Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I don't get why everybody needs Retina. I have iPad mini, and I also saw Retina displays... it is not much of a difference when you don't see them right next to each other. Despite that, Retina will reduce Battery and Computing power.

I hope there will be no Retina iPad soon.

It's a huge difference. I look at the screen 100% of the time I use my iPad. Yet I've never killed my battery and struggled with computing power. I'll take Retina.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Why ? What's so special about 2048x1536 in a 7.9" size ?

Good question. It's the partly pixel density (320+ ppi) which will be higher than in any iPad released yet. It will have around the same pixel density as the retina display iPhones, but 4-5x the total number of pixels because of the bigger screen. Besides, if Apple is going to use the same CPU in the next iPad mini as in the iPad 4, it better have a battery of the same size too; and if they'll use a lesser CPU, the performance will be sluggish.

I'm not saying this is impossible or anything, but I do consider it unlikely to happen in 2013. I wish I would get to see it by Q2 already, though.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Good question. It's the partly pixel density (320+ ppi) which will be higher than in any iPad released yet. It will have around the same pixel density as the retina display iPhones, but 4-5x the total number of pixels because of the bigger screen. Besides, if Apple is going to use the same CPU in the next iPad mini as in the iPad 4, it better have a battery of the same size too; and if they'll use a lesser CPU, the performance will be sluggish.

I'm not saying this is impossible or anything, but I do consider it unlikely to happen in 2013. I wish I would get to see it by Q2 already, though.

It doesn't need the same GPU as the iPad 4, only the iPad 3, so an A6 would be good enough (and maybe there will be a die shrunk TSMC version by then to put in it). And the A6's CPU cores of course would be much faster than that of the iPad 3. Perhaps the screen will need less power due to IGZO and being physically smaller than the iPad's. I don't think they would need a battery as large as in the iPad 4; they might need a larger one than the original Mini but not grossly so.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

We've got 440+ ppi phones coming, running 1920x1080 screens. FullHD phones seem to be the "hit thing" for 2013.

And you think Apple can't shove a 2048x1536 screen inside a 8" tablet ?

----------

And the screen might even have lower specs to keep the cost down, remember the 4th generation iPod Touch, it had a retina display but lower specs than the iPhone 4 screen. They might do something similar here.

That would be serious crap. The 4th gen iPT had a TN panel screen vs the iPhone's IPS screen. A TN panel iPad Mini would be junk sorry, they're better off keeping the non-retina display.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I don't think they need to cut any corners to keep costs down. One look at the price and features and it's VERY clear they built PLENTY of margin into the iPad mini

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Sharp is state owned and has to report these lower orders but i think it has nothing to do with much lower sales than expected, Apple ordered extreem large quantities for seasonal sales and are now cutting these back to normal proportions.

Also, if Apple want's to use the new low power panels from Sharp it will need to make room in the production chain. Sharp is the preferred manufacturer for new products so it will keep older models with Samsung and future models with Sharp.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
We've got 440+ ppi phones coming, running 1920x1080 screens. FullHD phones seem to be the "hit thing" for 2013.

Even if they can shove it into the iPad mini and make it work without any sluggishness and still have the same practical battery life (which at the moment looks like a catch-22 but OK), why would they want to do it this year already? So far, they're unable to meet the demand for the current iPad mini.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
You didn't follow my original post which is what your problem is. I don't and didn't need you to pull up definitions of what a closed system is in the industry. I know exactly what it is. My original post wasn't trying to put out the actual information of a what the industry considers to be a closed system. Your problem is you don't READ and then you make up lies and refuse to own up to it, such as you saying that I said MS uses Windows to push their other products. I never said any of the such, so you either lied or you misread my post entirely, which one? Are you big enough to admit YOU were wrong?

I guess when I attend Macworld at the end of the month and come back here with info on new products you'll tell me I was wrong about what I saw too right?:rolleyes:

He won't own up to being wrong in any way. Read/review other topics, he's usually like this. Just forget about him and move on

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
And investors will overreact once again.

Like they did when the stock broke $700?

----------

That's not what he said.

He said that a 7 inch tablet cannot properly express tablet apps. Does it matter? The guy would say anything to get money.

----------

Steve chose his words very carefully.

Yes he did. And the words were intended to create false impressions that would yield ever-larger profits for Apple, and not to convey any truth or reality.

Fer crissakes, the guy was a wealthy huckster. He was neither prescient nor a saint. His main goal was to take money out of your pocket and put it into the pockets on Wall Street.

"...the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps."

--Steve Jobs

----------

Jobs talked about 7 inches tablets,

"...the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps."

Yes, he was talking about 7 inch tablets, but he was talking about 8 inch tablets and 9 inch tablets too.

He claimed that a tablet like the iMini could not express great tablet apps. I guess Steve was just a fool, eh? Or maybe he was full of ****? Or a bald faced liar?

Or a typical money-grubbing corporate CEO type of guy? Dunno.

But he was not a saint. On that we can agree.

----------

Except that makes no sense.

I think it was to be expected that iPad mini sales will cannibilize full size iPad sales, so shifting towards iPad mini displays instead of 9.7" displays makes sense.

I just don't see the problem here.

Each time a mini cannibalizes a sale of the full-priced product, Apple loses potential profits. Thus, their total profits fall, all other factors being equal.

Lost profits are a big problem for organizations whose entire purpose is to generate the greatest possible profits.

----------

The price is right, the lighter weight is almost perfect, and there is still plenty of room on the screen such that it is easy to use.

Maybe, but it is undisputedly true that the iPad Mini cannot express great tablet apps. Or so claimed Steve Jobs.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I don't think they need to cut any corners to keep costs down. One look at the price and features and it's VERY clear they built PLENTY of margin into the iPad mini

errr.. really.. did you ever look at what is include in the cost of building a product or listen to last q earning call when Apple management discussed Ipad mini gross margin? This is about the 7th times I posted this section of the earning call transcript. Everyone want to pretend to be expert of gross margin without even trying to read the quarterly report or listen to earning conference call..

http://seekingalpha.com/article/952...arnings-call-transcript?page=5&p=qanda&l=last

We head into this holiday quarter with the strongest iPhone line-up that we have ever had with the iPhone 4 starting at three in the subsidized markets. We also added the iPad Mini to our iPad line-up. The iPad Mini has the full iPad experience, and we priced it aggressively at $329, delivering incredible value to our customers. Its gross margin is significantly below the corporate average.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
WSJ is a respected institution in financial journalism. Reuters is just a news aggregator. .

Reuters (pronounced /ˈrɔɪtərz/) is an international news agency ...

Reuters employs several thousand journalists ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuters

----------

Ever heard of an opinion?? Yeah, you seem to always have one. Allow someone else to have one.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But nobody is entitled to their own facts.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Look, that's just not true. The iPad Mini, while adding new users to Apple, will also have replaced the regular iPad for others. Cross-model cannibilization is not surprising. Claiming that the iPad Mini 100% replaces the regular iPad or 100% brings in new users are both wrong positions.

It's a little of both.

You really think so? I'm never buying a Mini; to me it's useless, and many other people I know agree with me. On the other hand, I know some people (mainly women) who are skipping the currently available models and waiting for the iPad Mini with Retina Display.

It's a matter of preference, the iPad Mini is not for everyone.

Apple released the iPad Mini to please that crowd. Jobs was not too interested about it, but who knows...

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
errr.. really.. did you ever look at what is include in the cost of building a product or listen to last q earning call when Apple management discussed Ipad mini gross margin? This is about the 7th times I posted this section of the earning call transcript. Everyone want to pretend to be expert of gross margin without even trying to read the quarterly report or listen to earning conference call..

http://seekingalpha.com/article/952...arnings-call-transcript?page=5&p=qanda&l=last

No, I just see that it has a higher price point and lower specs than it's competition.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada

Going any higher now will start to seriously compromise battery life. Current GPUs that are able to push more than 1920x1080 - 2048x1536 pixels gobble power. So perhaps it's not the display technology but rather GPUs/CPUs? And really, is there a need to go any higher - will the consumer see a difference?

xtacee1990

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013

Are you talking about the HTC Butterfly? From what I heard from the Android camp it's a sluggish laggy phone. NOt a smart idea to throw in a full HD screen just to decorate the specs sheet, doesnt matter what the processor is.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

----------

That would be serious crap. The 4th gen iPT had a TN panel screen vs the iPhone's IPS screen. A TN panel iPad Mini would be junk sorry, they're better off keeping the non-retina display.

I was just giving an example, calm down friend :) Just pointing out to keep the cost lower they could and possibly would use a lower spec'd screen.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Even if they can shove it into the iPad mini and make it work without any sluggishness and still have the same practical battery life (which at the moment looks like a catch-22 but OK), why would they want to do it this year already? So far, they're unable to meet the demand for the current iPad mini.

Where do you get this ? I can walk into a number of stores in the next 5 minutes and walk out with a Mini of my choice no problem.

What demand isn't being met exactly ?

Why wouldn't they make it retina this year and sell even more, you know, to the people waiting for a Retina Mini ?

----------

You really think so? I'm never buying a Mini; to me it's useless, and many other people I know agree with me. On the other hand, I know some people (mainly women) who are skipping the currently available models and waiting for the iPad Mini with Retina Display.

It's a matter of preference, the iPad Mini is not for everyone.

Apple released the iPad Mini to please that crowd. Jobs was not too interested about it, but who knows...

You really think no people that bought Minis come from the regular iPad ? You really think this is completely Black or White ?

Sorry, nothing further to discuss here, I don't do fantasy.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Like the bald-faced lie that the PowerMac G5 was the "first 64-bit desktop" - when it wasn't the first, and it couldn't run any 64-bit software.

I didn't know about that one.

Why do people have a favorable attitude towards such a man? From everything I've seen, he had one positive attribute: He knew how to take huge amounts of money from consumers and give it to the Hedge Funds.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
He won't own up to being wrong in any way. Read/review other topics, he's usually like this. Just forget about him and move on

I don't own up when there's nothing to own up to. The original sub-thread was started by a post by someone claiming Android being open was the reason for its success and we started talking about Windows being closed as a counter.

Henry came in with a claim of ecosystems (Exchange, Office, Sharepoint) to claim as the reason Windows is closed. I told him that wasn't the case, then he wants me to admit I'm wrong about... I don't even know what.

I simply pointed out to him we were discussing open/closed in the sense of Eric S. Raymond's The Cathedral and the Bazaar.

So will you own up to being wrong ? Will Henry ? :rolleyes: I'm not expecting anything, don't even know why I bothered to reply to you, I simply ignored Henry's prior delusions.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
No, I just see that it has a higher price point and lower specs than it's competition.

But does the competition make products that are magical? You can't put a price tag on that.

xtacee1990

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
No, I was talking about the handsets being shown at CES, amongst them the Xperia Z :

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z-5204.php

Oh the Xperia Z, the one that was called out during preview videos for being sluggish despite sporting one of the most powerful processors in the world?
And I'm sorry but Sony smartphones have terrible displays and laggy UI. Source? Former owner of the Xperia S and watched a lot of reviews of the Xperia T.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Oh the Xperia Z, the one that was called out during preview videos for being sluggish despite sporting one of the most powerful processors in the world?
And I'm sorry but Sony smartphones have terrible displays and laggy UI. Source? Former owner of the Xperia S and watched a lot of reviews of the Xperia T.

Most powerful processor in the world ? What are you on ? It's just using an Adreno 320 GPU, which has been shown slower than Imagination Technologies SGX543MP4 used in iOS devices... :confused:

And the reviews I've seen don't seem to mention "sluggish".

Wait, tell me right now, are you one of those people that just don't like Android and can't discuss things objectively ? Tell me now, I don't want to get into endless, futile debates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.