Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kennyap

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Cayman Islands
Too bad you're wrong cuz that's not always the case. :). I got my 2011 27" iMac i7 free of charge from Apple. It was a warranty replacement from my old 2009 iMac. :D Apple sent me the top of the line with a 3.4Ghz 2GB GPU with 16GB ram which was much better than my 2009 model. Top that off my new iMac came brand new in the box, made in the USA. I could easily sell it and get plenty of money to buy the 2012 model but I don't want it. ;)

So you're not getting the 2012 iMac because you don't want it. Ok. I'm sure everyone here is fine with that. I guess we'll all just have to be ok with that. :D

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I would say you're the one who seems a little riled up here. I take it you aren't/can't get a 2012 iMac at this time. I also know you haven't looked at the 680MX offering. FYI, I was speaking about the speed increase and also the cuda cores in this gpu;) Not game performance which is the first thing someone who doesn't wish to consider the offering would mention. As I mentioned in my last post, the 2012 iMac is a serious upgrade in performance (video/graphics) and design over the previous generation.

The 680MX is a great graphics card. You basically have an underclocked GTX680. On top of that 680MX seems to be very OC friendly. I experimented today with overclocking 200mhz core/300mhz ram (didn't want to push it any further), and I could still play with ca. 80C temps and only a medium high fan speed. This resulted in an increase of 1200+ points in 3DMark DX11 (from P6412 to P7619).
Not only do you have a great work machine, but a full blown gaming rig (well, almost.. :) )

Last edited:

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
So you're not getting the 2012 iMac because you don't want it. Ok. I'm sure everyone here is fine with that. I guess we'll all just have to be ok with that. :D

Why don't you two take this conversation private; keep your smug comments to yourselves.

kennyap

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Cayman Islands
Why don't you two take this conversation private; keep your smug comments to yourselves.

The basis for this whole thread should not be as contentious as it has been for a few people, including myself. nosnhojm, thank you for the suggestion, I agree with that.

----------

The 680MX is a great graphics card. You basically have an underclocked GTX680. On top of that 680MX seems to very OC friendly. I experimented today with overclocking 200mhz core/300mhz ram (didn't want to push it any further), and I could still play with ca. 80C temps and only a medium high fan speed. This resulted in an increase of 1200+ points in FutureMark DX11.
Not only do you have a great work machine, but a full blown gaming rig (well, almost.. :) )

Nice. I know this card is extremely powerful, was unaware it could be overclocked. Haven't done that in many years.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Too bad you're wrong cuz that's not always the case. :). I got my 2011 27" iMac i7 free of charge from Apple. It was a warranty replacement from my old 2009 iMac. :D Apple sent me the top of the line with a 3.4Ghz 2GB GPU with 16GB ram which was much better than my 2009 model. Top that off my new iMac came brand new in the box, made in the USA. I could easily sell it and get plenty of money to buy the 2012 model but I don't want it. ;)

Did Apple replace the 24 inch (early 2009 model) or the 27 inch (late 2009 model) for you?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Did Apple replace the 24 inch (early 2009 model) or the 27 inch (late 2009 model) for you?

Actually both. I originally bought the 2007 24" and over the course of 2 years it had a series of issues and it qualified for the 3 times repaired rule and I got upgraded to the 2009 27". Well as luck would have it I had several issues with the 2009 model, most of these issues were with the screens on both models. The 27" had been repaired 4 times and Apple damaged it in service and replaced me with my now 2011 top of the line iMac 27". :) I haven't had to buy a new iMac in years thanks to buying Applecare.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
It's like people who buy last years mode/style of car...usually it's a cost thing. Gotta justify to yourself when you can't have the best one.

Whatever are you talking about? I just bought a 2001 BMW M3... and it's way better than the 2013 everyone else is buying now. I don't need no GPS or CD silliness, my 10 year old model is better, haha.

Sorry I just had to say it, lol. Seriously, one would have to be a buffoon to think their 2011 iMac is superior in ANY way to the 2012. Seriously, an OPTICAL drive? Sony called, they have another new technology to sell you, LOL. Bottom line, nobody wants an optical drive and if they do they can have one for $20, or if it must be silver and apple logo'd, $79

Tofray

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Optical drives are funny things, you know. Useful for burning OS install discs when you can't make bootable USBs on a Mac, and your PC's optical drive reads discs fine but refuses to burn them. Which reminds me, I have a 2008 iMac lying around, unused. Trying to decide what would be the best thing to use it for - I upgraded it to a 1TB HDD and 4 GB RAM. I could sell it, I suppose, but I have minimal experience at it. Need to study the market first. :eek:

You guys have completely distorted the OP's statement...Nowhere in this original thread does he say, "2011 is far superior" or "way better" or "chicks dig me more because I have a 2011"...He says he's "glad" he has a 2011 over a 2012. Is that really the equivalent to putting people down for having a 2012??

I have a 2011. Am I jealous of people who bought the FAR better 2012 model? Yes. Does that mean I go posting threads over how my 2011 model is a far better purchase because of a disc drive? No. I'm happy for anyone who bought a 2012 machine, and hope they enjoy all the extra horsepower it has. Maybe the OP should do the same.

Again, you're reaching dude...and putting words into his mouth.

It's like people who buy last years mode/style of car...usually it's a cost thing. Gotta justify to yourself when you can't have the best one.

This is ridiculous...It's a bit snobby to insinuate that people "can't" buy a 2012 as if they're standing in line at the soup kitchen vs. you rich cats who are cleaning your shiny 2012 screens with $100 bills. I "can" buy a 2012 for an extra $1k over what I bought my 2011. I "chose" not to, based on how well the '11 fits my needs...for a grand less! Does deciding not to spend frivolously equate to being poor?? Or that I "can't" scrape up enough pennies to buy a '12? Sheesh.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
The 2011 is still a good computer, and will get most people by just fine. I like to always have the newest and best, and that's fine too. Again, it's like vehicles...just got a new LX570 and love it, but most people could get by with the one I traded in that was 2 years old. It's what you can do, and get by your wife. ;)

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
well one thing the 2011 model can do is wall mount. there will be no wall mounting with the 2012. sorry unless you purchase that lame adapter so the foot is hanging there. yea that will look real nice on a wall haha.

oh well. all good things come to an end.

Tofray

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
The 2011 is still a good computer, and will get most people by just fine. I like to always have the newest and best, and that's fine too. Again, it's like vehicles...just got a new lx570 and love it, but most people could get by with the one I traded in that was 2 years old. It's what you can do, and get by your wife. ;)

Well, at least you cleared up any possibility that I was mistaken about the snobby tone of your last post...Congrats on your new lx570 and for the blessing you gave to the little people, who bought your 2 year old model. It probably kills you to have to drive though, instead of fly around everywhere in your Learjet, huh?!

I don't just "get by" with my top of the line 2011 model...It still runs every program I throw at it, at max settings...Maybe it won't in 2 years, but it does now...If you paid attention to actual benchmarks, you'd know that the top of the line 2011 model still out performs all but the top of the line 2012 model.

And it's not "what you can do", it's what one CHOOSES to do...again, a bit of an arrogant statement, but I'm sure it's difficult to see that because your attention is focused on eating caviar, while your butler massages your feet. :D

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
You guys have completely distorted the OP's statement...Nowhere in this original thread does he say, "2011 is far superior" or "way better" or "chicks dig me more because I have a 2011"...He says he's "glad" he has a 2011 over a 2012. Is that really the equivalent to putting people down for having a 2012??

This is ridiculous...It's a bit snobby to insinuate that people "can't" buy a 2012 as if they're standing in line at the soup kitchen vs. you rich cats who are cleaning your shiny 2012 screens with $100 bills. I "can" buy a 2012 for an extra $1k over what I bought my 2011. I "chose" not to, based on how well the '11 fits my needs...for a grand less! Does deciding not to spend frivolously equate to being poor?? Or that I "can't" scrape up enough pennies to buy a '12? Sheesh.

So, you're an "11 owner, huh... I see.

Haha. Just joking.

2011's are great machines. If I didn't have a 2012 I'd def want a 2011!

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK

I understand what your getting at. I think the thing is that, especially at a time when people have just spent a lot of money on the 2012 model, to go and make a post alluding to the 2011 model being better because of a disc drive is going to be met with hostility. Sure, the OP didn't directly say it - but he might as well have.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I bought the 2011 iMac and the biggest thing I regret it not having is USB 3.0. I made the mistake of hoping for thunderbolt peripherals to make up for my needs, but they are limited. Closest thing to what I want is the Belkin thunderbolt dock that is not out yet.

I don't regret buying my 2011 21.5 iMac, as it was the newest model at the time, but I would love to trade the integrated DVD drive for USB 3.0.

I am still hopeful that a reasonable USB 3.0 thunderbolt add on will be developed, but I really feel like my 2011 model is lacking with only USB 2.0.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
I can't wait for the 'I'm glad I got my 2012 iMac instead of the 2013 iMac' thread. :rolleyes:

I would be glad to stick with my 2012 iMac as much as you lot should with the 2011 iMac. They aren't a million miles away from the spec now, but some smugness from both sides we could all do without.;)

bjewett

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Champaign, IL
Bring on the Belkin adapter

I bought the 2011 iMac and the biggest thing I regret it not having is USB 3.0. I made the mistake of hoping for thunderbolt peripherals to make up for my needs, but they are limited. Closest thing to what I want is the Belkin thunderbolt dock that is not out yet.

Yeah, USB2 vs. 3 is the only reason I'm really holding out for the 2012 iMac ... otherwise I think 2012 would meet my needs. I'm waiting on the Belkin as well ... "1st quarter" can't happen soon enough. Without that functionality I just don't find TB to be terribly useful unless you are buying TB-enabled devices, which right now are pricey.

obsoletepower

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Optical drives are funny things, you know. Useful for burning OS install discs when you can't make bootable USBs on a Mac, and your PC's optical drive reads discs fine but refuses to burn them. Which reminds me, I have a 2008 iMac lying around, unused. Trying to decide what would be the best thing to use it for - I upgraded it to a 1TB HDD and 4 GB RAM. I could sell it, I suppose, but I have minimal experience at it. Need to study the market first. :eek:

Threads like this are unnecessarily taking up space in the forums view. If you are trying to justify buying the previous model when you could have waited a little bit and gotten a better spec'd machine for the same amount of money that's fine but there are dozens of other threads just like this so we are well covered for pointless rants. Built-in optical drives are a nuisance because on the iMac there are frequent reports of these failing which requires that you bring the whole computer in for service, wasting time and effort. I personally like having the external one because I can put it out of the way when I don't need it and if it fails I won't be without a computer for weeks.

Tofray

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Threads like this are unnecessarily taking up space in the forums view. If you are trying to justify buying the previous model when you could have waited a little bit and gotten a better spec'd machine for the same amount of money that's fine but there are dozens of other threads just like this so we are well covered for pointless rants. Built-in optical drives are a nuisance because on the iMac there are frequent reports of these failing which requires that you bring the whole computer in for service, wasting time and effort. I personally like having the external one because I can put it out of the way when I don't need it and if it fails I won't be without a computer for weeks.

This amounted to "All opinions are a waste of time...By the way, here is my opinion."

obsoletepower

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
This amounted to "All opinions are a waste of time...By the way, here is my opinion."

Just sick of people bitching about that optical drive. They keep getting hung up on this one thing which for them seems to justify paying the same amount for lesser specs. If it was cheaper then I would understand it but to say the lack of optical drive is THE reason for getting the 2011 version instead is just ridiculous. I wasn't saying ALL opinions are invalid just that this optical drive rant is getting pretty old.

People complain every time a media format gets canned. It happened with the vinyl records, the magnetic tape, floppy drive etc and it will happen in the future. I don't think paying $70 extra for the external drive is that unheard of and you can easily lay it on top of the stand so it will not take up any desk space.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
You're 2011 will get you by. Keep telling yourself that. It's ok dude, I'm over the 2012 newness already.

youeyemind

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2013
Well, at least you cleared up any possibility that I was mistaken about the snobby tone of your last post...Congrats on your new lx570 and for the blessing you gave to the little people, who bought your 2 year old model. It probably kills you to have to drive though, instead of fly around everywhere in your Learjet, huh?!

I don't just "get by" with my top of the line 2011 model...It still runs every program I throw at it, at max settings...Maybe it won't in 2 years, but it does now...If you paid attention to actual benchmarks, you'd know that the top of the line 2011 model still out performs all but the top of the line 2012 model.

And it's not "what you can do", it's what one CHOOSES to do...again, a bit of an arrogant statement, but I'm sure it's difficult to see that because your attention is focused on eating caviar, while your butler massages your feet. :D

Brilliant post!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.