potato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Well according to some of you guys and Apple's history of supporting old products it's probably going to be supported for at least 2 years, and that's good enough for me.

I think i expressed myself stupidly above, I'm not a cheap ***, and if my electronics aren't keeping up i will upgrade them, if my laptop stops supporting the latest software i will replace it.

What i meant to say is that i don't care about owning the latest tech devices just for the sake of it, it doesn't bother me if my stuff is old as long as it's working.

Anyway, i decided to buy the iPad 4 because of the retina display, i just tried my friend's iPad 3 and i liked the display, tbh the iPad is pretty portable.

Thanks all, i really appreciate your help.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Ipad 4 needs the extra power for the retina display.
Ipad 3 relatively underpowered for its screen
Ipad 2 and Ipad mini will not be significantly outclassed because at the moment, there is not that much difference to the higher end models (due to the need to drive the retina screen).

So the Ipad 2 and Mini will be good for a few more years...

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I'll most likely upgrade to the next generation anyway, so enjoying my iPad Mini in the moment, don't care about future proofing....

darkloki

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Orange County California
Considering where the Samsung Note 2 is currently at, I'd tell you that the Ipad Mini is already behind right now... And I'm not a Samsung or Android Fanboy, I own an Iphone 5, Macbook Pro 15" Retina, and an Ipad 3...

And I still wouldn't touch an Ipad Mini... And for the individuals who keep on referencing the Ipad 2, here is the difference (You Bought your Ipad 2 a few months/year ago) and not yesterday. And if you did buy your Ipad 2 yesterday then you tried to save a few dollars. Truth be told, I don't believe any apple users can say I bought Apple Product ___ because I tried to save a few dollars. I for one, am not one of those individuals if I was I would have taken a different route all together that doesn't start with (Apple) ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.