Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
After decent service where I live and the surrounding areas for 4 years... My coverage has tanked. AT&T says there's nothing wrong with the towers around me. I have no service in most of my house and no useable data for miles when driving near my house. I'm on a family plan, get a great discount, and have "unlimited" data. I had to get a new iPhone 5 bc my first one had camera issues but the reception issues stayed the same. I could join my husband and create a family plan with him on Verizon but I lose my better pricing and unlimited.

Most people don't even have my home number to try me there so it really is a problem for me. When I'm at home or driving locally my kids schools can't usually reach me anymore. AT&T said they'd send me a microcell... But that won't help when I'm out of the house. Would you force AT&T to get you out of the contract or would you stay?

PDXPean

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2012
My parents in NE Ohio were having the same issues with AT&T. They had perfect reception in their home for years until the beginning of the year. All calls were dropped. The local AT&T store said that there was no issue with the surrounding towers and that their service should not have changed for the worse.

Long story short - today they signed up for Verizon.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Maybe I should mention that the same thing happened at my parents house about 2 years ago... They got a microcell... Which slightly improved their in house reception but I don't think microcells work all that well. They even hired someone to confirm it was set up correctly. You can be in the room or room next to it and still get spotty coverage.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
That sucks OP. I'd be grieved to give up an unlimited data plan but if you can't use it then its no good. If you're under contract I'd try to get out of it--or you could just sell your iPhone 5 to cover the ETF and the subsidized cost of the Verizon phone.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
My parents in NE Ohio were having the same issues with AT&T. They had perfect reception in their home for years until the beginning of the year. All calls were dropped. The local AT&T store said that there was no issue with the surrounding towers and that their service should not have changed for the worse.

Long story short - today they signed up for Verizon.

Sorry to hear they are going through this same nonsense. Hope they are happier with Verizon!

----------

That sucks OP. I'd be grieved to give up an unlimited data plan but if you can't use it then its no good. If you're under contract I'd try to get out of it--or you could just sell your iPhone 5 to cover the ETF and the subsidized cost of the Verizon phone.

The let me out of my last contract bc I was angry they wouldn't quantify the unlimited data... Back when they were throttling and changing the cap each month. I never left because they ended up quantifying it. I'm hoping I can get out agin bc I think I'd want to buy a phone off contract so I can have the option to come back if the reception improves.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Does more than one AT&T phone currently experience the issue? In a previous job roll I worked with AT&T customer service for issues with company owned mobile devices. If you have two or more phones having the same issue it's treated a little differently, meaning "one phone is your fault" and "two phones might be our fault". :) They do tune towers depending on what the need is and we had them adjust a local tower to provide better coverage at one of our offices. I would use their mobile app to report service and call quality issues and be persistent on your call to Customer Service. Let the CS rep tell you what they need to, then ask to speak with a Duty Manager. Unfortunately, your idea to move to Verizon may be your only recourse. My sister-in-law had to do the same thing in an AT&T dead spot where she lives. Emphasize the miles of service driving, not the service in your home.

But I didn't answer your question. If you don't want to leave AT&T then you need to do whatever it takes to stay, e.g., microcell and tech support calls, etc. Unlimited data and good pricing is irrelevent :D when you can't use it. I'd also make a Genius appt. to see what their advice is. They may have you reset your network settings or turn off LTE / Cellular Data altogether while in the dead zones.

In fact, now that I think about it... When did LTE light up at your house? Is your phone grabbing a weak LTE connection instead of a stronger 4G or Edge? Turn off LTE and see what happens. :)

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
My mom's 4s gets slightly slightly slightly better reception I've noticed when she visited here last... But still not really usable. My hubby has a Verizon phone and so do most of my friends. I haven't had a chance to compare with other phones. My comparison to my mom's phone was done using he field test mode. The problem started with my first iPhone 5 but wasn't present when I got it. The problem continued after getting my second one so I don't think Genius Bar will have much to offer. I do wonder if a droid would somehow be better but I'm tied to apple and the ecosystem that I hate to change.

All settings are correct. I've tried turning off LTE but end up on edge a lot at home which is strange bc I haven't been on edge since getting rid of the first iPhone. I've always had an awesome 4g signal... Well at least since the iPhone 4 came out;).

LTE has been on here for a while... Since before the iPhone 5 came out. I think it has been close to a year since it was turned on. Often my phone displays no service.... So it isn't even getting any signal;(. Frustrating since I can't text my droid friends from home.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
There was a thread on here earlier today.. About which phone has better reception.. The 5 or 4s. It got me thinking.. What if I tried a different phone on the same network... Like a droid. I wonder if it might work better. I wonder if they'd credit me for part of the cost of a different phone to see if it helps. I really hate to give up my pricing and data. It's going to cost so much more for everything I have over at Verizon. I'm going to ask for my reps supervisor since he rep never calls back and this has been going on for a long time!

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Poking around I see posts where people have resolved their No Service issue with resetting the network settings or getting a new SIM card. At this point I'd also try a hard reset (which I usually avoid). Good luck!

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows

But keep in mind, if you're used to an AT&T iphone, you may not be happy with the crippled Verizon model.

Call AT&T again and ask for a supervisor. Keep trying. I did when I was with Tmobile. One day tmobile called me from my drive way :). Finally, then, the problem was solved.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Does more than one AT&T phone currently experience the issue? In a previous job roll I worked with AT&T customer service for issues with company owned mobile devices. If you have two or more phones having the same issue it's treated a little differently, meaning "one phone is your fault" and "two phones might be our fault". :) They do tune towers depending on what the need is and we had them adjust a local tower to provide better coverage at one of our offices. I would use their mobile app to report service and call quality issues and be persistent on your call to Customer Service. Let the CS rep tell you what they need to, then ask to speak with a Duty Manager. Unfortunately, your idea to move to Verizon may be your only recourse. My sister-in-law had to do the same thing in an AT&T dead spot where she lives. Emphasize the miles of service driving, not the service in your home.

But I didn't answer your question. If you don't want to leave AT&T then you need to do whatever it takes to stay, e.g., microcell and tech support calls, etc. Unlimited data and good pricing is irrelevent :D when you can't use it. I'd also make a Genius appt. to see what their advice is. They may have you reset your network settings or turn off LTE / Cellular Data altogether while in the dead zones.

In fact, now that I think about it... When did LTE light up at your house? Is your phone grabbing a weak LTE connection instead of a stronger 4G or Edge? Turn off LTE and see what happens. :)

This is great advise. I had this problem and it was as simple as a reset of my network settings.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
We have done all the trouble shooting stuff twice including resetting network settings. The customer relations guy sent me back to tech support again today. I guess my closest tower is being worked on. It has been going on since the beginning of the year. My issue has been going on since about mid December. Funny thing is the customer relations rep looked up my towers like 10 times and saw nothing. :headslam.

I'm also going to get a new SIM card in case that helps.

So, the tower is being reworked. How long do I wait for this tower. She said they are fixing the LTE part but with lte off I get worse reception and plenty of spots with no service. She said 4g should be unaffected and it's not. They have no idea when the issue will be resolved.

----------

But keep in mind, if you're used to an AT&T iphone, you may not be happy with the crippled Verizon model.

Call AT&T again and ask for a supervisor. Keep trying. I did when I was with Tmobile. One day tmobile called me from my drive way :). Finally, then, the problem was solved.

I'd probably buy a used droid if I left AT&T... In anticipation of coming back to AT&T at some point and then I'd get a new iPhone. I wouldn't sign a contract with Verizon.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Just to update... In case anyone is reading... I got a new SIM card this morning and it didn't help. I'm at a loss about what to do now.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Yes, they said they would send one but that won't help out of the house and my microcell experience has proven it to be spotty at best.

Yeah thats the only thing I could think of aside from switching carriers.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Just to update... In case anyone is reading... I got a new SIM card this morning and it didn't help. I'm at a loss about what to do now.

Make sure they document the tower information they gave you in the ticket so it can be referenced by the next support person. I'd call them frequently for updates and also pursue a credit or some kind of "we're sorry" swag.

I'd also go to the BBB. They contacted Lenovo for a computer purchase I made when they didn't ship and were unresponsive. I got a call from Lenovo the next day. :)

BBB to report wireless issues:
http://www.bbb.org/us/
https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx?​siteID=113

Also, you can file complaints for varius issues with the FCC using the following site:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/informalcompl​aint.pdf

And via the FTC:
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

It doesn't surprise me that your issue started in December and the tower work started in January. It probably took them awhile to figure it out. I do feel that almost a month is a long time to have a flakey tower.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Interestingly enough... I added an extra line and got an S3 today and it had the same number if bars but worked better. No dropped calls and the Internet worked. I already returned it to avoid the monthly charge... I just wanted to see if it made a difference. I can tell the reception is still messed up but it seemed to handle it all better.

----------

Make sure they document the tower information they gave you in the ticket so it can be referenced by the next support person. I'd call them frequently for updates and also pursue a credit or some kind of "we're sorry" swag.

I'd also go to the BBB. They contacted Lenovo for a computer purchase I made when they didn't ship and were unresponsive. I got a call from Lenovo the next day. :)

BBB to report wireless issues:
http://www.bbb.org/us/
https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx?​siteID=113

Also, you can file complaints for varius issues with the FCC using the following site:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/informalcompl​aint.pdf

And via the FTC:
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

It doesn't surprise me that your issue started in December and the tower work started in January. It probably took them awhile to figure it out. I do feel that almost a month is a long time to have a flakey tower.

I think it is almost 6 weeks now!

I hadn't thought if the bbb. They offered a tiny credit and I laughed... And he upped it considerably. He said another tower may come online soon.. Like by mid feb. We shall see!

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Yes, they said they would send one but that won't help out of the house and my microcell experience has proven it to be spotty at best.

Of you are in range of a microcell in your home...you will have 5 bars. There really is no in between.

Turn off LTE on your phone and see if reception is better.

Do not take the word of a phone agent on towers. You need to be escalated to experts.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Of you are in range of a microcell in your home...you will have 5 bars. There really is no in between.

Turn off LTE on your phone and see if reception is better.

Do not take the word of a phone agent on towers. You need to be escalated to experts.
I have tried with LTE off and it doesn't help which is why I think the agent is wrong. They said the 4g part is fine and that they are only working on LTE.

I've escalated it to a case worker with customer relations not customer service. I'm trying!

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Think the best thing to do as you have had a new sim is to try a replacement iphone 5. Get it replaced by apple and if issue is still affecting you then you may really want to consider another carrier If AT&T are simply not able to resolve the issue for you.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Think the best thing to do as you have had a new sim is to try a replacement iphone 5. Get it replaced by apple and if issue is still affecting you then you may really want to consider another carrier If AT&T are simply not able to resolve the issue for you.

I did that a few weeks into the issue with no improvement but the S 3 worked better. I don't want to buy a new phone and start a contract again. I reall just want my old service back:(.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I did that a few weeks into the issue with no improvement but the S 3 worked better. I don't want to buy a new phone and start a contract again. I reall just want my old service back:(.

If the S3 worked better, then that means that AT&T coverage is fine. You have had a new sim, but that has not helped and you have had a replacement iphone and that has not helped either. Do other people on AT&T in your location suffer from the same problem too? If they do, then its something AT&T needs to investigate. If they do not, and it seems to be isolated to yourself. You may want to ask AT&T to disconnect your service and reconnect it, to see if this resolved the issue, if it does not resolve the issue and S3 worked fine, then it may be, that you now have had 2 faulty Iphone 5's, the one you have right now and the one you already tried.

You also mention that Edge seems to be better than LTE, when it wasn't before. That looks like they have revered the technology some how in there towers and started to use edge. Can they not send an engineer out to your location to do some testing? You would think such a huge company such as AT&T would care for the little guy/gal such as the average joe or average joanne.

buremarey

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
you can be in the room or room next to it and still get spotty coverage.
6f.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.